WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 21, 2015 16:32

Anyone have the recipe for this sausage? :lol: I think it's some kind of Danish chicken sausage. Image

Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Chef_Raoul » Fri Aug 21, 2015 22:50

Red, I agree. We have abused this planet. At first, I was just going to not respond, only because this is a sausage forum, not a site to make political statements, but then maybe this is exactly the forum to truly do something that changes the world. it seem when I look through the members of this forum, While not calculating a specific average age, many members are in there 50's and 60's. We are of an age group where returning something back to the world becomes a major motivator in life. Sharing our life experience with the youth is one of the greatest gifts we can give back.

Members here grow vegetables, process meats, and have such a wide skill set. I've seen the difference in a young man who has worked for me for about 2 years. When I first met him, he had never eaten much more than McDonalds. He now knows how to make sausage, make coals from wood, utilize all types of foods and has an appreciation for just what can be done with food in general. I have seen this young man grow into something more then he expected out of life.

Now, I'm not expecting to change the whole world, but just think, if each member took our children, grandchildren, a neighbor, a child from a local school and mentored them in learning skills that have existed for years, what a difference we could make. Cost of food goes down, quality goes up, and we all begin to appreciate the gifts we are blessed with.

Just a thought!
Chef Raoul
Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Passing down the old world talents.

Post by Chef_Raoul » Sat Aug 22, 2015 20:48

Here is my first student, my daughter. She's been cranking for 12 years, she's 22 now and about to graduate from Texas A&M. It took me awhile to find out the critical variable, and it wasn't salt or cure - it is the music she listens to! Found that the old Motown songs doubles her output. She does crank to the beat.

She can use a pressure cooker for canning food, make sausage, cook most anything. She even runs the small smoker (it can hold 500 pounds of sausage or as many as 50 briskets). A new generation creating as my great grandparents did.

This was the first recipe I ever made, This batch I used the smoked color casing.

Chef Raoul
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 23, 2015 06:08

Chef you are blessed indeed. It sure is handy to have a helper when cranking out that much sausage, so you are lucky to have her! Wonderful way to spend time together!
redzed

October is Pork Month!

Post by redzed » Fri Oct 02, 2015 15:28

Celebrate and make some sausage!
Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Chef_Raoul » Fri Oct 02, 2015 22:22

Let's campaign for a national holiday. Begin naming streets after it..... Even get government founding to support it...... LOL
Chef Raoul
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 03, 2015 08:02

Chef R. that is a fantastic idea! Let's convince a developer to name a whole new development honouring the glorious pig! It would be called Porkdale, with names like Baby Rib Road, Porkway Blvd., Boston Butt Bay, Sausage Cres., Tenderloin Alley, Roast Pork Road, Puulled Pork Ave, Coppa Corner, and so on! We would all move there and elect you as the Head Cheese! :shock: :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 07, 2015 01:50

If you ever had doubts about bacon, read this!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /73444660/
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 26, 2015 17:09

We have known for a long time that there are links to cancer and high consumption of red meats and processed products. Now the World Health Organization has come out with an official statement on the issue. Kind of tempers our hobby and enjoyment of making and eating sausages. But like with other things that we consume, such as alcohol, a small amount won't harm you and may even be good, so like with everything else, eat and drink in moderation.
http://news.nationalpost.com/health/pro ... bly-is-too
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Oct 27, 2015 20:08

This is an excellent article to better understand the WHO report.
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org ... d-to-know/

Unfortunately people read only the headlines or listen to 2 minute TV reports, and base their knowledge from such sources.

My wife already announced today that we eat too much meat! :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 28, 2015 22:08

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 31, 2015 17:58

More scientific evidence on the consumption of red meats. :lol:

http://www.theonion.com/article/report- ... elly-51739
redzed

November 11 - Rememberance Day

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 11, 2015 17:10

Today is a very special day in that we honour and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Nov 12, 2015 21:48

Thank you for remembering the veterans. Too bad no one from the US did the same. I lost so many buddies in Vietnam and am thankful to be here today.
Rudy
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 21, 2015 23:40