Loaf Lunchmeat

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Loaf Lunchmeat

Post by Rick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 17:23

I was in a small grocery store the other day that had a meat counter with the various lunch meats from the big meat packers, this one in particular was Eckrich Meats and it was a Pimento and Pickle Loaf.

As a kid, I remember fondly the various loafs such as Football Loaf, Honey Loaf, Pimento and Pickle Loaf, Olive Loaf, Old Fashion Loaf, Ham Loaf, etc. These were pretty much used for my school lunch sandwiches and considered a household staple. Otherwise it was P&J or Spam! Surely a step up from my fathers depression days when it was bacon grease sandwiches!

I've noticed that sausage such as Kielbasa, Italian, brats, etc. that are stuffed into a smaller casing are the most popular on this site, or any site for that matter. Lunch loafs are a subject that don't come up all that often. I suppose the closest we get to it is with bologna.

As you know from my previous posts, I've perfected my headcheese process (a personal problem) which has provided me, as well as others, a nice lunch time sandwich this past week.

I'd certainly like to make some of the other loafs mentioned above, but proven recipes are far and few to be found. Why is this? Have they just fallen out of favor, or is it they require a meat slicer that folks don't generally have in their equipment inventory, a way to emulsify, or possibly people are too busy now a days to pack and carry a lunch!

I'm hesitant on purchasing the commercial meat producer's products for the same reason I don't like to buy commercial bread. I'd rather make my own for the reason that when you make your own bread, it can mold sitting on the counter in 4 days or so, where as commercial bread is still good looking after 3 weeks sitting on the counter! This has to tell you something! The secret being in the listed ingredients.

So if any of you are like minded, and dabble in making lunch meat loafs or chubs from the days gone by, I'd be very interested in hearing about your endeavors.

Rick
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Oct 11, 2014 18:58

I make a few favorites from time to time.

In addition to recipes found here and other similar forums there are dozens of recipes on Len Poli's site.....

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm#LUNCHEON
Godspeed!

Bob
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 19:26

Thanks Bob. I forgot about Len's site, I'll have to take a look again to see what he has.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 11, 2014 21:12

Rick the problem with the lunch meat put ups is the shear volume of food in one perishable package. I make some large cased sausage that I slice and freeze for sandwich meat. This turkey roll is a good example.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 21:28

Ross, good point and well taken!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 11, 2014 22:40

Rick, I think that we could make 1 kilogram batches and wrap them in oven roasting bags and cook them in loaf pans. If we get the size and shape pretty close we could make several and freeze them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Oct 12, 2014 13:18