what kind of meat slicer should i get

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

what kind of meat slicer should i get

Post by king kabanos » Wed Nov 05, 2014 20:18

i want to but a meat slicer for bacon, baleron and other types of smoked meats but dont know what to get and what is good product? this one at cabelas looks preety good and wonder if anyone has it or knows of a better one in the 250 doller range, plus its on sale. its just going to be for home use

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cab ... t104577480
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Nov 06, 2014 00:49

I've had the 10" commercial model for about five years, does a great job, never a problem. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
DiggingDogFarm
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Thu Nov 06, 2014 01:31

I would definitely go with a bigger slicer like Ray's if you're going to be doing a lot of slicing.
If you intend to slice a lot of big chunks of cheese along with your meats it's important to have a slicer with a good amount of power because cheese puts a lot of stress on a slicer.

Check Craigslist or the like....sometimes you can find a great deal on a Hobart and if it's in good condition and you have the room...they're a great investment because Hobart is a solid company and parts are usually available, even for many of the older machines.

I used to have a big Hobart automatic that I picked up years ago when a deli went out of business..it was a great slicer...but huge!!!

We have a little Chef's Choice slicer now which suits us just fine because we have a tiny kitchen here and a lot of "stuff." :shock: I just make sure I don't make anything bigger than what it can handle. :grin:

~Martin
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Thu Nov 06, 2014 08:29

Get the biggest one you can afford
Jan
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 09:51

Get a good Brand name, either new or S/H. Cheap Chinese ones are a pain and a waste of money.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Nov 06, 2014 13:43

DiggingDogFarm wrote:I would definitely go with a bigger slicer like Ray's if you're going to be doing a lot of slicing. If you intend to slice a lot of big chunks of cheese along with your meats it's important to have a slicer with a good amount of power because cheese puts a lot of stress on a slicer.Check Craigslist or the like....sometimes you can find a great deal on a Hobart and if it's in good condition and you have the room...they're a great investment because Hobart is a solid company and parts are usually available, even for many of the older machines. :grin: ~Martin
That's great advice, it doesn't get any better than a Hobart. A month after I bought mine years back I saw a commercial grade Hobart on sale on Craigslist for about a hundred bucks less than the one I bought from Cabelas. I like what I've got just fine, but a Hobart is a better piece of equipment. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Thu Nov 06, 2014 14:35

Hobart or good Italian
J
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Thu Nov 06, 2014 18:02

ok i found this hobart slicer on Craiglist for $300 do you think i should go with this one its used and in good condition they say or the brand new cabelas 10 inch for $230 there is a link below for both

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Nov 06, 2014 18:44

king kabanos wrote:ok i found this hobart slicer on Craiglist for $300 do you think i should go with this one its used and in good condition they say or the brand new cabelas 10 inch for $230 there is a link below for both[url=http://s25.postimg.org/cdgdvq6q3/00y0y_ ... 00x450.jpg]Image[/url]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cab ... t104577480
That's a decision that only you can make. You really want to take into account how often a piece of equipment is going to be used. When you use a meat slicer it has to be thoroughly cleaned after each and every use, for quick kitchen stuff you'll wind up using a knife most often. Unless you are in some kind of business where a slicer is constantly in use you'll find that it can sit for quite some time before being called on. Personally, I like new. You know pretty much what you're getting if it's a decent piece of equipment, and you won't have to worry about how it's been cared for. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 06, 2014 19:39

High quality commercial meat slicers are very heavy and generally require two people to safely move them in and out of storage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 07:34

I have a Hobart 410 deli slicer from the 1950's that bought about three years ago for $300. Sleek looking, easy to clean and comes with a sharpening attachment.

Last year when spending time in Arizona, I bought an Italian made commercial grade Globe slicer for $250. It was barely used and in mint condition. A new one from a restaurant supplier was selling for $1,800. I was happy with my steal and thought I would sell the Hobart and use this big beautiful slicer. But, the thing weighed 60lbs and needed a lot of space so after slicing a hundred pounds of cabbage for sauerkraut with it, I put it up for sale. I was asking $900 and it took six months to finally sell it for $750. A buyer for a logging camp bought it.

I was at Cabella's today and looked at the 10inch "commercial" grade slicer they currently have on sale. Looks like a good slicer for home use, but I doubt any business would buy it.

So king, you have a choice to make and several options and it's really tough to make a recommendation.
DiggingDogFarm
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 07:43

king kabanos wrote:ok i found this hobart slicer on Craiglist for $300 do you think i should go with this one its used and in good condition they say or the brand new cabelas 10 inch for $230 there is a link below for both

[url=http://s25.postimg.org/cdgdvq6q3/00y0y_ ... 00x450.jpg]Image[/url]

If the Hobart is in good condition, I would definitely go with the Hobart!!!!

~Martin
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:00

[quote="redzedI was at Cabella's today and looked at the 10inch "commercial" grade slicer they currently have on sale. Looks like a good slicer for home use, but I doubt any business would buy it. .[/quote]

I'd agree with that 100%. Another thing to think of grabbing if you are in the market to buy a meat slicer is a pair of top quality Kevlar gloves. There will come a time when you'll be needing to remove that circular blade for cleaning or sharpening, the awkward blade shape can cut you BAD, Kevlar gloves are very handy to have. RAY
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 15:15

I picked up my Hobart at a yard sale for 200 bucks. On ebay for the same slicer any wheres from 800-1300 bucks. Its old but solid and yes it takes two to move it. It is now in my basement on my meat cutting table and will never move again :grin:
If you get a good deal on one that would be hard to pass up, but like others have said the end decision is yours.