Umai salt/cure blend: Are we that stupid?

redzed

Umai salt/cure blend: Are we that stupid?

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 16, 2016 00:09

Umai announced that it now sells a pre-mixed blend of kosher salt and Cure #2, in packets to be added to a 5lb batch of meat mince. The proportions are 3% salt and .25% Cure #2. The price per packet is $6 ($7.8o CDN). http://shop.umaidry.com/collections/sal ... e-2-packet

I buy cure #2 for $5.95 (CDN) for a 1lb(454g) package. I buy Italian sea salt for 99¢ for 1 kg. To make 5lbs of salami using the same proportions, costs me 6.8¢ for the salt and 7.4¢ for Cure #2. Grand total: 14.2¢ Canadian cents or 11¢ American pennies.

Are there really people out there that stupid that they will pay Umai $6 for 68g of salt and 5.67g of Cure #2?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Apr 16, 2016 01:16

:lol: You should check there price of dextrose ($1.00 per teaspoon) or cure #2which is about the same. Probably use the same markup as the bags. :shock:
for the price of 3 (4 teaspoon pacs ) of dextrose you can get a 5 lb tub from TSM
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Apr 16, 2016 15:18

Yep. I'm kind of done with them. Before I found this forum, I wanted to make soppressata. I called them and they told me to go online and follow the video for all the instructions. The video had a recipe and the dosages were so far different than their own documentation that came with their own cure and dextrose packages. They also cater to alot of people that doesn't have a gram scale, which is the reason they are probably premixing the cure and salt. You really cant weigh cure using pounds and ounces, which is probably the other reason some of their recipes are teaspoons. I do use their bags for dry aged whole loins for rib eyes and strips, but I dont anticipate using Umai for salumi now that I have a chamber.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 16, 2016 18:28

Its one thing to make a profit its another to gouge. We have an old saying here, "pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered". Guess we'll have to see how this turns out for them but it doesn't sound like think much of their customers.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Apr 17, 2016 02:38

It's a different clientele. I was dry aging much before curing. I was and still am using their bags for that. There are alot of people whohave no clue about chambers, just like me 4 months ago. If it wasn't for them recommending Marianski's book, I would've never found this forum. In fact, my first batch of salami was using Umai and their cure and dextrose.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sun Apr 17, 2016 04:56

Kind of the same thing as Yeti koozies...if someone wants to pay $30 for a metal koozie to keep a beer cold, I think that's ridiculous. A $1 koozie does the same thing. Plus my beer never lasts long enough to get warm anyway! ;-) Plenty of gullible folks out there..apparently enough to make a very good living off of!
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Apr 17, 2016 15:25

No surprise here :evil:
Phil