Possibly, the perfect vacuum sealer for us regular folk.

porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Possibly, the perfect vacuum sealer for us regular folk.

Post by porterdriver » Wed Aug 17, 2011 21:27

My old FoodSaver finally passed away. So I started the search for the perfect sealer. I was intrigued by the chamber models (until I saw the price, size, and weight). If I bought one of those bad boys, it'd better come with its own deli. I piddled around looking at different brands and models but not finding the "one". Either they were commercial units with a price up in the four digit range or they were the little old FoodSaver type that I had had for years. I couldn't believe in 15 years that I had the FoodSaver that no one had built a better mousetrap (so to speak).

Finally, I had got to the point that I was gonna quit looking and pull the trigger on the Weston PRO-2300. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but it looked like a good choice. I had looked at VacMaster before but all they had (that I saw at least) were the expensive chamber models. As I was about to buy the 2300, I noticed a model of VacMaster that I hadn't seen before. It was the ARY VacMaster Pro 112.

Lo and behold it was a home (kinda) sized chamber vacuum sealer. Granted it was $590 but the 2300 was around $450. Anyway I bought it and have been nothing but happy. This thing is a hawse, it just works and works.

One of the great features of this is that it uses the commercial bags, not the expensive textured bags that the old FoodSaver I know that I must have paid for that FoodSaver 20x over in the cost of bags over the years. Bought a box of 8X12 bags for $0.054 each and 12X14 bags for $0.129 each.

Anyway, wanted to share this with the groupImage
porterdriver
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Wed Aug 17, 2011 21:49

Finally figured out how to include images. Here's one of the unit.

Image[/img]
porterdriver
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 22:38

Porterdriver
Nice looking unit. I agree on the bag cost! I still have a foodsavor but when mine craps out I will definitely look into this type of sealer. Did you order the VacMaster Pro 112 on line or local purchase?
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Wed Aug 17, 2011 23:46

uwanna,

I would certainly have a "look" at this model when you are in the market.

This thing is built like a brick ****house. Not as noisy as I thought that it might be either.

Found it cheapest online from a company called ElectronicsShowplace.com. Quite a few places carry it (Amazon and the like) but it was cheapest (with shipping) here.
porterdriver
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Aug 18, 2011 00:25

Can you give a quick explanation of how this unit works? Does this just "seal"? One thing I don't like about my vacuum sealer (Black & Decker - 10 yrs old and uses the same expensive bags) is the vacuum. I want to seal a marinated meat but it sucks the marinade out before sealing. Does this more commercial unit not create that vacuum?

Dave
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 00:46

Porterdriver

I will give it a look, who knows I might not wait for mine to crap out or I'll give to my wife for christmas :mrgreen: ..... hold on I think she gave it to me for christmas :shock: what the heck, her b-day :lol:
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Thu Aug 18, 2011 02:00

Dave,

The quick difference is this. With the unit that you have, you put the food in the bag and place the open end of the bag into a suction chamber and it pulls the air out of the bag. Problem is that ANY moisture, like marinades, start getting pulled out as soon as you create even the mildest vacuum.

In this 'chamber' model, you put the food into the open bag and then place the whole thing inside the vacuum chamber of the machine. The machine draws all (well not really but a lot more than a traditional home unit) of the air out of the chamber. Since there is no pressure differential between the inside of the bag and the outside, liquid does not migrate out. Then the sealing unit activates (it's inside the chamber as well) and seals the bag. The air is let back and the normal air pressure squishes the bag down with any liquid inside.

Works great. You can even vacuum pack soups or stews.
porterdriver
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Aug 18, 2011 02:34

That Vacuum Sealer is definitely a next purchase after my Food Saver goes to Vacuum machine heaven.
I like the operating principle of this unit.

When I looked on Amazon, in the one add it lists the weight as 50 lbs. Is that about right?
Ron
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Thu Aug 18, 2011 03:03

Bubba, That's the one. Told you it was stout.
porterdriver
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 16:32

Hi, here is a demo on the machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi5WMRM4aSQ :wink:
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Thu Aug 18, 2011 16:54

Maz,

Go Sharks! Good luck in this year's Curry Cup.
porterdriver
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Aug 18, 2011 17:20

In the demo he has a big roast or butt sitting on the counter but never puts it in the sealer. Can I fit a 7 lb whole chicken in this thing?

Dave
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Thu Aug 18, 2011 17:27

It appears that it would. Seems like a 'regular' pork butt or a roast would fit as well. Honest answer is go to market, measure said fowl and then compare to the spec sheet.
porterdriver
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 18, 2011 18:26

Remember that poultry has a big hole in the middle. If you split them down the back and remove the ribs and lay them flat they are much more compact. When they thaw out you can fold them back into the shape of a bird and sew them up.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Aug 18, 2011 18:52

ssorllih wrote:Remember that poultry has a big hole in the middle. If you split them down the back and remove the ribs and lay them flat they are much more compact. When they thaw out you can fold them back into the shape of a bird and sew them up.
Not sure if you spent much time slaughtering and breaking down chickens Ross, but that is the LAST thing I want to think about after plucking and butchering 25 birds. I'll usually leave 5 whole and it's a treat to just slip em in the bag and seal. :grin: