Need help on choosing a smoker pipe to for smoke house

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Need help on choosing a smoker pipe to for smoke house

Post by king kabanos » Thu Apr 06, 2017 23:09

Hi everyone I am stuck in a little pickle here with a pipe for my smoker . I bought a double wall galvanized 6 inch in diameter pipe from Home Depot for my smoker and it's been working fine for a year but now when I through a log in there and there is a lot flames and heat I smell this burning smell and black smoke and my pipe is melting so that's not good at all and needs to be changed out. So should I use black stove pipe that is used for wood burning stoves it's still galvanized pipe though or should I use a steel pipe
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Apr 06, 2017 23:34

What kind of smoker are you using?

On most of the BBQ smoker builds I've made I use six inch steel pipe. I've found the pipe they use for tubed money transfers at the bank works well - especially since I got several lengths of it from a builder for free.

Could give a better answer if I saw a picture of your smoker. Lots of different types.
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Fri Apr 07, 2017 00:33

Hey butter bean I had some pictures of my smoker on here a long time ago. Went to the post but I think they got deleted. It's just like atc nick smoke house . The post cedar smoker by atc nick user. Should I use that pipe that he uses in his post which is a black stove pipe for wood stoves. Or there is a place couple miles from me where you can buy thick steel pipe
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Fri Apr 07, 2017 00:35

This is the smoker that looks like mine pretty much same concept. Here is the link

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 07, 2017 01:13

Thanks, the pictures are helpful. Personally I think you are just going to keep having trouble with that because the stove pipe pictured is really thin walled metal and with the heat and rust it will be rotten in no time. I think you would be better off finding some terracotta square pipe, brick or find some heavy square tubing at a junkyard. I was going to use terracotta myself but I stumbled on a length of 6" square 3/8" metal tubing in a junk pile and fashioned this into a smoke intake. The problem with the thin walled stuff is it will just rust out so fast. The thick walled stuff will rust but its so thick it will take forever before you have a problem. Also, its thickness is such that it will sap any heat out of the smoke before it reaches the smoke room which I think makes it better than terracotta.

Hope this helps.

Image[/img]
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 07, 2017 01:16

Here is the terracotta pipe. I've used this on some other builds. Some of them even come with flanges where all you do is connect them via the flange and a little concrete. These will last forever.

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Fri Apr 07, 2017 01:47

There is some thick steel pipe at this steel pipe store I will try and post a picture.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 07, 2017 02:15

I think you'll be better off using something like that. Here, the chimney pipe is really just tin and is not meant to get wet and with the moisture and the oxidation that comes with burning wood they will rot in no time. If you have a scrap yard around you can pick up metal tubing for next to nothing if the metal place is wanting a lot for it. Also, if you talk to someone at a scrap yard and tell them what you are looking for and you sortof reward them in some way they will usually call you when the see what you need and set it aside for you. I think scrap steel like this is selling for $0.03/lb so having a guy on the inside could be a win/win deal for the both of you.
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Fri Apr 07, 2017 02:19

how about this steel pipe? dont know what kind of steel its is though

What do you think?

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a7da ... /ry%3D400/
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 07, 2017 16:18

That's good pipe there. I use it for exhaust vents on reverse flow wood smokers I build. Never had any rust through - yet. Far better than that chimney pipe tin. You can also paint the outside with that high temp black paint. You might see a little rust form near the fire box but painting it should add some protection from further out from the fire box where you might have ground contact. You could even box it in and pour concrete around it and it'd be there forever but that might be a little overkill but if you mix some stucco mortar to finish it might look rather sexy too. lol I think you'll also be amazed at how quickly thicker metal will sap the heat out of your smoke which is a good thing I think.