What type of Paprika for Peperoni

bcuda
Beginner
Beginner

What type of Paprika for Peperoni

Post by bcuda » Tue Jun 20, 2017 01:45

I have seen Hungarian paprika listed as sweet and hot , what kind of paprika do I need to use in peperoni ?
Thank you !
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:29

I use the plain as the hotness of the hot paprika varies. Most hot paprika is a mix of paprika + cayenne.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 15:05

Start with 3g/kg sweet, then add 2g/kg hot, see how you like it and adjust the next batch according to your preference. As Bob pointed out cayenne is usually used in American style pepperoni to give it a bit of heat. As to the heat in Hungarian paprika it really varies. The Szeged brand that I have been buying locally, turned out to be a pussycat compared to a bag of hot paprika I bought in Budapest last year. Had to drink a lot of wine with the first goulash we made with it. :lol:
bcuda
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bcuda » Tue Jun 20, 2017 22:17

Thank you that helps out.
Bumper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Bumper » Tue Jun 20, 2017 22:35

I would make a bowl of pasta and stir a couple of grams through with any paprika labelled hot. Pasta is cheap and you can get a sense of how much heat is in a chilli easily this way.

I grew leutschauer paprika last season and recently used it in a batch of bbq sauce I was making for my wife. It had enough kick in 1/4 of a cup to give some chilli heat to 3L of sauce.

http://www.rareseeds.com/leutschauer-paprika-pepper/

Which is fine for me, but not my wife. Oh well, I have 14 bottles of delicious spicy bbq sauce, what's a guy to do? :roll: He makes another batch paprika free.. :wink:
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Fri Jun 23, 2017 17:00

redzed wrote:Start with 3g/kg sweet, then add 2g/kg hot, see how you like it and adjust the next batch according to your preference. As Bob pointed out cayenne is usually used in American style pepperoni to give it a bit of heat. As to the heat in Hungarian paprika it really varies. The Szeged brand that I have been buying locally, turned out to be a pussycat compared to a bag of hot paprika I bought in Budapest last year. Had to drink a lot of wine with the first goulash we made with it. :lol:
Good excuse anyway!!!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:05

:grin: Than you for understanding! Image