Cure calculators and recipe spreadsheets?

redzed

Cure calculators and recipe spreadsheets?

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 16:51

We are all familiar with the handy cure calculator that is available on our sister site, http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... calculator

But there are other calculators and recipe spreadsheets out there that are useful tools for us when we make sausages and cured meats. I would like do create a list and "sticky" it so that it would be available to us for quick reference. If you use a calculator or spreadsheet please post the info and link here.
DiggingDogFarm
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Fri Dec 12, 2014 17:44

Cure calculator on my website.....
http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html
The calculator factors the salt in the cure into total salt content.

More details here.... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1245 ... calculator

Here's one of my spreadsheets....
Sausage & Meat Curing Recipe Template w/Scaling & Calculators......

Below is a spreadsheet recipe template that I put together, I thought that some folks may find it useful.

It includes three different types of scaling and additional calculators.

It's intended to be used with gram measurements only for best accuracy, especially when scaling.

An accurate gram scale should be used (preferably high resolution.)

Before starting, click "File" in the upper left and then "Save as..." (or equivalent) to name the new spreadsheet and save the original template.

The green column is the batch multiplier...change the number in the upper green box (cell G3) to take the numbers in the base recipe "Amount" column and multiple them by cell G3 to get the scaled ingredient amounts. Example multipliers, "0.5" for half a batch, "2" to double the batch, etc. etc. etc.

The yellow column is the meat weight scaler, enter the weight of meat on hand in to the upper yellow box (cell G4) to take the numbers in the base recipe "Amount" column and multiple them by cell G4 to get the scaled ingredient amounts.

There's a Baker's Percents column to the right as an additional scaling option.

The spreadsheet was created in LibreOffice Calc (*.ods) and converted to Microsoft Excel (*.xls). I don't have Microsoft Excel (I absolutely HATE Microsoft) to check for formatting errors, so some formatting errors are possible. I've included both files and screenshots to confirm the formatting.

I've also included a sample recipe in the same file to demonstrate some of the options.

Please inform me of any errors.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Here's a screenshot of the template:

Here's a screenshot of the example recipe:

In the above example the the scalers are used as well as the cure calculator. The cure calculator was used to to adjust the salt in the recipe to 1.8%, the 15.66 grams of salt from the calculator was entered into the "Amount" column of the base recipe.

LibreOffice/OpenOffice .ods format (Recommended).... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_tI8g ... sp=sharing

Microsoft Excel .xls format..... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_tI8g ... sp=sharing

Check, double-check and triple-check all recipes for safety and accuracy.

Have fun!

=Martin=
Last edited by DiggingDogFarm on Fri Dec 12, 2014 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 17:44

Good idea, your more than welcome to use the one I posted for weight lose.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 17:55

Now if only someone would go through and enter all of Len's recipes into the diggingfarm version for easy scaling :roll:
rdstoll
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rdstoll » Tue Dec 16, 2014 15:47

Hi this is my very first post on this site. Thank you for all the information.

I've recently purchased one of Marianski's books (home production of meats and sausages) and am plowing my way through it, with a particular focus on cures.

I'm planning on cold smoking some pork belly (bacon) and have recipes to do so. I've nailed down the Cardinal rule of just one level tsp of Cure #1 per 5 lb of belly weight but have a question regarding how much salt and sugar to add to this cure.

On the DiggingDog site calculator it shows "Desired Salt" and "Desired Sugar" as inputs but being such a newbie at this I have no frame of reference for what "desired" means for these two items. Are these just personal tastes?

A member on another forum gave me this guideline for bacon: For every gram of meat weight, you want 0.25% of Cure #1, 3.0% for Salt and 1.25% for Sugar.

What I'm trying to understand is how these salt/sugar ratios were arrived at - I suppose it's through testing and tasting. The DiggingDog calculator seems to have a ratio of 2% salt and 1% sugar which is somewhat in the ballpark of what the other forum member gave me.

A related question to this is: I'm planning on adding some other spices - is there a rough guideline of adding X% of additional spices?

Thanks,
Rob
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 16:11

Rob, here's a link to a good read on why some of portions are what they are.

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/secrets

Lots of great info in there that I frequently go back and forth too. As you make your own, be sure to write down how much of each spice is used. When they are done, you'll be able to go back and comment as to what you're able to taste and if it's what you were expecting. This is how you'll begin to get a grasp of how much will give what flavor and you'll lead yourself to making something that you like.
rdstoll
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rdstoll » Tue Dec 16, 2014 16:55

Wow that is great - I missed that section of the site and haven't gotten to Chapter 12 yet in the book! But that's exactly what I was looking for!!