WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Aug 10, 2014 21:06

We live on the lake in northern MN. On the weekend people come up for the weekend. They don't fallow the eating etiquette, by disposing of there trash. Then comes the varmints (skunks). My neighbor call these people, trunk slammers. My 100 lb now 82 lb golden retriever got a hold of a 4 inch corn cob. They can digest the corn but not the Cobb. Had to have it surgically removed. It was not diagnosed for awhile, tell we had an X ray. Finally pooped this morning, so the pluming is now working. We are not out of the woods yet. But close. God help us all.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 22:51

Good to hear that your dog will be ok!, Some folks are just slobs. :roll:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 23:28

Mike ol bud,
That's a gorgeous animal! Beautiful eyes and coat. Wow... those things are just furry kids aren't they? Glad she's going to be alright.
Do they let you shoot the &*#l@+@)'s that leave crap around the lake? Twelve-gauge double-ought buck would do nicely! :evil: Grrrrr!
What's your dogs handle ol' pal?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Aug 10, 2014 23:49

CW Thanks for the reply. His name is Sam and he is eight. He sure was sick tell we got it diagnosed. At 69, I always have had a dog in my life and they all but one lived to a old age. The one before Sam (Andy) got lymphatic cancer and past at the age of five. We even tried the Wisconsin protocol. Your never the same after that.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 13:28

Ol' pard of Montana in your younger days...
Now, I've just got to ask... isn't the "coma induced" Wisconsin protocol for rabies?
Sorry about the loss of Andy. Just like losin' family huh! Hopefully ol' Sam will be lickin' your face in just the next few days. Man o' man... that dog is just beautiful!
I've raised "Shelties" in pairs all my life. Shetland Sheep Dogs make about the finest herding "cow dog" anywhere on earth.
Hey, Krakowska has a good lookin' animal also. Did you see it?
Scratch Sam behind the ears for me will ya? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 16:24

CW Maybe I am calling it wrong. It was done at the U of M in MN. Consisted of chemo and a lot of other drugs for eight weeks. We did have Andy for an extra seven months. I really don't know if I would do it that way again. Took Andy in for twitching and found he had cancer. Never the same meaning, waiting for the other wheel to come off the wagon. All the boys are gone so Sam is our fury partner know. Sam very rarely has been on a leash, so he is cussing us out. Not too mention the cone at night, till the stitches come out. Always look for the good and have hope.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Aug 11, 2014 17:27

My heart goes out to you Mike, that's a tough nut for Sam to have to endure just for being a dog. My chocolate lab Boo just turned eight the first of this month, she had a cancerous lump cut out about two years ago. I left the lampshade on all the time until the stitches were due to come out, my two springers taught me that taking it off even a couple days early can mean another two weeks of lampshade and missing the pheasant opener. My three previous dogs all lived to be thirteen and a half and were always treated with love and kindness, to us they've always been family. Give Sam a treat, he's a great looking Golden. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Tue Aug 12, 2014 18:48

Yep, dogs are all part of our soul. Hang tough Ray and Grasshopper. Had a little Brittany at 7 months, got hit by a SUV because he saw a squirrel across the street, tendon just gone in his left rear leg . Hunting days after that accident were over. His heart just busts when he sees doves or any birds. He is my buddy and still "Independent" lol Like I remember an old saying:

"Dogs are too good for the world, which is why we only get them for a little while."

My best buddy Renton, he is 6 now and the arthritis is getting to him in that leg.

He looks good but just does not have the stamina and motion of the leg, full bore he is running on 3.

I just love the heart of a Brittany, this is a tough article I found but I know we all have gone through this;
A Farewell to My Lovely Dog Grizzly

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/loss-o ... er-tribute
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 19:11

Dang that's a "perty" pooch! I really enjoyed reading about Grizzly too. That black and white photo of Grizzly is special, but then the photo of Renton is terrific. Geeeze, look at his tongue. I'll bet he can "slap" some smooches with a tongue like that! :shock: Fred, it looks like you take pretty good care of Renton. No doubt he takes good care of you too!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue Aug 12, 2014 19:31

Dogs are too good for the world, which is why we only get them for a little while."
Krakowska Thank you for the up lifting quote. The article brings out a persons emotions you have kept under your skin, but excellent read. One dog lover told me a good example. Put your wife and dog in the trunk, on a 90 deg day. drive around awhile then open the trunk and see who loves you. Always forgiving in an instant.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 22:49

Dogs will always be part of the family and their passing is like that of a child.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Aug 13, 2014 00:08

Something a little bit lighter:

Sorry guys, wrong leg lame on my dog, right rear, just getting old I guess. He IS MY GOOD BOY!
Keep them safe until they all come home.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Thu Aug 28, 2014 15:38

Went to the farmers market. This time of the year, there is a lot of vegetables at a great price. So I had to buy some red,yellow and green peppers. Now what! ? I thought of pickle or fermenting, like sauerkraut. I have done sauerkraut before, with the airlock system. Does anyone have a good good recipe for the peppers. preferably with garlic. I do have Sandor Katz book.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 28, 2014 15:49

I stuffed a half bushel last fall with sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Thu Aug 28, 2014 16:32

WOW Ross! I am a little brain dead, then what did you do. There is only Joni and myself, to eat my experiments. Thank God for Chuckwagon (bacteria) as we are still here.