"Disclaimer Container" - Where Did My Post Go?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Sat Jul 26, 2014 08:33

I would love to try my hands on some traditional Dutch rookworst(grove gelderse rookworst preferably) from scratch(if only I could find the right spice mixture). To be eaten with homemade sauerkraut.....
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

recipe format (proposed)

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jul 31, 2014 22:18

Recipe Format (Possibility)
Here's two more cents worth. It may be overkill- - I don't want it to seem like sausage making is difficult or too formalized, because it isn't and isn't. However, I ran across an message from Maxell, some time back, which hints at a recipe format that the Polish branch of WD uses. It might be useful to us during (and after) our project. On the other hand, it may turn off people. What are your thoughts?

Earlier, I tried to write it up as http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ght=maxell but the few who commented reacted negatively to the spreadsheet approach, and I don't blame them. What is handy, though, is the recipe format, which I summarize below. (Machine translation leaves a few "rough edges".)

Have a look, then help us all decide if it is useful or not. I like it because it helps me avoid forgetting recipe steps, but you may hate it for that same reason.
Duk
:mrgreen:

The two-part format looks roughly like the following:
=====Part 1======================
[title] Bacon sausage steamed
[amount](per 5 kg . material)
Recipe :
A. Raw material:
1 [name] [weight]
2 ...
B. Spices and resource materials:
I. Spices:
a) used for curing :
1 [name] [weight]
2 ...
b ) added during production :
1 [name] weight]
2 ...
II. Resources:
1 [casing]
2 ...
C. Form of raw material after treatment :
[item] split into 2 mm mesh at least two times.
[item] divided by a grid of 5 mm .
[item] into cubes of side 15 mm .
D. Form of the finished product :
Sausage in lengths of [length] cm. [details such as:] At one end of the loop for hanging length of 10-12 cm , the second end connected yarn .

===========Part 2====================
Manual abstract:
1 pickle : [details]
2 Shredding: [details such as:]
According to the recipe .
3 Fur ( double grinding ) [details such as:]
Beef class II or I ( sinewy ) and pork class III is passed at least 2 times through 2 mm mesh and then mixed with about 0.30 liters of cold water.
While stirring add the rest of the salt and spices .
4 Mixing: [details such as:]
For mixing we first prepared mass beef - pork with spices and water, then beef Class I or II ( no sinewy ) and jowls , and the final stage of mixing - sliced bacon . Mix until a uniform blend all the ingredients and obtain a proper consistency .
5 Filling and tying disorders: [details such as:] The mixed mass is filled with tightly intestine. We're tying the ends of the sheath yarn .
6 Deposition : [details:]
For 2-3 hours .
7 smoking : [details such as:]
Hot smoke for about 100 minutes . During the translation of smoking cues in the smokehouse.
8 Steaming: [details such as:]
The temperature of 72-75 degrees C for about 80 min . to reach inside the sausage at 68-70 degrees C.
9 cooling : [details such as:]
After brewing is cooled with cold water for 2-4 min . and placed in a room cooled to cool to a temperature below 12 degrees C. It is allowed to cooling to a temperature of 18 degrees. During or before cooling , it is recommended to pour hot water sausages ..
____
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Aug 01, 2014 14:40

My sausage making started with the beginning of B2 so I have become attuned to the format of recipes and explanations as presented throughout that exercise as well as elsewhere on the forum. I am comfortable with the form of presentation.

I am an accomplished hobby woodworker of 50+ years and dislike making a detailed drawing first before getting into a project. I much prefer working from a photograph or an imperfect picture in my head and letting the project evolve as I remedy the mistakes I might make along the way. I've never liked a straight jacket, which is what a formalized format feels like. Just my two cents, which in Canada aren't worth anything.
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Mon Aug 04, 2014 13:08

Hi All.
Sorry to be a pain, I see my free time disappearing by the minute.
Can we have a "to buy list" or the page of Stan's Book (have them all) we are intending to use.

Have the casings, Pork meat x 3 ready for three different Sausage.

Process driven would be the way for me as I need to be coached a wee bit.
I have just read the first posts and it attracts me all over again. Simple to gain experience was what is called for. (for me anyway) :lol:

Hoping all is well where every you all are.

Cheers Spud Oz.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 14:09

+1 to either a grocery list or a "decide on your style and post so we can jot it down" post. I'm working the next batch with my fellow sausage maker and it would be cool to move right into whichever style we choose to be part of this tutorial. Especially since I'm ordering culture, beef middles, and a temp/humditity controller today for a fermented variation of whatever we choose :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 14:23

Spud, you ol' salty dog! You can never be a pain. Always good to hear from you pard. :wink:
I'm a bit disappointed in the "sign up sheet" on this project, as we only have eleven folks. I've been dragging my heels hoping more beginners would see the project. However, we'll be moving on it in the next few days pard. I'm going to post a partial outline of the plan today; perhaps that will attract a few more participants.
Spud, You wrote:
Process driven would be the way for me as I need to be coached a wee bit.

Hey, I`m a good "coach". They benched me because I was too slow running from 1st base to 2nd base in my cowboy boots! :shock:

We will use the book, "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages"... by Stan and Adam Marianski

First of all, here`s how the roster looks so far:

Wedliny Domowe " Project KB" - For Beginners

1. Sambal Badjak
2. Shuswap
3. El DuckO
4. Grasshopper
5. Graybeard
6. Rgauthier20420
7. Spud
8. Oops1215
9. dabrjn
10. psykobillys
11. 2MnKids

A "closed" registration keeps sometimes overly critical "onlookers" from making comments that may appear to be overly harsh or even fault-finding. Quite frankly, these are sometimes made while under the influence of a little ruckus juice by folks who often regret a word or two the next day. They have, at times, asked me to change their remarks. It seems that people get brave when tipsy, and sometimes they get carried away with their opinion or recommendations while really intending to merely help. Beginners especially, may become offended by critical remarks passed on with only good intentions - especially those "rubberneckers" who just happen to look in out of curiosity. Believe it or not, there have been two or three times I have been able to spot and remove a caustic remark (unintentional or not), made by "overconfident individuals" who find it beneath their pride to even register for a "beginners" project. You would be amazed at how many people fit in this category. On the other hand, I have marveled at a few folks with years of experience behind them, who silently sign up, intending to help beginners with no big fuss! No phony pride involved - just altruistic intentions.

Shuswap wrote:
I am comfortable with the form of presentation. I've never liked a straight jacket, which is what a formalized format feels like.
I`m with you pard. I do, however, like to keep the "Check Yourself Up" questions in place. These exams enable interested participants to see how they are doing with their own progress. It is private and answers are included below each exam for your own reference. This can also be a great learning tool.

Okay folks....
We need your input and suggestions. We should move on this project within the next couple of days. Please look over the following suggested beginning plan and partial outline. This is YOUR forum. We can go as quickly or as slowly as you prefer and even semi-tailor it to your needs when necessary. But we DO expect you to take an active part, asking questions, taking the quizzes, etc.

PROPOSED OUTLINE: Proposed Plan for Project KB (Third project in making "fresh"-type sausages).
In order to gain basic knowledge and practical experience in several essential areas, I suggest making the following sausages while we study the accompanying posted learning material:

(A.) Learning the basics: "Mincing n` Mixing"
1. Smoked Pork Loin (Canadian Bacon)
2. "Fresh" type sausages:
3. Smoked Fish
4. Making bacon
5. Making ham

(a.)
(b.)

(1.) Smoked Pork Loin (ham) aka "Canadian Bacon"
This is a great way to start sausage-making and learn the basics. We`ll learn how to make a brine and change the very nature of meat, cure and salt the product, smoke meat with hickory sawdust, and make the finest "ham" you`ve ever had.
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#21252

(2.) 2.2 lbs. (1 kg.) Onion Sausage (loose sausage) - http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6787
Let`s learn about the basics of meat science and selection. Proteins and exudates. Phosphates. The pH and glycolysis of meat. Grinding techniques. Understanding cohesion forces (binding). Will it hold water? Storing and freezing meat.
( ) Reading activity
( ) "Check Yourself Up" Quiz

(3.) 5 lbs. (2.25 kg.) "Hip Shot" Hamburger Sausage (with soy protein concentrate) http://wedlinydomowe.pl/e...php?p=3911#3911
We`ll talk about meat color and flavor as we mix two different meats together. We`ll learn about "binding" and the reasons we use soy protein concentrate. No more shrinking, dry, hamburgers!

B. Casing Sausages
( ) Reading activity

(4.) 5 lbs. (2.25 kg.) Snagman`s "Downunder Pork n` Apple Sausage" - a terrific sausage for any meal featuring tart apples and pork neck meat. We`ll gain experience mixing and learn how to stuff sausage into casings, making proper links as we discuss various casings. We`ll talk about the basics of emulsification and have an opportunity to make an "emulsified" hot dog frankfurter while we learn about bacterial contamination of meat and safety procedures to prevent it.

(C.) Smoking sausage!
( ) Reading activity

(5.) Making an "emulsified" Hot Dog (Frankfurter).

(6.) 2.2 lbs. (1 kg. ) German Bratwurst (Brats in casings) (Page 211 in "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages" by Stan Marianski)
http://www.meatsandsausag...cipes/bratwurst
( ) Reading activity

(7.) Other ethnic sausages suggested by our participating members.

(D.) Smoking Fish!
Various recipes
(E.) Let`s Make Bacon
( ) Reading activity

(F.) Let`s Make Ham
Various Recipes
( ) Reading activity

G. Other Sausage-Related Various recipes
( ) Reading activity

(1.) Making "Tasso" - Cajun Pork Shoulder "Ham" - http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=22766#22766

Part II "Cured & Cooked" type sausages:

Cooking a "cured" sausage
Emulsified sausage
Why do we smoke this type sausage?
"Brown & Serve" sausages

(1.) 2.3 lbs. (1 kg.) Hungarian Csabaii by Snagman (See this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5245)
This Hungarian sausage is out of this world! Made with garlic and authentic, sweet Hungarian paprika, making this sausage will give us more practice in casing sausages, making more uniform links, and practice to avoid "smearing".
( ) Reading activity

(Continued...)
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:03, edited 3 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 14:34

Sounds good CW!
At the moment I have a slab of belly pork lying in a Chines style cure which goes into the smoker in a couple of days (for cold smoking as I happen to like cold smoked streaky bacon better than hot smoked.
I will be smoking at night time (below 15 oC) and can't really delay this as within a month or 2 our night temperatures will be 30 oC plus!
At this same period I will be making some smoked sausages and thinking of the Dutch rookworst. these can be done at daytime and will be finished of in either the oven, the smoker or being poached.

I will make notes and take pictures so I can insert them at the appropriate time :mrgreen:

And I got Marianskin's book about smoking fish and a maverick thermometer (et 732 I thinnk) on the way........

Definitely looking forward to making that smoked pork loin!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 14:47

Sounds good CW!
At the moment I have a slab of belly pork lying in a Chines style cure which goes into the smoker in a couple of days (for cold smoking as I happen to like cold smoked streaky bacon better than hot smoked.
I will be smoking at night time (below 15 oC) and can't really delay this as within a month or 2 our night temperatures will be 30 oC plus!
At this same period I will be making some smoked sausages and thinking of the Dutch rookworst. these can be done at daytime and will be finished of in either the oven, the smoker or being poached.

I will make notes and take pictures so I can insert them at the appropriate time :mrgreen:

And I got Marianskin's book about smoking fish and a maverick thermometer (et 732 I thinnk) on the way........

Definitely looking forward to making that smoked pork loin!
Hi Sambal,
Thanks for your response. Please let us know if we can help in any way with your bacon. It sounds great! You'll like home-made so very much more than the commercial stuff! Oh, and yes... yes... I found an authentic recipe for Dutch Rookworst! We'll certainly include it. :mrgreen: Hmmm, it seems that one of my horsethief, renegade, ancestors wrote it down while visiting a warehouse in Holland, but gave it up just before he was hung from an ol' cottonwood tree here in the west! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 14:54

Things look good to me. Although I don't have much an interest in smoking fish at the moment....or plan on paying it's ridiculous prices out here in Chicago.

Once we begin the cured and smoked sausages, maybe let's do a cold smoked Andouille? I recently made a batch and diced half of the pork and ground the rest. We also ground the frozen fat through the largest plate and stuffed it all. It had some amazing texture and flavor after being smoked with hickory and cherry for 2 hours.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Aug 04, 2014 15:25

rgauthier20420 wrote:...although I don't have much an interest in smoking fish at the moment....or plan on paying it's ridiculous prices out here in Chicago.
{insert Toledo joke here?}{...wouldn't DARE.} :???:

For those of you who missed a day or two, please see CW's outline of Project KB above. The smoked fish and the "Down Under Pork & Apple" will be completely new for me, and I look forward to trying 'em out. ...and rgauthier's cold smoked andouille sounds great (please share the recipe soon!). Looking at the outline, Project KB will be great!

...if only I can figure a way to cold smoke without waiting for a cold front to come through, next January. Given nitrite's protective properties, can we "cold" smoke at night, at 100°F? (...another one of those "Inquiring Minds" questions.)
(Maybe we could call it "luke warm, dark matter" smoke?)
(So much for the mandatory annual physics joke.)
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 15:29

el Ducko wrote:Given nitrite's protective properties, can we "cold" smoke at night, at 100°F?
Duk :mrgreen:
Duk,

I cold smoked these during the day and it was 100F or so in the smoker at the time. If you smoke at night and add a couple of pre-frozen gallon water jugs to the smoke chamber, you'll be good to go for cold smoking. The goal is to make sure the fat doesn't render, and at 100F or below, you're safe.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 16:09

@CW:
Why not allow people to sign up for this project once it is on the way?
This could be done in a separate thread and may give us some more participants while still preventing unwanted posts in this thread?
I figure that once we get going a number of people will want to join as to me it is not just for beginners.... There are some interesting new topics in it, and not limited to sausage making alone!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 04, 2014 16:15

100F is a bit off the chart for cold smoking. That temp would be in the "warm smoking" range and might work for some products but i'd be careful. I have a whole bunch of sockeye salmon to cold smoke and am waiting for the ambient temp to be below 20° (68F) to smoke it. Stan provides a good summary here:

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-sm ... ld-smoking
SalP
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SalP » Mon Aug 04, 2014 16:51

I am interested in this. Is it to late to sign up?
graybeard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by graybeard » Mon Aug 04, 2014 18:36

I am looking forward to getting started. It looks like some good sausage to make.