question about dry cure and how much to put on a 5 p belly

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

question about dry cure and how much to put on a 5 p belly

Post by king kabanos » Fri Oct 31, 2014 20:36

i want to try this dry cure on some bacon and chuckwagons recipe calls for 25 pounds but dont want to do that much. i am going to buy 5 pounds of pork belly should i use the same amount or cut the ingridents in half?

Sons Of Bees Bacon
Honey Rubbed, Maple Flavored, Dry-Cured Bacon

All along the upper Green River in eastern Utah, we see beehives and of course the best honey comes from the little "sons of bees" found near the shorelines of clover meadows near Vernal. Cowboys hand-rub fresh honey into ham as it cures for even more sweet flavor. Here`s the recipe that works for us - I stole it from Rytek Kutas way back when.

25 lbs. pork belly @38°F.
1-cup kosher (non-iodized) salt
1/4 cup Prague Powder #1
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tspn. freshly cracked black pepper

Also for rytek kutas book of suasage and meat curing he has this recipe same thing for 25 pounds of meat and wondering also to cut it in half or not? aslo has anyone tried this recipes.

honey cured bacon

1 cup salt
4tb cure no 1
2 cups of honey

he says enought to cure one slab of bacon. anyone tried these recipes and how are they. i usually do wet brined and never done a dry cure on meat.

Also anyone have a fantastic wet brine recipe? or any other dry cure ones?

another thing i have a lot of pictures of kielbasa, kashanka, kabanosy and some baleron i have to post so they will come soon
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 31, 2014 23:14

I've used the Sons Of Bees Bacon recipe many times and love it, always a big hit at my house. I always cut the recipe for the rub in half, seems to be plenty for a 8-9 pound piece of pork belly. After the second or third day add some water into the bag, maybe a quart, and rub it around a couple of times a day until you smoke. Try it, you'll like it! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Oct 31, 2014 23:32

I cant find the post but Nick (STICKSTRING) had the %"s of ingredients which is a lot easier.

STICKSTRING???
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 31, 2014 23:37

Bob K wrote:I cant find the post but Nick (STICKSTRING) had the %"s of ingredients which is a lot easier. STICKSTRING???
1/2-cup kosher (non-iodized) salt
1/8 cup Prague Powder #1
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tspn. freshly cracked black pepper

Easier that that? Really? Oh well.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 17:00

Witaj king! Nice to have you back with us! I have been waiting for pics and reports of the kiełbasa, kaszanka, kabanosy and balerony that you promised to post a few months ago.

As to your question about the amounts of ingredients to use on 5lbs of bacon using the Kutas recipe, you can simply use amounts in proportion of the weight of your bacon, that is one fifth of what the recipe calls for. You can also use Stan Marianski's recipe as a basis for the amount of salt and cure, and then add the appropriate amounts of the seasonings.
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... red-smoked

I would add more pepper than what the recipe calls for, 1tsp does not seem very much for a 25lb. batch. But that is a very popular recipe so maybe that amount works well with the other ingredients. I have not tried this recipe because I don't like maple flavoured bacon. :roll:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 01, 2014 18:17

Just for what it may be worth for my bacon from Butt slabs I use 3% salt and .3% cure#1 for my dry rub/cure, sugar and syrup are optional extras and I usually plan those as half as much as the salt.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 05, 2014 05:04

rdstoll
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rdstoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 15:28

Can I ask a question on this Sons of Bees bacon recipe?

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup Prague Powder #1 for 25lb of pork belly.

However, everything I've read on here says to use 1 level teaspoon or Cure #1 per 5 lbs of pork belly. 1 tsp = 5.66 grams so for 25lbs of belly would = 5.66 x 5 = 28.3 grams of Cure #1. But in this recipe, 1/4 cup = 12 teaspoons = 67.92 grams of Cure #1.

I just want to make sure I understand why the recipe seems to call for a lot more Cure #1 than what we're taught in the books.

PS I just want to say THANK YOU for answering all my questions. I'm clearly a newbie at sausage making, cures, etc but want to learn the craft the right way.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 23, 2014 17:29

rd-

The maximum allowable amount of cure #1 for dry cured bacon is 200 ppm.
So 5lb would require 7.26 grams

Most folks on this site recommend 120 ppm, basically the minimum amount to stay safe

You can go to the cure calculator and just fill in your numbers http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... calculator

There is a string on Bacon an nitrite here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
Last edited by Bob K on Tue Dec 23, 2014 17:39, edited 3 times in total.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 17:31

I could be wrong here but the 1 level teaspoon of Cure #1 per 5 lbs of meat is referring to ground meat and not whole muscle. For a dry rub on bellies and such more is added.
This is the recipe I have followed for years.

Ingredients:
2 oz. Kosher salt (about 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. Cure #1 (aka pink salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1)
1/4 C. Maple sugar or packed brown sugar
1/4 C. Maple syrup

5 lb. fresh pork belly
(Makes enough for a 5 lb. belly)

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 17:33

Bob K wrote:rd-

The maximum allowable amount of cure #1 for dry cured bacon is 200 ppm.
So 5lb would require 7.26 grams

Most folks on this site recommend 120 ppm, basically the minimum amount to stay safe

You can go to the cure calculator and just fill in your numbers http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... calculator

There is a string on Bacon an nitrite here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
Bob this is a dead link

Its Fixed
Thanks Devo
Last edited by Devo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 17:56, edited 3 times in total.
rdstoll
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rdstoll » Tue Dec 23, 2014 17:42

Okay that's helpful. I had seen 156ppm referenced a few times around the 'net regarding bacon cures (0.25% Cure #1 per weight measure) but I see that the official gov't limit is 200ppm for bacon, which would be closer to 0.32% of Cure #1 per weight measure.

I have to say it is surprising how many dry cure recipes for bacon are out on the 'net that call for multiples of the government limit.

I'm going to stick with my 156ppm for this bacon cure since that's right in the middle of the max gov't limit of 200ppm and the "minimum" that is recommended by folks on here of 120ppm.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 23, 2014 17:52

Thats fine rd

The 156ppm comes from the amount allowable in commuted (ground) meats.

There is a lot of confusion on correct amounts for different products.