Flavor / Spice Development

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Flavor / Spice Development

Post by STICKSTRING » Mon Jan 29, 2018 20:34

Recently cut into a dry sausage I have hanging a little pre-maturely, but wanted to try. . Still soft, it`s at just over 3 weeks 4 days in to the drying. We make same exact recipe with less salt and cure #1 we use as a "boiling sausage". It`s a tried and true recipe we have made for many years. I`ve never tried it this early in the drying, but was is normally a strong flavored dry sausage (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc), to my surprise was almost flavorless. I could taste the mold, and I could taste a hint of the ammonia smell that has just ended after 2 weeks. But could not taste a single spice. Very strange. Although like I said, I`ve never tasted this early in the drying process. They are in 42mm casings so should only need another 2 weeks before dry.

Has anybody noticed a lack of flavor during early stages? The spice ratio is correct, so I`m not worried about that.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jan 29, 2018 22:22

While I have never tried one after only 3 weeks, after 6 weeks when they were still a bit soft the flavor was fine. Maybe the ammonia odor/taste just overpowered the taste for now.
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Mon Jan 29, 2018 22:39

Thanks bob, they are actually quite dry by the 3-4 week mark, but I prefer them pretty hard, so keep them in for an additional few weeks. I usually let them fly until week 6 ish with no past issues. Suprised by the flavor at 3-4 weeks!