Free Free-Range Pork

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Free Free-Range Pork

Post by Butterbean » Fri Nov 20, 2015 05:09

Got this beautiful young sow the other morning.

Converted to smoked kielbasa

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Nov 20, 2015 16:38

Way to go BB!!!

The color of the kielbasa reminds me of venison.
Are you using Ham Hooks to hang them?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 20, 2015 17:39

BB I am jealous! How much did she weigh and did you add any pork fat to the sausage or is it all from the wild one? And all into sausage? How about a pic of the cross section?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Nov 20, 2015 18:35

Redzed, I didn't weigh her but taped her and based on that she weighed 87 lbs. She seemed like 300 carrying her out of the swamp. She had some pretty fat on her from the peanuts and corn she'd been eating but we skint her and after that it didn't look like there was enough so I added a little more pork fat. This went against my friends wishes but I think everyone was glad I did when we finished. I also added a about 10% venison.

I used the Cactus Gap Kielbasa recipe on this site to make it - with a few minor tweaks. One of the guys is a retired food salesman and he said it was some of the best he'd ever tasted. Don't know if that was influenced by his helping make it or not but he said he had a lot of polish friends and neighbors and would give them some of the sausages to get their review so it will be interesting to here how they like it.

We had a pretty successful hunt. They left here with two large coolers full of meat of various descriptions. I'm guessing around 200 lbs. I think we ended up with nine deer and the one pig. It was fun but a lot of work getting everything processed and frozen before they had to drive home.

Oh, yes, I am using ham hooks because the way I'm set up they are just more convenient than the sticks.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Nov 25, 2015 20:02

Another one bites the dust. Daughter and her boyfriend shot this one yesterday. Weighted around 110 lbs. Unfortunately its a boar. I cleaned it anyway and we'll soak it for a few days. I think its going to be alright. It had a faint smell of funk on it but not too bad.