Sous Vide Roast Kinda

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Sous Vide Roast Kinda

Post by Devo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 02:17

I have had this controler 1/16 DIN PID Controller w/Ramp/Soak Item #: SYL-2372P from .auberins.com and K type thermocouple 4"probe for almost three three years. I was going to put into my bigger smoker but never got around to it. Had some spare time this morning and decided to put it together. I had a case from work I borrowed :wink: before I retired so I used that to inclose it in. Not pretty but it works. Wired it all up and got my hillbilly sous vid going and did a auto tune. Got the pot of water up to temp (132° F) set it for auto tune. About 20 minutes later it was bang on. Checked the temp with my insta read thermapen and it was 1 degree off. Close enough.
Found a end of a beef roast that I had used for sausage, very small one all vac sealed so in it went. Left that there all afternoon and about 5:30 Pm I got my potatoes going in the BIG EASY. IT for those 210°F so the inside was fluffy, perfect. Topped with sour cream. Pulled the beef and seared in my cast iron frying pan. A little salad and dinner was served.

Oh and I managed to make bread today also :lol:
Last edited by Devo on Fri Feb 06, 2015 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 02:47

Got three loafs made tonight, should be good for a few days
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 07:37

Devo did you ever think about using the sous vide method to ferment sausage?
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29

I saw that on facebook, don't think I want to try it.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:53

Devo that All looks good!
redzed wrote:Devo did you ever think about using the sous vide method to ferment sausage?
Chris-
I had thought of that before building a fermenting chamber but Marianski stated in Fermented Sausages that if (during fermentation) humidity is too high and air flow is restricted the sausage would become slimy.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 15:16

Here is a link by Kyle Hildebrant who has been doing a lot of experimenting with this method.

http://ourdailybrine.com/sous-vide-salami-fermentation/
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 18:18

Yes, I'm aware of that blog, and even commented on it. Kyle's method also made me think about fermenting/curing in the umai bags. Can all bacteria in the starter cultures we buy survive in an anaerobic environment? I wish that the Tublin/Umai people would address this issue, since I really can't find any technical data on it. Something I need to do more research on.

Bob, There are guys on the Polish forum who live in Germany and ferment in water. I can't see somethindg that is immersed in warm circulating water coming out slimey. :shock:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 19:01

Ya since Kyle is still experimenting on this method and I saw you made a few good points I will let you guys write the paper on this type of fermentation. If my curing chamber is full I still have a few other options to control environment and it really does not need to be baby sat like Kyle has suggested. :wink:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 05, 2015 19:06

redzed wrote:Devo did you ever think about using the sous vide method to ferment sausage?
redzed wrote:Bob, There are guys on the Polish forum who live in Germany and ferment in water. I can't see somethindg that is immersed in warm circulating water coming out slimey.
Do they ferment in a water bath or ferment sous vide (under vacuum in a sealed plastic bag) ?
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Feb 05, 2015 20:07

Hi Devo, your bread looks wonderful. What's your recipe?
Rudy
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 02:23

Thanks Rudy
about three years ago I belonged to the Bradely smoker forum. There I met a fellow who has this sweet bread starter from Texas. There is a story to the starter and I was one of the lucky ones to get some. It has since been been dehydrated and sent around the world. There is a recipe for the bread dough but I have used it in and converted it to recipes I thought looked interesting. My favorite so far is using it in the easy crusty bread recipe I have. Makes wonderful bread for the morning. Freach toast is AHESOME.