Preserving Pig Casings

William O Young

Preserving Pig Casings

Post by William O Young » Tue Dec 10, 2019 03:10

After the salt is washed off inside and out, what is the best way to keep the leftover ones .I am guessing in a jar covered with water in the fridge but does salt have to be added as a preservative ? ?
Butterbean

Re: Preserving Pig Casings

Post by Butterbean » Tue Dec 10, 2019 06:53

Whenever I make sausages I'll rehydrate the whole hank rinsing the salt and soaking them in a bucket leaving the tie in place. I'll let them soak an hour or more while getting things ready to stuff. When I go to stuff them I untie the knot and leave the plastic ring in place then pull one casing out of the bundle. In doing this I have no trouble with knotting and its easy to extract the needed casing.

When I finish, I tie the knot back in place and remove the hank and place in a colander to drain and cover them with salt and leave to drain. Occasionally adding more salt as needed. By morning the casings are well salted and reasonably dry. I then put them back in a plastic bag adding more salt and place in the fridge till needed again.

Its helpful to purchase salt from a pool supply store. Its dirt cheap and serves this purpose just fine.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 10, 2019 07:07

William O Young wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 03:10
After the salt is washed off inside and out, what is the best way to keep the leftover ones .I am guessing in a jar covered with water in the fridge but does salt have to be added as a preservative ? ?
That's what I do. Leave them in a jar in a highly concentrated salt solution. Have left them that way for months.
William O Young

Post by William O Young » Tue Dec 10, 2019 07:13

Thanks for those replies guys .