Preparing For Winter

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Preparing For Winter

Post by Shuswap » Sat Sep 20, 2014 15:15

It`s a year now since I attended a one day course on sausage making. It has been quite a journey encouraged by DW who also likes meat and by following the WD forum. I`ve now got my processing equipment, except perhaps a mixer. DW was tired of mining in the chest freezer because of my inventory of pork and back fat so we now have a vertical freezer that is fantastic. That left an empty chest freezer. I`ve been trying UMAi bags rather than have a chamber and they seem to be working out ok so the chest freezer will be used for inventory. I recently discovered a small slaughter house in our region. This family run business also raises "wild" boar and fallow deer. I`ve just ordered a side of pork, some venison trim and wild boar trim. I`ve arranged to have the side cut into sub-primal cuts except the shoulder, picnic and ham. Like Sambal I`m hoping to sort out my smoker to add to the variety of output from this yummy hobby. It is going to be a fun winter practicing a bit of butchery and making sausage. :grin:
Phil
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 15:33

Phil, Sounds like you will be busy this winter.My plans are to construct a smoking chamber once works slows down. We will both have some fun and this forum has had a lot to do with my renewed interest in all aspects of sausage making. Thanks all for sharing your knowledge ! Dave
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 20, 2014 17:08

Happy anniversary Phil! It's a great hobby and this site is a great complement to it. I started making sausage about three years ago and have never looked back. My father learned the butcher trade in Poland and eventually owned an abattoir in Sask. I spent my summers working there while going to university but did not have any interest in the trade or the business. I wish I had paid a bit more attention to many aspects of the operation then. I still get advice from my dad and call him often with questions. I get information from him that is not available in any books or forums.

How much did you pay for that side of pork? I've been looking at getting one here from a local farm but the cost is shocking. :shock:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 21, 2014 03:35

Hey, Phil- - looks like, this coming summer, WE will have to pay YOU a visit. You'll have such an inventory of good things to eat that you won't want to leave home.

...but we'll bring the smoked brisket.
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Sep 21, 2014 04:31

el Ducko wrote:Hey, Phil- - looks like, this coming summer, WE will have to pay YOU a visit. You'll have such an inventory of good things to eat that you won't want to leave home.

...but we'll bring the smoked brisket.
Duk
:mrgreen:
Duk, bring it on! The guest bedroom is ready. Love Texas brisket! :grin:

Redzed - what a background! This self education at my age is a challenge but I do remember the shot in the forehead and hanging the pig to bleed it out then dunking it in hot water and scraping its hide (or was it the other way around) - I was about 10 yrs old. It's been a great life, eh!
Phil