Halibut

redzed

Halibut

Post by redzed » Wed Jun 20, 2018 18:24

Spent a few days fishing on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Weather not that great, rain and high swells, and only managed to hook three Chinooks, nothing for size. On our last day we managed to pull in a couple of halibut. One we could not keep because it was too big, over 115cm and this keeper, 113cm weighing 40 lbs.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Wed Jun 20, 2018 18:41

Wow! Just plain WOW! Great catch.
G pop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by G pop » Wed Jun 20, 2018 19:45

That's just what I said WOW !!!!!! What a catch But why did you have to throw the other
one back ?

Paul
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Jun 20, 2018 20:55

Wow again! I bet those things can fight.
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:50

Very Nice Chris!
I'm tentatively booked in for sturgeon and salmon fishing in Oct your neck of the woods, so hopefully 'll have something to show as well.
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 21, 2018 18:42

jcflorida wrote:Wow! Just plain WOW! Great catch.
Thank you! :grin:
G pop wrote:That's just what I said WOW !!!!!! What a catch But why did you have to throw the other one back ?
The other one was approx. 142cm long (weighing approx. 65lbs). The current size limit in the area where we were fishing is 115cm. Last year it was 135. That is really too bad because the commercial fishermen can keep the big ones, and 150 pounders are not uncommon.
Butterbean wrote:Wow again! I bet those things can fight.
They are not exactly fighters, but offer a degree of resistance. Both were caught on the bottom, in a depth of 175ft, so pulling one up, especially in choppy water is a good workout. It's like pulling up a sheet of plywood! I let my brother in law bring in both. He's younger and stronger and it was his first time fishing in Pacific waters.
jjnurk wrote:Very Nice Chris!
I'm tentatively booked in for sturgeon and salmon fishing in Oct your neck of the woods, so hopefully 'll have something to show as well.
Thanks Joe! Hopefully you can get one of those monsters in the Fraser river! The sturgeon there are huge? Where are you going for salmon? October is not the best time, except for Coho which are the last to enter the rivers to spawn.