loose casings

Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

loose casings

Post by Gray Goat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 00:27

I just made a batch of cheddar/jalapeno summer sausage and I am having a problem with the casings being loose. I used 2 1/2" pre pricked fibrous casings and smoked the sausage to an I.T. of 130 and then finished in a water poach to a finish I.T of 152. I watched temps closely both in the smoker and poacher so I don't think fatting out is the problem. Any help is appreciated
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 22, 2016 07:48

There are now so many different casings for different applications, so the first thing I would do is determine whether the casings you used were meant to be poached. It is also important to soak the casings for the prescribed time, and I know that some need only 8-10 minutes and others 30 minutes. Over soaking will also cause separation, as will under stuffing and over heating. Those are the reasons that first come to mind. Perhaps someone else can offer additional possible causes.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19

Not having ever used pre pricked casings but IMHO, any time there's a hole in the casing, it would allow the introduction of liquid/ water from the poaching process. I'm sure others are much more knowledgeable on this topic but just my thoughts.
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 17:00

I did notice that with these casings being "pre pricked", there were many more holes than if I was to do it by hand. I think I will try a batch with the standard fibrous casings and compare.

Thanks for the replies !