Air dried goat leg

Aaron
User
User

Air dried goat leg

Post by Aaron » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:55

Hi everyone, I had a great time in Spain sampling all their lovely jamons ...Yes, I paid out several times for some Jamon Iberica.....But to be honest...Some of the cheaper hams had a more gamy flavor which (in my opinion) made it more tasty...But, it was all just lovely!

My local goat milk supplier is going to drop a couple of males in a few days time and I've asked for one of the back legs ....It's not really the right time of the year here in Australia but I am right down South on the west coast that makes us a little cooler than Perth.. Anyway.. My question is this......Skin on or skin off????.......
Also...How long in the kosher salt.........??????
and do I really have to keep it in the fridge????

What I would really like to do if poss is to rub the leg with my salt and herb mix and put into a food grade plastic bag and put large garden rocks on it to help squeeze out the blood while its in its salt cure.......for howeverlong then hang it for several months

Any comments please would be great....Thanks
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Sep 25, 2014 13:29

You should follow safe procedure just like anything else.
I dry cure venison and lamb leg...pretty the same deal ...I forgo fancy aromaticis and just use salt and pepper.

Here are a couple links that should help.....

http://honest-food.net/2009/07/21/goat-ham-anyone/
http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... iutto.html
Godspeed!

Bob
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Thu Sep 25, 2014 15:29

Hi Aaron! Good to have you back! Long weekend ahead too!
Male goats can have a strong smell, so a lot of spice may be necessary!
Jan
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 01:04

Thanks for your replies...
Yes, I'm looking forward to the weekend.....Thanks Janlab for the tip in males being on the nose a bit!
Thank you Baconologist for the links ...i'll check them out.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Sep 26, 2014 07:02

Aaron the dry cured goat leg project sounds fascinating! Can't give any help on this as I know nothing about goat meat, and ate it only three times in my life. I would, however, assume that you cure it without the skin, since it would be quite a chore to de-hair it, and I'm sure that when you get the leg off that buck it will be already skinned. And yes, you will need to initially cure it in the fridge. I would also add Cure #2 to the curing salt. Use amounts and process like prosciutto and aromatics similar to those for breasola (beef).

Please take notes, pictures and file reports here. We will all learn from your adventure.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 14:21

Thanks Redzed for all the info
I'll try and do a step by step account......
Should be fun trying it ...even if it doesn't work out...

Cheers!
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sat Sep 27, 2014 13:30

Another question......If I was to buy a salami with that lovely white culture on it and hang it close by to my goat leg....Would that good bacteria jump across to the goat leg??????
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 28, 2014 06:03

Aaron, there is a possibility that mould spores from the salami might migrate to your goat leg. Mould is actually a type of fungus and not a bacteria. It is improbable that the bacteria used to ferment the salami would affect the meat. Bacteria are used in solid cuts by commercial producers, but it is done by injecting the meat and tumbling since the the cells of the meat are small and difficult for the bacteria to penetrate. Most hobbyists do not use bacteria starter cultures on solid muscle cuts.

You will need to be vigilant about harmful moulds growing on the meat. The moment you see any grey, green black or hairy moulds wipe them off with a clean cloth dipped in vinegar.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:56

Thanks again Redzed
I will keep a close eye on any molds of that description
I was asked if I wanted the leg stretched out before rigamortice set in....I didn't rally know what I was supposed to say there but I plumbed for the leg to be stretched as I thought it would be easier for carving off the meat
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 28, 2014 13:18

Rigamortis!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 16, 2014 05:48

Hey Aaron! How about an update on that goat leg!
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 04:49

redzed wrote:Hey Aaron! How about an update on that goat leg!
I'm sorry to say that I have failed miserably!
The farmer kept making excuses each week as to why they had not dropped the goat and it became obvious that they were all talk and no do.....I even arranged with them to drive to their farm to pick up and when I got there they said they had forgot!!
I have since spent a month in Spain for compassionate reasons and now it's Christmas so I can now boast NO GOAT!!
On the plus side...I have now sourced what I hope to be a more reliable source of rare breed pig farmer instead so I'll wait for the cooler months before I attempt that project. This same farmer has saved me the head and offal from a pig spit BBQ he had over the Christmas.
So I'll be looking at Pig Cheek and brawn recipes along with some pates to make from the liver, kydneys and heart etc.

I am now also the proud owner of a very nice electric meat mincer that doubles as a sausage maker..all stainless steel...a "Double M " product..1 horse power motor. Reverse switch and reset button.
I have some Kangaroo in the freezer and a whole pork belly so I think the two combined will make for a nice sausage and it will give me a chance to try out my new Christmas present

If anyone has been successful with a goat proscuito I would like to hear their account!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 29, 2014 07:19

Hey, that is really too bad about the goat leg! I was reading somewhere, and now I forget where about air dried goat meat, when I remembered your project and wondered how it was coming along.

Great to hear that you are still entertaining yourself with sausages. Make sure you file reports on those brawn/headcheese goodies. And I think that many of us here are not familiar with that Double M machine. Can you post some pics?

Best wishes,
Chris
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Mon Dec 29, 2014 14:13

Hi Aaron,

Wellcome back! Hope things in Spain are ok...

Too bad bout the goatleg, but pig is likely better. Where is it from? Maybe MB? I'll be interested in sharing if you can't accomodate a whole pig. Mine is growing and fattening other side of Albany, for slaughter in June.

I'm off to South Africa on Wednesday, but will catch up when i return.

Jan L
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 00:02

Hello Jan

Thanks for your post
Doctor Goodness from the Saturday Market is my new sauce of pig..His family also own Bakers Junction

Good to hear that you would consider to share a whole pig with me but this guy knows how to charge so I'll get a kilo price from him before we comit
If you wanted to make some money from your stock id be interested in sharing yours too when you slaughter in june

I'm trying to get an image up on my post so I downloaded the "Imageshack" site that this forum uses but I can't work it out?..any help there would be good.
When I browse it just takes me to files on my own computer so I tried dropbox but still cant figure it.....

I guess you are catching up with family in South Africa so hope you have a nice time