Smoker Questions

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Mar 06, 2016 09:49

How are these Bradley smokers? How easy are they to moved around once assembled?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Mar 06, 2016 15:14

Sounds like you got the bug Lou!

The small smokers like the Bradley are portable and easily moved around. The Bradley also has a smoke generator but the wafers are pricey.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Mar 06, 2016 15:55

LOUSANTELLO wrote:How are these Bradley smokers? How easy are they to moved around once assembled?
I have the original 4 rack Bradley. Moving it around is easy especially mine now that it sits on a caster mounted table. Check out the Bradley forum as there are a number of mods that can be done to them. Eg, I am upgrading the original 500 watt element to 750 watt to get a faster higher heat. The benefit of the Bradley is ease of use. While the pucks are pricey the advantage is that you can load the unit with the number of pucks needed to smoke for the time desired (3 per hour). The feed is automatic. When I had the masterbuilt propane I had to attend to it all the time. Not so the Bradley. Finally, when I do cold smoke my bacon over 3 shifts of 6 hours each, I don't use the pucks. I use the a-maze-n smoke generator.
Phil
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 06, 2016 18:54

Nice job on the smokies
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Mar 07, 2016 14:52

redzed wrote:I also used to smoke with a Bradley but had problems with getting the temp up in it especially when it was loaded. And like most home smokers you have to move the sausages around while smoking as the heat is not distributed evenly.
Idon't disagree with Chris which explains the mod to 750Watt heater. I consider the Bradley to be in the low to middle range of smokers for the hobbyist with its primary beneif to me being less time attending to it during the process. I'm not aware of any vertical smoker that has even heat distribution without some help. Bradley's newest smoker now has two temperature probes to manage this issue. Just say'n
Phil
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 07, 2016 17:10

Unfortunately Phil the separate temp probes only monitor the temp at different levels.....
But its Bluetooth so you can control it from your phone :sad:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Mar 07, 2016 20:11

As you know Bob, most folks smoking only use one internal temperature probe, even on the 6 rack model, and there are many discussions as to where to locate it. In the new unit, which is a ten rack, it obviously became necessary to use the 2 probes to better allow the operator to control the uneven heat distribution. I chose not to mention the bluetooth feature because it wasn't relative to the point of the discussion
signing off
Phil
Phil
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Mar 08, 2016 03:03

I stopped by a Cabela's yesterday and based on the "set it and forget it", I thought I was impressed with the Bradley digital. I walked out empty handed debating how much I would use it. For slow roasted prok butts and ribs, I already own a primo grill which is amazing. Based on cold smoking and ultra low heat smoking, now I ask which is the preferred smoker? I would love your opinions. Thanks.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » Tue Mar 08, 2016 20:46

I use the 6-rack digital and really like it for ease. I put mine on a utility cart from harbor freight and keep in the garage and roll out when I'm ready to smoke. I'm sure there are better or more expensive ones out there. I just like not having to mess with sawdust, soaking, and babying the smoker. Set it and forget it.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 09, 2016 07:56

LOUSANTELLO wrote:I stopped by a Cabela's yesterday and based on the "set it and forget it", I thought I was impressed with the Bradley digital. I walked out empty handed debating how much I would use it. For slow roasted prok butts and ribs, I already own a primo grill which is amazing. Based on cold smoking and ultra low heat smoking, now I ask which is the preferred smoker? I would love your opinions. Thanks.
I guess it all depends how we define "cold" smoke. I consider cold smoking to be at a temp. under 22C(71F). And I have problems cold smoking during the summer months. I get good results with my Bradley, but with the cold smoke attachment and using the Amazen pellet tray, where I get around 10 hours of smoke. I also use my Cabella's Pro100 with the Smokai generator when ambient temp is 10C (50F) or less. When I first got my Bradley I tried cold smoking with it using the pucks but the temp kept spiking to 38c(100F) or higher.

So to answer your question Lou, you will get the best cold smoking results when the ambient temp is cool and the source of the smoke is outside of the smoke house.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Mar 09, 2016 14:48

Redzed, Bradley makes a cold smoke attachment. I assume the attachment was made to eliminate temperature increase into the actual oven. Were you using the cold smoke attachment? I know nothing about this cold smoke or 170 degree smoking procedures, but I would hate to buy something for 600-700.00 all to find out I should have spent more and got something better, which is the reason I am asking which smoker is the "BOMB" for these purposes. For anything from 220 degrees and up, I am already using a primo grill which is incredible, but that is more for a different purpose and smoke is not an outboard indirect. It's a real nice BBQ as far as I'm concerned.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Mar 09, 2016 16:28

LOUSANTELLO wrote:Redzed, Bradley makes a cold smoke attachment. I assume the attachment was made to eliminate temperature increase into the actual oven.
If you are handy, it is very easy to make your own cold smoke attachment for the Bradley - go to youtube if interested.
Phil
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 09, 2016 17:21

Handy is not exactly my middle name. :lol: I like to buy plug and play stuff and the Bradley attachment works well in that respect. I also bought the Smokai Venturi style smoke generator for my Pro100, paid a small fortune for what is essentially a stainless steel tube with a pipe inserted into it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bradley-BCOLD-Smo ... B001Q3LO1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzP76bNxt4o
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Mar 09, 2016 17:40

Lou , probably the nicest smoker with the widest temp range (65-250f) is the Pro 100 like Redzed has.
http://www.pro-smoker.com/pk-100ss/
Its not light weight and needs to be wheeled around.
Cabela's also sells it.

You will still need an (exterior) smoke generator to cold smoke at low temps