Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
kjuncatman

Post by kjuncatman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 03:59

Hi all,
I didnt know this site had a forum. I have been looking at it for a while. My smoker is a wood smokehouse that looks like a small outhouse it has racks or sticks to put the meat on and a gas burner in the bottom. I put small chunks of wood in a pan on the burner and cover it with another pan thatsbigger to keep grease out. Cureing 7 turkeys to smoke this weekend for Thanksgiving. deer season starting and we make jerky and sausage.
keep up the good work
cure the meat? Is it sick?
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Nov 17, 2010 05:25

Chuckmaster,

That's a low blow. :cool:

Now tell us all about this obsession with Ducks. :razz:

Your school pal.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:51

Another member! Welcome to the board Ruralidle from Shropshire, UK.
Hey Shrop... you are member #49 and we're sure glad to see you.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:02

Hey Kjuncatman,
Seven turkeys? My goodness, is all that pecan perfumed poultry for your family? Don't feel badly about not knowing about the chat forum here. It took me a couple of months to spot it too. (Hyde Park)
Yesterday, I ran the 50 yard dash in a 49 yard gymnasium! :shock: I actually mistook my smoker for the outhouse too! :roll:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Thu Nov 18, 2010 17:27

Welcome Ruralidle

It is wonderful to have members of the UK forum join us in North America. I'm sure that your considerable expertise in making bacon and bread, will lend a great deal to this forum. :grin: :lol:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
kjuncatman

Post by kjuncatman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 02:51

Hi CW'
My father likes to give turkeys to some friends and some of mine love it too. Went to a steam tractor show labor day they were selling cured smoked turkey legs for $6.00. I walked over where they were cooking them and asked about them to see if I could pick up some tricks.
What a shocker they came precooked in a box and thier cool cooker was just heating them up. guess my birds should be worth at least 12 bucks cause they have 2 legs.
lots of work to do here 5 deer to make sausage and jerky out of.
Happy thanks Giving to all
cure the meat? Is it sick?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 05:21

Hey Kjun, have you priced jerky in the stores? It's now about the same price as gold. The government put new restrictions on its manufacture and some of the makers have gone out of business. All jerky must be cooked now before being dried. Wow, kind of nice to know how to make your own products eh? You ought to see what Steelchef makes. Everything you could possibly want to choke down! Davezak makes all his own stuff too, as well as many others on this site.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 06:48

Weeeeere Growing! Welcome to Recon of Pennsylvania and TexasBigRed in Houston. Glad to see you folks join us. Write in often and let us know how you`re doing and what you`re making. Lots of nice folks here to talk about our favorite subject!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Nov 26, 2010 13:19

Welcome to all the new folks! Love having new ideas and guys to learn from.

Dave Zac
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 08:09

There are two more new members joining us! Great to see you folks!
Welcome aboard...
odell from Indiana
The Butcher from Missouri
Tell us about yourselves guys. Are you beginners or old pros like that showoff DaveZac in New York! :lol: I'm so jealous of that guy, I could just spit! He is quickly approaching Ne Plus Ultra status in self-sufficiency! I wouldn`t be surprised if some day he didn`t invent his own drinking water! :roll:
Hey Missouri, are you really a butcher?
And odell... we have another member from Indiana. (INGrandad) Does that make him a fellow Indianianianian? :lol:

Here's a bit of western wisdom for any dudes out there: DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY THINGS AND DON'T PET THE SWEATY THINGS.

P.S. Does anybody know why service stations lock their restroom doors? Are they afraid someone will break IN and clean them? :shock:

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Dec 02, 2010 01:23

Chuckwagon wrote:Are you beginners or old pros like that showoff DaveZac in New York! :lol: I'm so jealous of that guy, I could just spit! He is quickly approaching Ne Plus Ultra status in self-sufficiency! I wouldn`t be surprised if some day he didn`t invent his own drinking water!
Image Image Image
Last edited by Dave Zac on Tue Aug 14, 2012 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher » Fri Dec 03, 2010 22:40

Chuckwagon wrote: Hey Missouri, are you really a butcher?
Hey Chuckwagon! Yes I am indeed a real-life butcher. :cool: I have been in and out of the custom slaughtering and butchering business for about 25 years. At my highest level of production I was running a small USDA (in NC) custom/wholesale/retail plant that killed 350 hd./week of hogs (mostly for BBQ, wholesale and retail customers). And as many as 50 hd./week of beef.

I am moving my current operation, farm and equipment to Mo. from Pa. I will be direct marketing my own pork, beef, poultry, and lamb (when available) as well as still offering custom slaughter for folks who have their own animals and veison customers.

I have been on WD's site for about two years. A customer loved my work but wanted a seasoning that was not as strong (I always used AC legg's) and tasted "more like pork". After many failures I found WD's site, used the recommendations for fresh pork sausage, mixed a batch, and gave it to this customer. He said it was exactly what he was looking for.

I have always sent out my hams, loins, and mixed sausages for smoking and am ready to build my own smokehouse. This is the place with all the knowledge. I didn't know there was a forum here. The site has changed, but I can't recall seing it before.

By the way! There used to be a superb scrapple recipe on the old site and cannot locate it. It was a good base recipe, and like a fool, I never printed it out! Does anyone remember it? If so can it be reposted? I'd certainly appreciate it.

~J
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Dec 03, 2010 23:25

Hey Butcher,

We like this recipe,

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/hams-other ... a-scrapple

It is probably the one you are looking for, :?: :wink:

Colin
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher » Sat Dec 04, 2010 00:12

steelchef wrote:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/hams-other ... a-scrapple

It is probably the one you are looking for, :?: :wink:

Colin
That's the one buddy! I use only buckwheat flour (hand-milled) in my recipe along with white pepper and flax (I put flax in everything)
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sat Dec 04, 2010 02:35

The English speaking forum has been online for less than a year.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED