"Disclaimer Container" - Where Did My Post Go?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 05:27

Wedliny Domowe " Project KB" - For Beginners

1. Sambal Badjak
2. Shuswap
3. El DuckO
4. Grasshopper
5. Graybeard
6. Rgauthier20420
7. Spud
8. Oops1215
9. dabrjn
10. psykobillys
11. 2MnKids
12. SalP

You're in Sal P!
Sambal Badjac wrote:
Why not allow people to sign up for this project once it is on the way? This could be done in a separate thread and may give us some more participants while still preventing unwanted posts in this thread?
I figure that once we get going a number of people will want to join as to me it is not just for beginners.... There are some interesting new topics in it, and not limited to sausage making alone!
Sambal, in the past we've found that in a few weeks time, members have considerably more understanding and even use some new "lingo". When people join in after a week, they are behind to begin with, must catch up to the others to even discuss the projects, and ask for repetitive explanations. Hesitating for new beginners, project members who wish to press on, become irritated and in one case (in Project B), the project actually stopped for a while and became "stale". Catching up is pretty tough to do after a week. Lots to learn. After a week, it is better if they catch the next project and start on time.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 07:16

OK, I bow to superior experience :mrgreen: (just joking, I see your point)
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:14

Project KB
(Our third "fresh-type sausages" project for beginners)

Registered Participants as of Aug 7th, 2014

1. Sambal Badjak
2. Shuswap
3. El DuckO
4. Grasshopper
5. Graybeard
6. Rgauthier20420
7. Spud
8. Oops1215
9. dabrjn
10. psykobillys
11. 2MnKids
12. SalP

OUTLINE:

(A.) Learning the basics: "Mincing n` Mixing"
1. Smoked Pork Loin (Canadian Bacon)
2. "Fresh" type sausages:
3. Smoked Fish
4. Making bacon
5. Making ham

(1.) Smoked Pork Loin (ham) aka "Canadian Bacon"
This is a great way to start sausage-making and learn the basics. We`ll learn how to make a brine and change the very nature of meat, cure and salt the product, smoke meat with hickory sawdust, and make the finest "ham" you`ve ever had.
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#21252

(2.) 2.2 lbs. (1 kg.) Onion Sausage (loose sausage) - http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6787
Let`s learn about the basics of meat science and selection. Proteins and exudates. Phosphates. The pH and glycolysis of meat. Grinding techniques. Understanding cohesion forces (binding). Will it hold water? Storing and freezing meat.
( ) Reading activity
( ) "Check Yourself Up" Quiz

(3.) 5 lbs. (2.25 kg.) "Hip Shot" Hamburger Sausage (with soy protein concentrate) http://wedlinydomowe.pl/e...php?p=3911#3911
We`ll talk about meat color and flavor as we mix two different meats together. We`ll learn about "binding" and the reasons we use soy protein concentrate. No more shrinking, dry, hamburgers!

B. Casing Sausages
( ) Reading activity

(4.) 5 lbs. (2.25 kg.) Snagman`s "Downunder Pork n` Apple Sausage" - a terrific sausage for any meal featuring tart apples and pork neck meat. We`ll gain experience mixing and learn how to stuff sausage into casings, making proper links as we discuss various casings. We`ll talk about the basics of emulsification and have an opportunity to make an "emulsified" hot dog frankfurter while we learn about bacterial contamination of meat and safety procedures to prevent it.

(C.) Smoking sausage!
( ) Reading activity

(5.) Making an "emulsified" Hot Dog (Frankfurter).

(6.) 2.2 lbs. (1 kg. ) German Bratwurst (Brats in casings) (Page 211 in "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages" by Stan Marianski)
http://www.meatsandsausag...cipes/bratwurst
( ) Reading activity

(7.) Other ethnic sausages suggested by our participating members.

(D.) Smoking Fish!
Various recipes
(E.) Let`s Make Bacon
( ) Reading activity

(F.) Let`s Make Ham
Various Recipes
( ) Reading activity

G. Other Sausage-Related Various recipes
( ) Reading activity

(1.) Making "Tasso" - Cajun Pork Shoulder "Ham" - http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=22766#22766

Part II "Cured & Cooked" type sausages:

Cooking a "cured" sausage
Emulsified sausage
Why do we smoke this type sausage?
"Brown & Serve" sausages

(1.) 2.3 lbs. (1 kg.) Hungarian Csabaii by Snagman (See this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5245)
This Hungarian sausage is out of this world! Made with garlic and authentic, sweet Hungarian paprika, making this sausage will give us more practice in casing sausages, making more uniform links, and practice to avoid "smearing".
( ) Reading activity

(Continued...)
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Chuckwagon being replaced?

Post by grasshopper » Fri Aug 22, 2014 03:29

I have heard through the grape vine that Chuckwagon will be replaced by Redzed. To me if it is not broke don't fix it. In all the years I have been looking and then registering on the forum. Chuckwagon has been there to give a helping hand. Probably not going to be interested in it anymore. Just like a kick in the heart. A good example to me was when project B2 got taken over by the higher end of sausage making (dry cured using a chamber ect) He tried to stay basic and ended up starting project KB for beginners. I think there are more people on this forum who are interested more than just dry cured and can learn a lot from Chuckwagons teachings. I know I have. I am just an old horseshoeing tool & die maker. Learned it from the gut. I can tell you if a man has it, just how he handles a wrench or gets under a horse. Chuckwagon, Marianski and Kutas all learned from experience. (from the gut) Some people have degrees and like to brag. I really can give many more examples of how great Chuckwagon ran this forum.To me somebody from Poland took on to much smoke Sorry as I am VERY upset about this. Hope this doesn't get deleted.
Last edited by grasshopper on Sat Aug 23, 2014 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 03:43

This would be very sad indeed. I hope it's not true...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 22, 2014 05:19

If this is true it would not be an improvement. I like both men very much and both are very capable and both contribute greatly to the forum. Redzed has a language advantage but that shouldn't preclude anyone.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Aug 22, 2014 15:37

I also hope this isn't true. I think Chris (redzed) is a great guy, buy there's only one Chuckwagon. His knowledge of food safety, recipes, sense of humor, and humility are in a class all their own. I've learned more than I can even remember from CW, tons of files on my computer and a thick printed recipe book in my kitchen. I'm not at all interested in dry-cure products, to much dilly-dally and equipment for the ten pounds of salami and pepperoni I throw on pizzas per year. Why fix something that ain't broke? :mad: RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Fri Aug 22, 2014 16:15

Could not have said it better Ray (sawhorseray) short and to the point. I usually ramble. This forum is chuckwagons and should always be that way.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 20:43

What brought this all on!!!!!!!! Bazza (CW)is the forum as far as I am concerned.
He has helped me so much since I joined this Forum.
The proof is that I am still alive.
Cheers,
Jan.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Aug 22, 2014 23:15

We all have praise for CW and how well we have been served by his tutelege but consider the fact that over 12 hours have passed since this thread started and the key players have been silent. Might I suggest (without having any knowledge) that CW's needs might well be more important than ours.

One thing I know for sure is that there are people on this forum that have more knowledge about sausage making and cured smoked meats than I am capable of taking in and Redzed is one of them. Let's let things play out. CW would expect nothing less than a little patience from us.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 00:40

Hi all you good lookin` people! RockChuck WagonTrack here. I very much appreciate your support and don`t quite know how to thank you all. There is no big mystery about all this but it is certainly a surprise to me. Vtek the administrator in Poland sent me the following words yesterday:
I have a request to you. Enter redzed'a the ins and outs of working a moderator. A long time ago I wanted to give him this function.
So pards, it appears the time has come for me to step down. Shucks, I was just getting warmed up too! I just got back from the doctor and he says I`m healthy as a horse. I was happy being the moderator of WD. It has been a real kick. I`ve met a lot of great friends and we`ve even been over some bumpy ground together. All in all, we`ve ironed out many problems together and I think the world of all of you. I don`t know if all of you will understand, but I feel like you are all "family".

I suppose I`ve yanked someone`s chain the wrong way and I wish Redzed luck. As far as me showing Redzed the "ins and outs", all I can say is this: You will eventually find that sausage making skill, degrees, education, and "things", don`t amount to a handful of horse$hit when it come to being a moderator... all a person HAS to do, is love people.

My very best wishes to all my friends at WD. May you continue to learn and have fun doing it.

Yours Very Truly And Sincerely,
Chuckwagon B.R. Bryner
Salt Lake City, Utah
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Aug 23, 2014 01:13, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Aug 23, 2014 01:06

Thanks from the bottom of by heart Barry for all you have taught me. You are a man among boys and I will always admire the desire and ability you have to share one of your loves. Heck I think you loved us more than your wives :shock: . I hope you will not fade away my friend.

Dave Zac
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Aug 23, 2014 01:15

I for one am thankful the reason is not ill health. CW I'm sure you know not to look in the rear view mirror. I believe you have/are an elected official - don't know if you have lost an election yet but I have and it is not fun! I also know what it is to be fired and by the guy I introduced to the company. What the hell, there are more important things in life. I hope we haven't heard the last from you :!: Be assured you have many folks, including me, who always look for a CW posting when signing on to the forum.
Live life well and be happy.
Thanks for your loyal and dedicated service!
Phil
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Aug 23, 2014 01:24

BTW CW, in my day Peter Drucker was the management guru and he said that if you hadn't been fired at least once you weren't trying hard enough :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 23, 2014 01:36

Barry, it has been a great ride. I am sure that Chris has looked closely at the level of work he is agreeing to accept. I absolutely respect the work that each of you have displayed here.
Ross- tightwad home cook