Pulled the trigger on a Hanna Halo PH meter today!

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Pulled the trigger on a Hanna Halo PH meter today!

Post by harleykids » Wed Feb 03, 2016 17:28

I had to order more cut and tied beef middles, and more beef bungs so I went to the Craft Butchers Pantry website. The site is back up now after Evans move to Chicago.

He had the Hanna Halo PH meter on the website, so I went ahead and ordered one.
I also bought bottles of both calibration solutions (7.01 and 4.01), the bottle of storage solution, and the bottle of meat and grease cleaner.

The meter + the bottles of solution came to the same price as I was going to spend on a used Hanna 99163 meter on ebay. So I figured I would get the newly mfg'd meter and go that route instead.

This should give me a much more accurate PH reading than the strips I have been using! :-)

I also like the fact that you can leave the probe in the fermenting chamber, stuck in the meat, and have it log the PH drop over 48 hours, etc.

The meter requires a plastic bag to be taped over the top of it (it's not moisture proof), but that's no big deal.

I will post a user's review once I get a chance to play with it when I run my next batch of salumi.

Anyone have this meter already, and are there any tricks to using it?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Feb 03, 2016 19:52

That is a cool electrode!

Doesn't that also require an Apple I phone or I pad?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Feb 03, 2016 23:59

Sweet
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Feb 04, 2016 04:15

It requires Bluetooth low energy 4.0 (BTLE) iPad or any iPhone from 4x and above.

My wife and kids have iPhones, so I will use theirs.

I have an Android phone with BTLE (Samsung Galaxy Note 4)...wish they had an app for that.

I am particularly interested in being able to leaving the electrode sitting in the fermenting chamber (my oven for now) and watching the PH level drop over the 48 hours or so when using the B-LC-007

It will be nice to not have to guess at my actual PH from now on.

We will see how well it works.

For $185 I figured I couldnt lose. A used Hanna 99163 is running $275 on ebay, with out knowing how it has been maintained.

I paid $300 for my #22 Big Bite LEM grinder new, so $185 for the PH meter seemed reasonable. No one said this was an inexpensive hobby...!

My chorizo disaster cost me probably $100 in all, so $185 seems like cheap insurance when it comes to PH.