Coppa de la Vera

BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 08:37

harleykids wrote:Man, that's cold! That's around 39 deg F !
No wonder WL goes slowly! I would think at that temp they would last forever!
And develop taste very nicely,
Ever so nicely :)
Do you get mold at that temp?
Yes they acquire mould all of which is natural and of most colours which are left for the duration as mould is part of the flavour profile

I would post pictures but my laptop which has them on is down at the present but hopefully I will have that rectified soon
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Apr 28, 2016 14:44

Definitely post some pics when you get some time!
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri May 06, 2016 02:38

Has anybody ever gotten some green between the meat and casings? It's powdery and not fuzzy. Scraped right off. Other than that, they taste wonderful Image
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Fri May 06, 2016 04:09

I have never had any mold between my casing and my muscle, but I think some would be normal in many situations. Your pics look fine to me, and it looks great! Eat away I say! Wipe off and move on!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri May 06, 2016 16:41

Did the meat shrink inside the casing or did the casing adhere to the meat? Was it mold or possibly herbs/spices?
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri May 06, 2016 19:16

Definitely not herbs. The casing had a huge rib in it. Looked like a vein. I am assuming the meat shrunk and the casing didn't down that area. I sliced the one area out and scraped the other small areas. It was probably "void areas"..Could the wine have anything to do with it? I saturated in wine then rubbed calabrian sweet pepper. That's it. Still didn't look anywhere near blue cheese. :razz:
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Fri May 06, 2016 19:17

The majority of the meat did adhere to the casing.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 07, 2016 14:53

I have had that that occasionally. Usually when then there is a bit of of a void or space between the meat and casing. Nothing to worry about, just do a bit of surgery and trim it out.
Last edited by redzed on Sun May 15, 2016 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun May 15, 2016 03:56

When I received the bungs, there was a layer of whatever tissues on the inside of the casing attached to the side wall. Hard to explain, but I am positive you guys know what I'm talking about. I was afraid to scrape it off because I thought I was going to tear a hole in the casing. I think that was the culprit. I just made 2 more and that damn white stuff was still there on the inside. This time I got smart and turned the casing inside out. Is that the trick or how do you normally remove it?
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu May 26, 2016 15:00

I have been following your posts on making coppa and bresaola. I have decided to follow Marianski's rescipes with Jason's suggestion of using Pimeton del lera 20/80 as the pepper. Any other sugestions?

I have built a curing chamber (refrigerator) with tempature control.12 volt computer fan with voltage control for air speed and a ultrasonic humidifier controlled by a green air controller. air enters bottom wiring port that also has a filter.

John
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu May 26, 2016 16:52

Hi John. I would like to suggest that you prepare the coppa and breasola using the equalization cure method. This method has now become the standard among hobbyists and small commercial producers of salumi. You can read a bit more about it here: http://curedmeats.blogspot.ca/2013/02/e ... -cure.html

The amount of salt in Stan's coppa recipe is rather high and will more than likely result in an overly salty product. And while the amount of cure #2 is within legal limits, .6% is not necessary. A simple and effective formulation is to use 25g/kg salt and 2.5g/kg Cure #2. You can then use any other spices that you like. Cure in fridge for at least 2 weeks but you can leave it in there for 4 weeks without compromising the salt taste.
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Sat May 28, 2016 14:59

Thank you for the link. It will be interesting to see how the flavors turn out . I have been trying to reduce the salt levels in some of my sausages. I also have just recieved a Milwaukee PH meter . Is there a target PH at the finish. I will be looking for a 35-40% weight loss. Guess it's to late to reduce the salt cure mix now since I have rubbed an split the mix.

never to late to learn

John
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat May 28, 2016 15:23

John-
You are looking for a target Ph on sausages or whole muscles?

For sausage you want to ferment to a Ph of 5.3 or below, the Ph will then rise slowly throughout the drying process, there really is no end ph goal.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat May 28, 2016 15:26

I have never used the PH meter for coppa or whole muscles. Am I supposed to? I pulled the coppa at 42% last time. I am taking them much higher next time,,,,more closer to 45-50%. For the salumi, I closely monitor the PH for 5.0 fermentaion then transfer to chamber. You should hopefully have goten the calibration liquids to calibrate the meter. Also check the PH right after the grind before fermentation.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun May 29, 2016 01:30

If you have a pH meter and an inquiring mind, it is is a good idea to test the ph of the meat when making whole muscle cuts. Measuring the starting pH is one method in determining the quality of the meat. The pork should measure 5.7-5.8. And if it is higher than 6, or lower than 5.6, the flavour, texture and it's ability to release water may make a discernible difference in the net product. But since we don't normally (some large producers do) ferment whole muscle meats, knowing the pH at the start or end is usually of periphoral importance.