resting time before smoking

pignout
Beginner
Beginner

resting time before smoking

Post by pignout » Fri Oct 30, 2015 21:37

I've been experimenting with all types of products for several years now. 1 thing keeps popping up and would like to know if there is a RIGHT/BEST way or if this is just the personal preference of the recipes author. That is resting time or not before smoking and cooking. The different ways i've seen are, mix all ingredients and put in cooler over night, mix all ingredients cool over night regrind stuff and smoke, mix and stuff and cool over night then smoke and cook. mix all ingredients stuff smoke and cook. I can understand the idea of letting the seasonings having a chance to meld while resting but is there any safety concerns which way is best as far as the effectiveness of the cure? Thank you all so much, this site is an awesome tool. KD
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Oct 31, 2015 14:41

KD-
That's a really hard question to answer. :shock:

The absolute safest way would be to grind/mix, stuff, smoke and cook, as this keeps the exposure to unwanted bacteria to a minimum.

The overnight rest will enhance the flavor/color development of the cure and spice mix. After stuffing or before grinding would be the safest way.

As long as you keep the mixture cold either way would be considered safe.

As far as the cure #1's effectiveness in helping to prevent botulism and other types of food poisoning, the effect is nearly instantaneous so no advantage either way.
pignout
Beginner
Beginner

Post by pignout » Sat Oct 31, 2015 22:50

Thank you Bob, I appreciate you clarifying this for me.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 05:04

I like to allow my seasoned mince to rest overnight in a stainless bowl, or food safe lug in the frig. However, I keep everything COLD throughout the process. Cleanliness and temps at or below 40 degrees F is the key when doing it like I mention above.