Mushroom sausage for the grill

redzed

Mushroom sausage for the grill

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 18:17

Sausage with Mushrooms

This turned out to be an excellent grilling sausage, juicy and full of flavours. Recipe from a book prepared by two top French chefs, Jean-Claude Frentz and Michel Poulain, Charcuterie Specialties, 1995. Sausage is semi prepped by poaching so you can freeze it and have it available for a quick meal after finishing on the grill or frying pan. The recipe calls for only plain button mushrooms, but I used some of last season's frozen chanterelles and added a bit of dry mushroom powder, made from chanterelles and admirable boletus.

Meats
Pork from butt and picnic, 800g Class I, 1700g Class II, 200g back fat

Ingredients for 1kg of Meat
Mushrooms, 250g (I used 200g of frozen dry sauteed mushrooms and 8g/kg mushroom powder)
Salt, 15g
Cure #1, 1g
White pepper 3g
Nutmeg, 0.5g
Parsley, 10g
Juice of 1/2 lemon
30g unsalted butter
100ml water

Preparation
1.Slice mushrooms to 8mm pieces. Saute in the butter, water and lemon juice for 8 minutes. Cool in the cooking liquid and refrigerate.
2. Blanch parsley in boiling water for a few seconds. Refresh with cold water, drain, chop and refrigerate.
3. Trim the meats well and cut the lean into large cubes and the fat into smaller ones. Add the salt and spices to the cubed meat and place into freezer for one hour.
4. Grind the lean meat through the 8mm plate and the fatty meat and back fat through the 6mm.
5. Combine the ground meat with the mushroom and parsley and mix until sticky.
6. Stuff into hog casings.
8. Poach for 10 minutes in 80C. water.
9. Finish on the grill or frying pan.
10. Freeze sausage that will not be consumed within 24 hours.

Bon appétit!

Last edited by redzed on Sun Aug 13, 2017 19:07, edited 2 times in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Aug 13, 2017 18:32

Looks great, interesting ingredients.! Why are you using cure#2?
Looks like you have a hank of "hairy" casings, I've have had them cause tangles.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 19:05

Bob K wrote:Looks great, interesting ingredients.! Why are you using cure#2?
Looks like you have a hank of "hairy" casings, I've have had them cause tangles.
Woops! It's cure one. Thanks, edited the recipe. Original recipe asks for 8g salt and 8g Eurpean curing salt, so my 15g salt and 1g #1 is the exact equivalent.

Yes that batch of casings was extra hairy and did tend to tangle around the casing when flushing. I used the last of the hank on this batch. Ordered a hank of 35-38 (red ring) casings last week an d was shocked how much casings have gone up from Canadian suppliers.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Mon Aug 14, 2017 00:07

Those look great Chris! Must be mushrooms on the mind...I just did a black truffle sea salt coppa 2 days ago!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 14, 2017 16:04

I still have a stash of frozen chanterelles in my freezer from last season, so I'm looking for creative ways to use them up. Can't afford to eat steak every day. :lol:
DarkJaff

Question about cure #1

Post by DarkJaff » Fri Aug 10, 2018 15:28

Hi,

Is there any particular reason why you included the prague powder #1 in the recipe beside the color it will give? Because I usually only put it in if I need to smoke my sausage and in this case I will not.

Thanks in advance for the answer!
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46

Looks great. As long as there was a discussion about hanks of casings, I normally pull mine out of the bag and rinse in cold water, but I`ve always had problems with them knotting which creates a huge aggravation. What am I doing wrong?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:54

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Aug 12, 2018 13:07

I`m still missing something. Do you grab the ring and make sure they are straight before placing in water? I usually grab the hank and submerge under water and scruff them around to rinse. When I`m ready to use them, I grab the ring and unknot the casing on the ring and leave all the ends on laying over the outside of the bowl and then grab one casing at a time. If the casing is fairly long, they will still knot and I have to cut it loose. Every time this happens, I always say to myself " there`s no way these guys are doing it this way"
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Aug 17, 2018 19:44

I just toss the whole hank in the water and leave it till it becomes white and pliable then grab the plastic ring organizer and pull on casing off this leaving everything submerged and just gently pull on it. As long as you are not rough with it the slipperiness of the casing will allow it to pull right out. If it does bind just reach in the water and massage the binding area and it should pull right out.

When finished I just put the hank into a colander and cover with salt and let it drain. I prefer to use swimming pool salt for this because its cheap and its more like rock salt and allows the water to be drawn away more efficiently than other salts like canning or kosher.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Aug 18, 2018 15:35

Thanks for sharing that recipe. Looks terrific. I'll have to give this a try. Love mushrooms.