Toasted Fennel And Anise In Pepperoni

Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Mon Feb 24, 2014 17:35

I´m aware that the americans prefer their Pepperoni so tangy that it can save those who suffer from too low stomac acid, but 20 grams of fermentable sugars pr. kilogram meat! Wow!! That pepperoni must recall the pleasure of biting into a unripe lemon :oops:

For CFred: Yes, for this recipe I´d say like Red; grind the Fennel. But toasting it...? Sounds temptingly kinky :grin:

You can of course also experiment and make it in "Finocchiona" style by adding Fennel seeds whole, but the long time maturing of this italian treat also brings out some fine aroma notes that not really obtainable in the fast fermented´n semi cooked US´style pepperoni.

Wonder a bit why there is no Anise included? :roll:
Nor a pinch of crushed garlic....
I thought you guys over there liked rich´n zesty taste with an edge?
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 05:01

Shucks, I just assumed everyone automatically toasted their fennel. It releases essential oils that cause yer' ear tips to grow pointed and your tongue to roll up! :roll: Tarnation ya all, if we catch someone NOT toasting their fennel around these parts, we usually run them out of town on a rail! :shock:
Hey, Igor has a very good question there. Why not a little anise? Anybody got an answer?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Feb 26, 2014 18:08

Hey wait a minute, toasted Fennel???? I had never thought of doing that.

Maybe there should be a section on preparing spices.

As far as Anise a little goes a long way....I always add some but too much reminds me a lot of licorice.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 18:24

Bob K wrote:Hey wait a minute, toasted Fennel???? I had never thought of doing that.

Maybe there should be a section on preparing spices.

As far as Anise a little goes a long way....I always add some but too much reminds me a lot of licorice.
I always toast all and any seeds used in sausage before grinding them. Metal pie an, 350° oven for five minutes, Really brings out the flavor, makes the house smell great. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Thu Feb 27, 2014 18:20

wow I'm gonna try toasting some fennel soon....I definitely don't wanna get run out of town on a rail or beat at a hitching post :D

So if you add anise, do you take what the recipe calls for and add 1/2 fennel and 1/2 anise? I've seen some pepperoni stick recipes that call for both and I've seen similar recipes call for just fennel
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Feb 28, 2014 16:34

C Fred-

50/50 is a good starting point. As always a recipe is a starting point and develops to "taste"
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Sat Mar 01, 2014 05:05

Thanks Bob...I'm gonna try it this weekend on some pepperoni sticks. I've actually never tried anise compared to fennel. I need to do that and see the taste difference too!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Mar 01, 2014 07:58

checkerfred wrote:Thanks Bob...I'm gonna try it this weekend on some pepperoni sticks. I've actually never tried anise compared to fennel. I need to do that and see the taste difference too!
Be real careful, a little anise goes a long long way. On it's own it has the taste of black licorice,, which I hate, but can impart a nice flavor to sausage, and I use it sparingly. Check out Rytec and CW, it comes into play, but not on a overwhelming level. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:51

Don´t ask me about licorice flavour because in Denmark it´s almost our national sweet or candy - personally can´t live without it! Especially the salty ones :mrgreen:
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Mar 01, 2014 15:01

sawhorseray wrote:
Be real careful, a little anise goes a long long way. On it's own it has the taste of black licorice,, which I hate, but can impart a nice flavor to sausage, and I use it sparingly. Check out Rytec and CW, it comes into play, but not on a overwhelming level. RAY
I agree on the taste Ray (sorry Igor) But Ryteks pepperoni recipe (1984 version) calls for only Anise and I tried it that way ....once
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Sat Mar 01, 2014 22:47

Bob K wrote:
sawhorseray wrote:
I agree on the taste Ray (sorry Igor) But Ryteks pepperoni recipe (1984 version) calls for only Anise and I tried it that way ....once
His 2008 4th edition book calls for 5tsp per 10lbs is that about right or is that what his 84 version calls for?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Oct 26, 2014 18:05

Thoughts on Toasting spices.

I have come to the conclusion that toasting spices like Fennel and Anise and then adding to a sausage may not be such a good idea.

Yes it smells wonderful when toasted and ground ....but aren't we releasing the aroma and flavor into the air and not the sausage?

In my current batch of Finocchiona I had increased the amount of fennel but had toasted it and its definitely lacking in the fennel taste dept.

Same lot of spices as the previous batch so that was not a factor.

Anyone have any thoughts :?:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 27, 2014 17:43

That is something I've often wondered about, but following the recent trends I have been toasting my spices. When I mentioned this once on the Polish forum, members there wrote that the concept was unknown to them. And yet so many chefs and foodies promote the toasting of spices before grinding and seasoning all types of food, including sausages. I guess the best way to determine which way is better would be to make two batches of the same sausage, one with toasted seasonings and the other without. :grin: