Old Ladies Aids

Bob K

Old Ladies Aids

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 20, 2014 19:56

Or should I say old farts aids.

I used to grind with a hand grinder, mix by hand, Stuff with a 3 lb horn. And wash all by hand to clean up. Arg!

Now its a 1 Hp electric grinder, Hand cranked mixer, and a 7L. stuffer.
Got all the toys out this A.M.

Time to try out the new curing chamber.

Pre mixed spices ,salt and cure last night.
And yea ground the spices with an electric coffee grinder.

4 kilo each of Sopressata, Finocchiona, and Pepperoni, done and in the fermenting chamber by early afternoon.

Stainless steel parts washing in the dishwasher.
Last edited by Bob K on Wed Aug 20, 2014 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 20, 2014 20:30

Good for you Bob.
I like your toys.
The ONE who dies with the most toys is the winner. :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:50

I also love your toys ! :mrgreen:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu Aug 21, 2014 16:13

When I get home today my new grinder will be waiting :grin: Friday my new digital scale measuring to 1/10's go a gram arrives - bring those lessons on CW :!:
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 21, 2014 16:24

Definitely a nice place room Bob! With place like that I'd never want to leave home !
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 08:19

Bob K - is that a Sausage Kitchen? Dedicated? I need to know how jealous I should be! My wife has so much of her own equipment for her various fermenting, juicing, culturing (and oh yeah cooking) pursuits that I have to keep all my stuff in an outbuilding and lug it in every time I start grinding & stuffing. I've thought...maybe one day...a Sausage Kitchen! Same wife, new kitchen - perfect! So what do you have going on there? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jeff
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:42

Jeff -
Naw that just our kitchen....tonight it will turn into a Pizzeria!

The grinder on the wooden cart wheels right back next to the Vacmaster when not in use. That stuff is getting too heavy to lug around. The rest gets put away.
Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Chef_Raoul » Tue Sep 08, 2015 00:22

Hey Bob,

If you don't mind me asking, is that a VacMaster VP215? I'm considering getting a chamber vacuum/sealer and looking at that model.

Also, Which grinder did you choose? I'm now making enough sausage that I am in the process of upgrading. I don't mind spending a few bucks on good equipment, but I hate wasting money on poor decisions.

Thanks
Chef Raoul
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Sep 08, 2015 13:41

Chef Raoul
Yes that is a Vp215. Great unit. I have used it now for 2-3 years without a problem. The only draw back is the largest bag is takes is 10X13". The oil in the pump is easy to change and the seal bar and gaskets are easily replaceable at a reasonable cost. Bags are a fraction of the cost of the foodsaver type bags. Big bonus is that you can seal liquids, so great for marinating and curing meats. The seal bar has a double seal and I have never had a seal that failed. The seal time is adjustable for different type bags and also the vacuum strength is adjustable. You can gently vac seal shredded cheese without it turning into a solid brick or turn it up for long term freezing of meats.
Best price can be had here http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vac ... VP215.html 799.00 with free shipping and they also carry the bags and other supplies. Great company to deal with.

The grinder well that's a #12 1hp no -name Chinese job from Ebay :shock: . Works fine for what I use it for but if I was going to do any volume I would look into a #22 or 32 Hobart or Tre Spade (Tre Spade makes the high end Cabellas grinders).
Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Chef_Raoul » Wed Sep 09, 2015 04:04

Thanks Bob,
Good to hear about the Vp215. Always like a reliable data point. I agree about the Hobart. There is no way I could justify a new one, but I would buy a used one if I could locate one near me. Shipping get a bit high on those heavy horses. Haven't heard about the Tre Spade, I'll look into them.
Chef Raoul
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Sep 09, 2015 14:16

I like your shelving arrangement. Ingenious.
Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Chef_Raoul » Fri Sep 11, 2015 23:02

with all your toys. do you have a favorite stuffer. I have a reasonable 10 pound stuffer but I need to upgrade. I am considering the 30# f. dick. would appreciate any opinion on the F. Dick stuffer vs. other products. Obviously, F. Dick is a big investment, but is it worth it? Again, I don't mind spending money for quality, just don't want to waste my investment.
Chef Raoul
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Sep 11, 2015 23:11

Hey, Chef- - if you are going to Cabella's for that grinder, give me a shout. We live about 15 miles from the Buda, TX, location.

You can come up through Luling (stopping at City Market for brisket) and go back via Lockhart (Black's or Smitty's for more brisket), or come up 290 and detour through Elgin for some great sausage. ...then, deduct it as an R&D expense on your business's income tax.

Duk
SausagesWest.com
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Chef_Raoul » Sat Sep 12, 2015 00:30

hi Duk,

Do you know anything about Cabella's grinder or stuffer. I need to upgrade and really don't know about just what brand to go with.
Chef Raoul
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Sep 12, 2015 03:22

I confess- - I bought both of mine based on price. One was a $100 Kitchener #22 from Northern Hydraulics, where I had a store credit and a discount coupon. The other was a small "Open Country" #10 grinder from WalMart that was being closed out. I'm happy with the Kitchener. The other one is just too under-powered to do the job.

You'll see all sorts of recommendations on WD as well as on SausagesWest.com, many pricey models that the hobbyist crowd really don't need. If your business specializes in sausage-based dishes, great. Otherwise, a hobbyist grinder might just fill the bill. Get a powerful one, given the choice. Speed (#/min) is probably secondary. (What are ya gonna do, flood the place with mince?)

Here's some info on machine sizes, if it'll help (but you probably know this): http://wdbmedia.com/chicago-food/docume ... 0Sizes.pdf

Best regards,
Duk
SausagesWest.com
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.