Bacon Cure Question

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Bacon Cure Question

Post by STICKSTRING » Tue May 13, 2014 23:55

Hello all, I have a quick Bacon Curing question for you all if you do not mind. I will be starting Len Poli's, Honey Cured Bacon, this weekend if all goes well. His recipe calls for 10lbs of pork belly. It does not give percentages, just specific amounts as follows:

4540 grams Pork Belly

360 grams Honey (7.93%)
200 grams Salt (4.41%)
200 grams Brown Sugar (4.41%)
45 grams Liquid Smoke (1.0%)
21 grams Cure #1 (.47%)

I did the math and came up with the percentages above (please correct me if my math is wrong). My pork belly is 14 lbs. My question: Can I use the above percentages and adjust this recipe for my 14lb slab?

Thank you very much!
Last edited by STICKSTRING on Sat May 17, 2014 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed May 14, 2014 02:16

If your numbers are correct it should work fine. I prefer using percentages in recipes as it takes out any guess work.

Good luck and post some pics :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 14, 2014 02:55

The percentages are about twice what I use but I don't drain the exudate.
Ross- tightwad home cook
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Wed May 14, 2014 03:50

ssorllih wrote:The percentages are about twice what I use but I don't drain the exudate.
Thank you, for everyone's response. I also agree, I thought the numbers seemed high as well. Although being that I've never made Bacon before, I figured Mr. Poli knows better then I do!
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Wed May 14, 2014 07:05

Just wanted to add a couple questions:

Can I use the percentages I came up with to increase the cure for my 14lb slab?

Does the large amount of cure, salt, and sugar seem ok in this recipe? A lot higher then in all of my books...

Len poli calls for 7 days of curing time. That is also much different then in all the books I own. His recipe calls for 7 days for a 10lb slab. If I increase the cure ingredients for a 14lb slab, should I still cure for 7 days?

Thank you,
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 14, 2014 13:24

The longer the bacon sits in the cure the more salt it absorbs. I have never had access to such large amounts of bacon so I usually cure 3 to 4 pound pieces in individual zipper bags and allow about 10 to 14 days with 2%salt .25% cure #1 and about 1.5 % sugar and molasses combined.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed May 14, 2014 15:48

Most of the time its best to follow a recipe/method as spelled out by the Author....if you don't trust them, try another that you do.

Lots of tried and true recipes for Bacon in the members recipe section in Hyde Park. I can vouch for Sons Of Bees...best bacon EVER.

Mixing and matching usually results in less than desirable results.

It is fine to adjust to the amount of product you are making. i.e. 13 lbs vs 10 lbs just keep the % as calculated the same.

Tweak a recipe after some success to fit personal tastes.

Or learn from Will Rogers-

"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn from readin'. The few that learn from observation. The rest have to Pee on the electric fence for themselves."
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Wed May 14, 2014 18:15

Bob K wrote:Most of the time its best to follow a recipe/method as spelled out by the Author....if you don't trust them, try another that you do.

Lots of tried and true recipes for Bacon in the members recipe section in Hyde Park. I can vouch for Sons Of Bees...best bacon EVER.

Mixing and matching usually results in less than desirable results.

It is fine to adjust to the amount of product you are making. i.e. 13 lbs vs 10 lbs just keep the % as calculated the same.

Tweak a recipe after some success to fit personal tastes.

Or learn from Will Rogers-

"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn from readin'. The few that learn from observation. The rest have to Pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Yes I agree, Thank you very much for your post. I do truck Mr.Poli, as so far, everything I have made using one of his recipes has turned out great. I guess my only question left is, should I stick to the 7 day cure as stated in his recipe? Or do I need to increase the cure time due to increasing the meat weight by 4 lbs?

OR does increasing all of the curing ingredients level out the playing field and make the 7 day mark good to go?

Thank you all again for all of your help!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed May 14, 2014 19:34

Here is a good rule of thumb from CW in the Sons of Bees Recipe:

The cure rate is one day per pound - up to 12 days. In other words, a ten pound bacon is removed on the tenth day, while a 14 lb. bacon should be removed on the twelfth day.

Changing dry cure ingredients will not increase/decrease the cure time...thickness of the meat will.

I personally would err on the long side of cure time
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu May 15, 2014 02:24

That's a VERY bad recipe!!!!
I wouldn't use it unless you like bacon that easily chars to a cinder, is EXTREMELY salty and is laden with excess nitrite beyond any well respected safe and practical standard.

What exactly are you looking for in a bacon recipe?
How do you prefer to prepare your finished bacon?
Godspeed!

Bob
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Thu May 15, 2014 03:21

Baconologist wrote:That's a VERY bad recipe!!!!
I wouldn't use it unless you like bacon that easily chars to a cinder, is EXTREMELY salty and is laden with excess nitrite beyond any well respected safe and practical standard.

What exactly are you looking for in a bacon recipe?
How do you prefer to prepare your finished bacon?

Thank you for your response! My wife and I love a honey cured bacon finished off with a pepper crust. My wife usually just fry's them up in a iron skillet.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu May 15, 2014 03:31

Question for Baconologist. Why would STICKSTRING'S recipe " Easily chars to a cinder"?

My vote is for "Sons of Bees" recipe :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Thu May 15, 2014 03:34

The recipe is not mine. It actually came off of Len Poli's site. I believe it will char easily due to the amount of sugar. That is a guess , but I am assuming that is the reason.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu May 15, 2014 03:42

Yup, that's one heck of a lot of sugar.

Do you fry your bacon crispy or do you prefer it otherwise?
Godspeed!

Bob
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 15, 2014 04:07

That bacon will be difficult to fry without burning.
Ross- tightwad home cook