Question about Kabanosy

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Question about Kabanosy

Post by atcNick » Sun Nov 14, 2010 04:09

How long do Kabanosy last at room temperature? If I make a huge batch and want to freeze them, at what point should I freeze them? After a week or drying or before?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31

I left mine hanging at room temp. just an extra week. They became too dry as they continued to dry. I froze them at that point. I would think you would want dry them and freeze the extra right away.

Dave Zac
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Sun Nov 14, 2010 13:55

Kabanosy will last a long time at room temperature but will continue to dry out the best way to know when its done is to weigh it. Kabanosy you want it to lose 45% of it's green weight. If you start with 10lbs you are done when it weighs 5lbs 8oz or 55% of what you started with. That's when you can eat it or freeze it. If you like it drier let it hang longer.
I dry my sausages in the smoker with the draft and dampers open and keep the temps at 54f. I have Polska Wedzona in there right now I'm looking for a 15% weight loss and should be there today, maybe :wink:
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Nov 14, 2010 16:44

Thanks guys.

Trosky, what kind of smoker do you have that you can keep it that low of a temp (54) to dry in? Do you have a water pan or anything like that in to add humidity? I would think the winter temps make for low humidity outdoors. The recipes I've seen call for 75-80% humidity.

I'm going to try drying mine in a mini fridge. I can adjust the temp up to 55f and I don't think it's frost free so it will be humid. I will also try to dry some in the house at room temp(70-72f). I'm thinking about covering it with cheese cloth while drying in the house to keep any stray flies from getting on the sausage. What do you think?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Sun Nov 14, 2010 19:13

atcnick there are pics of my smoker in the "Hardware" section of this forum. I can hold any temperature that is at or above the outside air temperature. I bring the smoker in the garage when I'm drying sausage, right now it is 45f 78% humidity. When it drops to 32f or below the humidity drops down also but by controlling the draft on the smoker I can control the humidity in the smoker remember it is full of moist meat if you don't have air flow or a way to take that moisture out the sausage will not dry correctly.The mini fridge you have will work if you provide air flow, hanging in the house will dry them but maybe to fast the reason for a slow drying process is to let smoke penetrate through the sausage. Flies? in November maybe were you live but I won't see any bugs till next May. Well time for the Browns to beat the Jets good luck.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Nov 15, 2010 17:11

I've read that sheep casings are very delicate. Would collagen casings work better for kabanosy without sacrificing quality?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 18:39

I used sheep casings with no problems. I also use them on breakfast sausage, I've made allot more of this than Kabanosy and no trouble. I haven't tried collagen but I have heard they can be tuff.
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Mon Nov 15, 2010 23:12

atcNick wrote: Would collagen casings work better for kabanosy without sacrificing quality?
I'm afraid not. Kabanosy benefit from the delicate structure of sheep casing. The same in collagen is much harder. You can buy this type of sausages in the shopping mole. Not recommended.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 04:22

Well I made a trip out to bass pro in Shreveport this evening. They have a big selection of meat and sausage processing....everything but sheep casings! Looks like I'll be ordering online.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 01:44

Just ordered some 22-24mm sheep casings from the sausagemaker.com. Can't wait to get started. They also had 20-22mm for sale. I hope the ones I got aren't too big for kabanosy.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:20

Should be ok. Please remember to avoid long mixing of meat with ingredients. Do it very gently, just enough to combine all ingredients. Opposite to sausages, it is not desired here that the meat will become sticky.
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Nov 18, 2010 14:17

Siara wrote:Should be ok. Please remember to avoid long mixing of meat with ingredients. Do it very gently, just enough to combine all ingredients. Opposite to sausages, it is not desired here that the meat will become sticky.
Now I think this is very important advice. Thanks Siara. When I made my kabanosy I mixed 5 minutes until sticky. Does that affect the drying or just the texture?

Dave Zac
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 14:36

:sad: Me too
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 16:24

Siara wrote:Should be ok. Please remember to avoid long mixing of meat with ingredients. Do it very gently, just enough to combine all ingredients. Opposite to sausages, it is not desired here that the meat will become sticky.
Thanks for the advice siara. I thought the meat should be sticky, glad you cleared that up for me.

I'm planning on sticking the pieces of meat in the freezer after they have cured, right before I grind, for about 30 minutes and stick the grinder attachments in the freezer too. And I will mix all the seasonings with ice water before I put it in the meat. Does this sound like a good idea?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Sun Nov 21, 2010 23:14

Dave Zac wrote: Does that affect the drying or just the texture?
Texture, if you mix too long, then kabanosy are very flexible, hard to brake when you bend them. When correct procedure is applied, they should easily brake with characteristic "click" sound.
atcNick wrote: I thought the meat should be sticky
Foll all other sausages yes, not for kabanosy.
atcNick wrote:stick the grinder attachments in the freezer too.
Hmm, be carefull as steel in the low temp, can brake easily. If you will keep the meat below 10 C is already good enough.
Pozdrawiam
Siara