Tom Thumb

redzed

Tom Thumb

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 13, 2016 14:50

I'm posting a message from our member nuynai

Hi Red. I'm trying to load a message to the site but am having problems accepting it. I'll write the message and maybe you could figure it out and post it. Thanks.

Last week and this week a program on PBS called "A Chef's Life" featured a dry cured ground mixture of pork stuffed in a hog appendix called Tom Thumb. It seems like a local item to North Carolina. Was just wondering if any of you good ole boys heard of it or make it. If you Google Tom Thumb, the show is there, along with a recipe.

Nuynai
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Aug 13, 2016 15:34

Its more commonly known as a Dan Doodle. I think I posted something about them a while back but I can't find the thread so maybe I didn't.

Its a sagey sausage, semi-fermented before cooking and is a modification of haggis which is reasonable being a lot of Scots settled in the Carolina mountains. Whiskey and haggis are but a few things we brought to the area but sage was more readily available so they improvised and used more sage in their out of necessity.

Here is a link with a recipe if you are interested.

https://ourdailybrine.com/tom-thumb-sausage/
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Aug 13, 2016 15:48

From the show, I got the impression it had foul odor once done. Also, they seemed to cook vegetables in it for flavor.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Aug 13, 2016 15:58

I think one could say beef bung has a foul odor too but its never bothered me. May have more to do with the cleaning.

Here is a link which is a twist of the Dan Doodle and Haggis. It shows how I clean casings and how a you'd use a Dan Doodle in cooking. The broth is wonderful and the whole dish is beyond delicious but some will not eat it because their minds can't get past a few things.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ght=haggis
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Aug 13, 2016 19:04

Thanks, BB. Being from Polish descent, I'll be happy to try things like that and raised by depression era parents, like my Father said, "You'll be surprised what you'll eat when you're hungry enough". Thanks.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Aug 13, 2016 19:53

I was raised the same but this is good enough that you don't have to be hungry to eat it. Some people, like my wife, have a hard time with some foods because she can't get her head past the thought. For instance, we raise cattle but I cooked some beaver and lied to her and told her it was meat from this years calf. She said it was the best, most tender beef she'd ever eaten. After she had two helpings I fessed up and no more would she eat. I really don't get it. To me, if its good its good and I think you will find the broth these type dishes create warrants canning them because they are indescribably good.
charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by charcoal junkie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 18:26

Here is what i think u are looking for.
https://ourdailybrine.com/tom-thumb-sausage/
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 01, 2017 08:38

Thanks cj, that was an interesting read about an interesting sausage. Image
charcoal junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by charcoal junkie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 16:03

redzed wrote:Thanks cj, that was an interesting read about an interesting sausage. [url=http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/thank ... oticon.gif]Image[/URL]
You are welcome. He has some very interesting articles.