Chinese bowl cutter

redzed

Chinese bowl cutter

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 08:09

For quite some time I've been looking for a used small Hobart or Berkel bowl cutter. Something that is reconditioned and in good operating shape runs at over $1,800. There are always a few around for under a thousand on eBay, but they are sold "as is", so without testing them in person, it's quite risky. So I found a small 5l machine in China and bought it. http://zzglory.en.alibaba.com/product/6 ... utter.html

The problem is that having paid $550 for the machine, I was told that it is now the busy season for bowl cutters and that they will be able to ship it when more are produced! The other issue is that a couple of the shipping companies gave me quotes of around $260 for air freight, but now it looks like it will cost over $500USD to ship it. Arranging it from this end through DHL or FedEX, costs $2,400!!!

And now I'm beginning to think, "do I really need the damned thing?"
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Chinese bowl cutter

Post by BriCan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 09:53

redzed wrote:For quite some time I've been looking for a used small Hobart or Berkel bowl cutter.
And now I'm beginning to think, "do I really need the damned thing?"
Funny I too was surfing the web for one of these tonight

I will take my chances across the line as a few of my friends have made a score and are well pleased

just my 2cents
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:56

redzed wrote:And now I'm beginning to think, "do I really need the damned thing?"
While it would be cool to have one due to their weight they pretty much need a permanent home.

How much emulsified product do you actually make?
Many places with a Buffalo Chopper still use a grinder to mince meat.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 16:02

BriCan wrote:Funny I too was surfing the web for one of these tonight

I will take my chances across the line as a few of my friends have made a score and are well pleased
You are right, there are a lot of good deals out there, and would be great if you know somebody in the area that could check something out for you. I was hoping to find one in the Tucson area this past winter but did not have any luck. A couple of years ago I bought a $2,000 Italian slicer that was almost brand new for $250 down there. I have been looking at this chopper http://www.gvsusurplusstore.com/berkel- ... o-chopper/ but they don't ship and the guy I talked to was not sure how well it runs. But it looks pretty darned good and a great price.
Bob K wrote:While it would be cool to have one due to their weight they pretty much need a permanent home.

How much emulsified product do you actually make?
Many places with a Buffalo Chopper still use a grinder to mince meat.
Bob, I probably will use it only occasionally, but have wanted one for a while. I don't make too many emulsified products other than liver sausages, but without one of these it's not that easy to make a proper product. It's really messy grinding stuff three times and my quisinart processor is just not made for chopping meat. And I hope to use it also for chopping frozen meat for salami. And I know it's going to cost me but, hey, my buddies spend a lot more on golf! :grin: And even old boys like to get a new toy now and then!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:24

To get good freight rates from FedEx you need to have an account with them with a history.
The only way for you get a Bowl Cutter from China cheaply is to find somebody that has an established FedEx account and is willing to let you use his account.
Discounts run just over 90%, again depending on the usage history.
Your Chinese supplier most likely has an account as well, just ask them and see what they can do on their end.
Good Luck,
Jan.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 04:51

If and when you get one Criss you will wonder why you did not get one before :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 07:56

Well they are still stalling with the getting the machine ready for shipment. I negotiated a price of $501 for air freight and delivery to my door. But then there will be Canadian taxes and a brokerage fee, so the cost of the machine will be less than the cost of getting it here. The darned thing is adding up! I think I might have to go back to work! I'm going to be in China in May, but I don't think they will let me take a 65kg wooden box aboard. :shock:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

passenger plane freight.

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:02

Chris, Talk to your airline. I have brought more than 65 kg back from China as long as they know beforehand. It wouldn't cost 500 bucks either.
Good Luck,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 30, 2015 07:00

Thanks Jan, I will contact Air Canada although it's almost impossible to phone their number and actually talk to a human being these days. And I was also told that they are not allowed to transport anything with motors by air cargo over mainland China. Apparenly this machine is to be shipped first to Hong Kong and then flown to Vancouver.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 07:56

My Chinese bowl cutter is finally on it's way! I have a DHL tracking number and it's sitting in Hong Kong waitng to catch a plane to Vancouver. I had a heck of a time finding a trustworthy forwarder and am even concerned about the one I chose, especially since they insisted that I pay to some anonymous Chinese comrade with a Western Union draft. Anyway, its supposed to arrive in Canada next week, just when I'll be in the Land of the Rising Sun myself. Sure hope that its not a piece of junk and that they remembered the extra knives I negotiated into the final price. At least it looks like they remembered to ship the 110v version.

The pictures were taken by the forwarder who emailed me and said that they picked up the machine and that it was in their warehouse. Before paying him I demanded proof.

BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 09:19

redzed wrote:My Chinese bowl cutter is finally on it's way! --- Anyway, its supposed to arrive in Canada next week, just when I'll be in the Land of the Rising Sun myself.
I could try it out for you before I leave for Blighty :wink:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:23

Well heck Red I could have sent you a picture of a empty wooden box if I knew you where going to pay me the money :razz:
Hope it all turns out to be a good investment for you.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

honesty

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 21:28

Red, sending money up front by Western Union to a 3rd person has me worried. Let's hope it all turns out OK for you and the machine does what it suppose to do.
We will all be looking forward to your posts about some superb products.
Cheers,
Jan
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 30, 2015 03:04

Well, I finally have my new toy! The Chinese bowl cutter arrived while I was in China. It took only 6 days from Zhengzhou to my garage, with DHL air freight. I was a bit concerned that I might have been scammed after I paid $580USD through Western Union for the machine and then another $501 USD for shipping, also through WU. The delivery man collected another $34CDN for fees and tax. And when I received the tracking info on it while it was in transit, the item shipped was described as a "noodle machine"!

Although I have yet to make anything, the cutter looks great and runs smoothly. Weighing 50kg., it's definitely a heavy duty commercial grade piece of equipment. I can't see it ever wearing out with my occasional home use. And I even got an extra set of those wicked looking knives. Like the Hobart, the hood, knives and bowl all can be removed for washing. It has a capacity of only 5 litres and is the smallest industrial quality machine available.

As soon as I get some time, I will be making a weisswurst and a Polish style liver sausage.

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun May 31, 2015 07:28

It's great to hear that you received the bowl cutter and that you are impressed by it's quality.
Can you mention the manufacturers in China where you bought it, some other members might want to buy one as well.
I have a #22 all stainless Chinese mincer, I am impressed with its performance and like your bowl cutter it will last us home sausage makers 2 lifetimes.
Cheers,
Jan.