Have a hard time making good breakfast sausage

snakeoil
Beginner
Beginner

Have a hard time making good breakfast sausage

Post by snakeoil » Mon Aug 18, 2014 20:50

Why cant i make good home made sausage like Jimmy Dean and some of the other sausages companies? The taste is ok but it always comes out tough not tender like the big sausage company's. any one have any ideas why this is? :roll:
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 21:03

snake,

Go into the beginner project thread and find the breakfast sausage recipe (page 5 maybe?). A few of us have made already. I made it and used it in a batch of sausage gravy for some biscuits and gravy. It was awesome. I added a little extra cayenne to the gravy itself that just made it perfect. Close to if not the best sausage gravy I've had...and I went to school in Alabama, where sausage gravy is king...next to college football.

Tender sausage would come more from cooking method than mix, but I'm sure a good fat to meat ratio will aid in a tender cooked product. Go try that recipe and then check back. Good luck!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 22:44

Snakeoil, you pose a great question. A question that many, many folks just don't seem to resolve. The answer to your question is.... "knowledge". You need some information and some "know-how" put into use. We've closed the registration for Project KB but will make an exception and include you in the membership if you promise to read the material already posted. I would also like you to take the self-check ups and note any questions that you miss. If you can't fine the answers by studying, we will answer them on the forum. Why not join us on Project KB? We've got the answers you are seeking, but it's going to take some reading and studying on your part. When you get the basic principles down, you'll make BETTER sausage than Jimmy Dean puts out. If you are up to the challenge, then come and join us. You'll be surprised what you will be producing in just a few weeks from now.
Here's the link to the project. It's in the "Beginners" forum. Click here... http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D