Hot Dogs!

redzed

Hot Dogs!

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 17:19

Once in a while something inside me starts calling out for a hot dog, composed of a fat tasty wiener, heated gently on a grill and then stuffed into a fresh bun and then dressed properly for the occasion. I had a bag of Class III (fatty with some connective tissue) pork trimmings in the freezer, and haven't used my Chinese bowl cutter for a while, so I decided to make some American style wieners. These of course differ from their European cousins in that they contain more spices and ingredients. And I even used some skim milk powder, something I don't add very often. Only made 3.5kg, but almost a whole days work. I also added a small amount of beef, semi froze everything, ground twice through the 3mm plate, and emulsified by adding 20% ice water. The emulsification went well with the temp of the ground meat starting at -2C and not ging over 7C when finished. Then smoked for 2 hrs at 65C and poached for 15 minutes.. Wieners turned out excellent and taste good even when they are cold. The worst part was the clean up and washing all the containers, equipment, sink and mopping the floor! Working with emulsified meat is messy and labour intensive.

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Aug 14, 2016 20:20

Those look totally tasty Redzed!

And I understand the amount of cleanup you had to go through. of all the sausages I have tried, Hot Dogs / Wieners / Franks are a lot of work. Once I used a food processor because I don't have a bowl cutter. It was very labor intensive!
Ron
Rich
User
User

Post by Rich » Mon Aug 15, 2016 06:55

Those look really good, and, the cold, frosty, beverage in the background looks like a perfect match ! Redzed, what defines emulsified meat ? see the term but don't quite understand it...

Cheers,

Rich
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Aug 15, 2016 14:26

Yea I get that urge for a Hot Dog a few times a year. Those look plump, what dia casing did you use? Much better with beer that that grape juice! :mrgreen:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 16, 2016 04:34

Thanks for the complements guys! I am very pleased with how these wieners turned out. :lol:
Rich wrote: Redzed, what defines emulsified meat ? see the term but don't quite understand it...
Emulsification is the perfect union meat, fat and water to produce a light and juicy sausage such as a frankfurter, weisswurst , serdelki or mortadella. There is an excellent intro to emulsified sausages by Stan Marianski here: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... ed-sausage
Bob K wrote:Those look plump, what dia casing did you use? Much better with beer that that grape juice!
I was concerned about making withered wrinkly wieners and was very care about the heat and time in the smoker. Poaching temp was also important. There are small air bubbles in the wieners but it's almost impossible to produce an air free product without the use of a vacuum stuffer. I used 32mm hog casings which allows you to taste the sausage inside the bun. The hog casings also give you that snap when you bite into them. Hog casings are tougher and that is why traditionally sheep casings are used. Supermarket wieners are made in cellulose casings which are removed before cooking and eating.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 19:46

Could you post a pic of your Chinese bowl cutter? I have a very old Hobart buffalo chopper. It does the trick but gosh a fair bit of work to clean up!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Aug 21, 2016 20:25

Bowl cutter string with pics of Redzeds Chopper

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7591
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 00:30

Thanks Bob, just figuring out how to use the search!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 23, 2016 16:30

As far as my Chinese bowl cutter, it's a heavy monster, looks good, but is under powered. It states that it has a 5l capacity, but there is no way I could process 5l at a time. This batch of wieners I made was around 7-8lbs and I emulsified it in three parts. I really could not recommend others buying it. Looks like your old Hobart does a pretty good job and if you are looking to replace it, try to find another newer good used Hobart or Scharfen chopper.

More pics of my cutter are here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... weisswurst
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 14:21

Fall is coming so I'm using up the last of my moose and deer trim, getting for fresh new kills. I have hot dogs on the "to make" list, along with several others. I use a wiberg spice mix, plus salt and cure.I'll post some pics when I get my buffalo chopper out in the next few weeks. Landjaeger for upcoming sheep hunts, garlic sausage, pepperoni, and Jalapeno cheese smokies are also on the "to make" list. Might do some Lyoner while the cutter is dirty too.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 27, 2016 16:35

fatboyz wrote:Fall is coming so I'm using up the last of my moose and deer trim, getting for fresh new kills. I have hot dogs on the "to make" list, along with several others. I use a wiberg spice mix, plus salt and cure.I'll post some pics when I get my buffalo chopper out in the next few weeks. Landjaeger for upcoming sheep hunts, garlic sausage, pepperoni, and Jalapeno cheese smokies are also on the "to make" list. Might do some Lyoner while the cutter is dirty too.
Excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and recipes! Do you use other Wiberg spices? They have an outlet in Vancouver and I know some of the smaller producers around here use their products. I've been meaning to check it out the next time I'm on the mainland. They also have starter culture available and bring in a mould starter a couple of times a year.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 17:16

Halfords in Edmonton carries Wiberg from the Vancouver outlet. I really like there product. I use hotdog, Munich Wiesswurst, Bologna, and Lyoner. I also use their cutter phosphate and GDL. I'm heading to Edmonton today to go To Halfords and get some Vacuum bags, starter cultures and some beef middles.
Don
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 20:24

redzed, Hi Redzed, are you willing to share the recipie for the dogs? They look quite tasty. I've been doing nothing but cold and hot smoking polish, pepperoni, italian, jalapeno and cheese, breakfast ..... and want to get into making something like this.
Thx in advance,
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 01, 2017 16:39

Hello jjnurk and a big welcome to the forum! Great to see another member from Regina! Yorkton is my home town and Regina was home to me for many many years.

I'll dig up my notes on those hot dogs and post the recipe in the next day or two. Tied up with with grape crushing now.

GO RIDERS! :grin:
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Wed Nov 01, 2017 17:27

Those dogs look fantastic Chris! I love hog cased sausages, they have the perfect snap!