Kangaroo meat sausage

redzed

Kangaroo meat sausage

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 17, 2014 16:41

Pioro, one of the members on the Polish WD forum was visiting Australia and while there made some sausage with Kangaroo meat. Pics and ingredients he used are below. So a question to the downunder gang, do you make kangaroo meat sausage? If so, how about some recipes? What about wallabies?

1000g kangaroo meat cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
800 g kangaroo meat ground through 8mm plate
800 g pork belly and shoulder ground through 5mm plate
250 g chicken breast groungs through 2mm plate
Pepper, caraway, garlic, coriander, nutmeg, allspice
Cure # 1 and salt

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 04:12

Over the years I have eaten plenty of Kangaroo meat mainly from flyers(Females) on extended hunting trips. Never ever made sausages though.
We were all too busy getting the quota of 5000 Roos.
Mind you this was many years ago when some stations were totally over run by them.
Kangaroo meat is for sale in the supermarkets but at such inflated prices that nobody buys it.
While on holiday in Tasmania I tried smoked wallaby/possum sausage. It tasted OK but at $27.50 per kilo I still prefer my csabai and rookworst.
Cheers,
Jan
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sat Oct 18, 2014 13:14

crustyo44 wrote:Over the years I have eaten plenty of Kangaroo meat mainly from flyers(Females) on extended hunting trips. Never ever made sausages though.
We were all too busy getting the quota of 5000 Roos.
Mind you this was many years ago when some stations were totally over run by them.
Kangaroo meat is for sale in the supermarkets but at such inflated prices that nobody buys it.
While on holiday in Tasmania I tried smoked wallaby/possum sausage. It tasted OK but at $27.50 per kilo I still prefer my csabai and rookworst.
Cheers,
Jan
That's interesting to know Jan as a friend of mine has no trouble picking up the odd roadkill if it has just been hit in the head....He will gut it out and hang it for a few days etc from his verandah with just a matress cover or sheet over it to keep the flies off....He will normally take out the backstrap and freeze the rest for a rainy day but he has never to my knowledge made sausage.......Do you reckon it would be ok to take some of his frozen roo to put through my grinder as it is sausage to be cooked...yes???..not to be airdried?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 20:11

Aaron,
I would try his frozen Roo meat for sausages. Make Csabai and use 50% pork/50% roo.
Mind you I have made Csabai with 100% rumpsteak for a friend of mine.
They turned out good.
So have a go Mate.
Cheers,
Jan.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Mon Oct 20, 2014 14:07

crustyo44 wrote:Aaron,
I would try his frozen Roo meat for sausages. Make Csabai and use 50% pork/50% roo.
Mind you I have made Csabai with 100% rumpsteak for a friend of mine.
They turned out good.
So have a go Mate.
Cheers,
Jan.
Csabal sounds interesting!.... OK..I'll give it a go...The pork I'm assuming to add some fat and to reduce some of the gamey flavor?.....What herbs/spices would you recommend?

Thanks
Aaron
Aaron
User
User

Re: Kangaroo meat sausage

Post by Aaron » Mon Oct 20, 2014 14:37

redzed wrote:Pioro, one of the members on the Polish WD forum was visiting Australia and while there made some sausage with Kangaroo meat. Pics and ingredients he used are below. So a question to the downunder gang, do you make kangaroo meat sausage? If so, how about some recipes? What about wallabies?

1000g kangaroo meat cubed into ½ inch pieces
800 g kangaroo meat ground through 8mm plate
800 g pork belly and shoulder ground through 5mm plate
250 g chicken breast groungs through 2mm plate
Pepper, caraway, garlic, coriander, nutmeg, allspice
Cure # 1 and salt

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/ ... 9bcc4b.jpg]Image[/URL]

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/ ... ea9d13.jpg]Image[/URL]
Your spices sound good...I'm wondering what it would taste like with a little hot spice like cayenne or chilli.......I have recently been experimenting in the kitchen with Moroccan spices for our evening meals and the flavous are to die for...I'm wondering if the same ingredients would suite a sausage......Harrisa, Ras el hanout and while on this...has anyone tried preserved lemon with their sausage????.It might take Roo to the next level!!! Lol.......
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 17:42

Aaaron if you like those flavours consider making a "roo merguez". It is a spicy North African sausage made with lamb or lamb and beef. Now if you used a 50/50 kangaroo lamb mix you might have something there! I have never made anything like that and have never tasted kangaroo, but would certainly experiment. Years ago while in Spain I had some great merguez at a travel stop served in a cardboard box on a bed of cous cous. Maybe I was really hungry but still remember that meal.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=11569#11569

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/merguez
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Tue Oct 21, 2014 07:29

redzed wrote:Aaaron if you like those flavours consider making a "roo merguez". It is a spicy North African sausage made with lamb or lamb and beef. Now if you used a 50/50 kangaroo lamb mix you might have something there! I have never made anything like that and have never tasted kangaroo, but would certainly experiment. Years ago while in Spain I had some great merguez at a travel stop served in a cardboard box on a bed of cous cous. Maybe I was really hungry but still remember that meal.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=11569#11569

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/merguez
Thanks Redzed for the two links..I'm looking forward to giving it a go.....It will make a change from breseola!.....In fact it will be my first real sausage....I'm just waiting for the next roadkill!

regards
Aaron
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:35

Aaron, lets rather buy some Roo and make the sausages. Much cleaner than roadkill... i may have a source for "petfood"!
Jan