UMAi dry pepperoni

Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

UMAi dry pepperoni

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Nov 30, 2014 19:39

I used the UMAi website recipe which I believe is Marianski's. The sausage was fermented for three days and then into the fridge for two weeks. Total weight loss was 38% but they are still a bit soft in the middle for my taste.

Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Mon Dec 01, 2014 05:07

Looks great frm here!
JL
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 16:10

Nice
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Dec 01, 2014 17:05

Looks tasty Grey Goat!

You could firm them up a bit by drying longer or vac sealing and storing in the fridge for a week or three to even out the moisture.

When drying you can also go by "feel" instead of entirely by weight loss...if you squeeze them and they feel mushy....the mouth feel is usually the same.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Dec 02, 2014 16:16

Gray Goat, there is a thread on the Umai site that I started because my pepperoni batch was not drying - I finally threw in the towel at just under 30% but it is very good. Jim at Umai was very responsive to my questions
http://www.drybagsteak.com/forum/17-dry ... -pepperoni
Phil
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 01:05

Thanks for the replies :grin: I think I will try them again after a few weeks in the vac seal
like Bob suggested.

The taste and aroma are fantastic :mrgreen:
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 03:54

Bob K wrote:You could firm them up a bit by drying longer or vac sealing and storing in the fridge for a week or three to even out the moisture.
After a few weeks vac sealed and in the fridge, the texture is much improved :grin:

Thanks Bob !
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 09, 2014 17:57

Glad its working Grey Goat.
One of the hardest steps in making good fermented sausage (especially the first batch) is waiting.
vstyn

Re: UMAi dry pepperoni

Post by vstyn » Thu Dec 03, 2020 16:13

Can someone the directions to make dry pepperoni using Stan Marianski recipe and drybag.

Thanks Vic
I need to learn dry sausage
redzed

Re: UMAi dry pepperoni

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:04

Hello Vic, welcome back. If you are are using this recipe https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... peroni-dry just follow the instructions up to and including the fermentation. Then stuff into the Umai salami casings, they are very strong, so you can fill them tightly, but not to the point where they will start stretching. Then place in your frost free fridge running at a regular temperature. The pepperoni will be ready in about 4 weeks when it reaches about 35% weight loss. There are a couple of things in Marianski's recipe you could change. The amount of sugar and dextrose (plus the sugars in the paprika) will result in a product with a bit of a tang, as I expect the pH to drop to about 4.8. If that is what you like, then go ahead and follow the recipe. If you would like a milder, more traditional tasting sausage, 2 grams of dextrose will be enough. Since you will be drying at low temps, you don't need Cure #2. Nitrate reducing bacteria are quite useless at temps under 10C, so Cure #1 will suffice.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.