I stole a new Bradley smoker

redzed

I stole a new Bradley smoker

Post by redzed » Thu May 22, 2014 06:42

Today I picked up a Bradley original smoker for 30 bucks at Habitat' Re-Store. Looks like it was started once but not used. Everything about it is brand new. There was a note that the heating element does not work. Will check it out when I have more time, maybe it's only the fuse. If not, I have a spare element. I already have a Bradley that I use now primarily for cold smoking, and Cabella's Pro-100 for sausage. But for 30 bucks, how can you say no? :shock: Besides, there is no such thing as too many smokers. :lol:
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu May 22, 2014 11:46

Hi Red,

I agree with you, no such thing as too many toys, only too small storage place. :mrgreen:
At one time they had lots of problem with the heating element, but start checking the fuse.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu May 22, 2014 17:25

Man, what a sweet deal, it's always fun running into something nice like that! I agree with Gulyas, you can never have enough toys, the problem is where to store them. I'd like to get set up to cold-smoke in the fall and winter but I just don't have the room anywhere. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu May 22, 2014 23:05

that's one helluva deal for $30 bucks ! :smile:
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Fri May 23, 2014 02:10

Nice score Red :grin:

How do you like the Cabela's pro 100 ?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri May 23, 2014 18:25

Gray Goat wrote:Nice score Red :grin:

How do you like the Cabela's pro 100 ?
Took me a few smoking sessions to learn all the nuances of the Pro 100. The best part about it is that it is well built, heavy and well insulated, unlike some of the other tin boxes out there. It has to be preheated well before use, in order to achieve the temp you want and have minimal fluctuation. I am happy that I can crank up the heat at the end and finish my sausage in the smoker, rather than having to poach. Having said that, I still poach sausages that actually require poaching. This smoker can also be set at a temp as low as 60F and seals super tight, so that it can be used as a fermentation chamber. What I don't like about it is that the sawdust or shavings burn very quickly, give off a lot of smoke and then you have to refill the pan again. I will be exploring buying some sort of smoke generator.It's virtually impossible to attain a lighter smoke.

And going back to my new Bradley, the element works, the fuse was OK, and the problem was that the fuse holder was not screwed on tightly. Must have been assembled on a day after a Chinese holiday!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri May 23, 2014 21:59

Hi Chris! I just got a e-mail from PS Seasonings telling me they make our Pro 100 smokers only in stainless steel now. Cabelas has them for $1399 in stock, where I believe they used to sell the SS model for $1799. The $1199 price we paid will become a thing of the past, I absolutely love mine. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 24, 2014 18:13

Hey Ray, I suspect that the Pro100 will be the last smoker I own, but will probably purchase a smoke generator to make it more versatile. Looking at the Smoke Daddy, but will wait to until my next trip across the border to get one.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sun May 25, 2014 07:15

Red - have you considered getting an "Amazn" pellet smoker? I couldn't be happier with mine. I fill it with pellets, light it with a blow torch, and go to bed. So simple. I made 7 lbs. of braunschweiger today, will smoke it tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun May 25, 2014 15:38

redzed wrote:Hey Ray, I suspect that the Pro100 will be the last smoker I own, but will probably purchase a smoke generator to make it more versatile. Looking at the Smoke Daddy, but will wait to until my next trip across the border to get one.
I'm thinking a smoke generator would allow you to cold-smoke on the Pro 100? I've smoked sausage, hams, turkey, and chickens on mine, and flipped the switch to 1250 and slow-cooked the best ribs and pulled pork we've ever had. Aside from making me a perfect vodka martini it's tough to envision the Pro 100 being more versatile. Soon, very soon, the Pro 100 will be called upon to perform it's most crucial task, smoking wild hog hams. RAY
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun May 25, 2014 20:27

Hi Red,
The best venturi smokers I have ever seen are made in New Zealand. I own one made by Alec Upfold. Google him. It works perfect, the smoke amount is adjustable and it's built like a brick sh-- house. It can burn a solid 24 hours non stop with a bit of manipulating.
Ash removal is very simple and quick too.
I was going to build one as I have all the facilities available but spare time was un-available, so I bought Alec's stainless masterpiece.
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue May 27, 2014 20:16

Cabonaia wrote: have you considered getting an "Amazn" pellet smoker? I couldn't be happier with mine. I fill it with pellets, light it with a blow torch, and go to bed. So simple. I made 7 lbs. of braunschweiger today, will smoke it tomorrow.
I have one and have been using it in the Bradley with the cold smoke attachment. Very efficient and inexpensive way to smoke. Will have to also give it a try in the Pro100. But I would like a smoke generator so that I could use my own wood rather than always relying on pellets.
sawhorseray wrote:I'm thinking a smoke generator would allow you to cold-smoke on the Pro 100?
I think it should allow you to cold smoke, but I don't consider it to be "cold smoked" with a temp of higher than 20C. So what that means is that the ambient temp should be no higher than 15C.
crustyo44 wrote:The best venturi smokers I have ever seen are made in New Zealand. I own one made by Alec Upfold. Google him. It works perfect, the smoke amount is adjustable and it's built like a brick sh-- house. It can burn a solid 24 hours non stop with a bit of manipulating.
Thanks for that Jan, I checked out Alec's generator and you are right in your description. But for a price of 300NZD, plus shipping, duty and taxes I'm looking at around 360CDN. Not sure whether it's worth that much. :shock:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu May 29, 2014 05:38

Red,
The Alec Upfold smoker model you need costs only NZ $ 100.00. You looked at the bigger one suitable for 9X10 professional smoke houses.
Cheers Mate,
Jan
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu May 29, 2014 16:28

crustyo44 wrote:Red,
The Alec Upfold smoker model you need costs only NZ $ 100.00. You looked at the bigger one suitable for 9X10 professional smoke houses.
Cheers Mate,
Jan
Upfold has a whole whack of videos about his generator on youtube but almost nothing out there about prices, shipping, etc. I will try to contact him. I also have been been looking at the NZ product, The Smokai, generator. What sort of reputation do they have?

Thanks,

Chris