Canned meat by StefanS

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jun 26, 2017 23:17

Those look really good. I do some canning and I'll often take venison and can it to have on hand later. It pretty good and comes in handy.

What I do is cut the meat up like stew meat.

I then weigh it. Once weighed I'll add:

1.0% Salt
0.25% Cure 1 - you can omit this but I like the color it gives plus it adds to the life once opened
0.2% Black Pepper
0.2% Garlic Powder
0.2% Onion Powder

Process

Mix the salts and spices together and mix well with the cubed venison and let rest in refrigerator while you are preparing your jars. It might be better to let it rest overnight but I don't.

Once jars are sterilized, add 1/2 tsp of beef bouillon to each sterilized pint jar then stuff the meat into the jars as tightly as possible and remove as many air pockets as possible and leave one inch of head space. No need to add any liquids because it will generate its on liquid during processing and this liquid is a wonderful for gravy or cooking.
Clean jar rims well and place warm tops on them and process in pressure cooker at 10 psi for 75 minutes. 90 minutes if you are using quarts. It is important to let the canner cool on its own so let the pressure decrease by itself. When finished these are shelf stable for however long they last on the shelf.

This is but one recipe. If you take your knowledge of sausage making and apply it to canning you can make all sorts of things.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Jun 27, 2017 01:10

redzed wrote:We recently made a huge pot of Hungarian goulash
I would like to see recipe.. I'm goulash lover ..
I do some canning and I'll often take venison and can it to have on hand later.
BB -it is very nice, tasty, simple recipe.
If you take your knowledge of sausage making and apply it to canning you can make all sorts of things.

plus knowledge of operating pressure canner and canning principles ...
When finished these are shelf stable for however long they last on the shelf.
if in jars - not in daylight...
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 00:49

During free time at end of February I've made a cleaning of my freezers and refrigerators. There were some frozen packages with pork trimmings (off hams, shoulders, pork loins). Decided to make some pork in jars.
One of recipe - Ligawa's recipe for "Tuszonka" with small modifications. Second one - "Pork in juice".
For me and family and friends - outstanding (28 made - at this moment only 8 left) - some photos -
Preparation -
- after pasteurization- at 15 Lb - 85 min (time started be counted at 121*C)
- next day - cooled down to 10*C
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Mar 29, 2018 02:06

That looks great. With fatty meat do you ever have problems with getting a proper seal? I've never canned fatty meat but I've read some things where they imply that you need to watch the fat but it looks like you aren't having any problems. Just curious. Lots of difference between reading and doing.
redzed

Re: Canned meat by StefanS

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 30, 2018 14:25

Stefan that canned meat looks great! Something rhat has been on my to do list for a long time. Just have to find some time. :shock:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Apr 13, 2020 21:18

It is looks like we are having difficult time in our easy life. During these times i have prepared some food just in case that there can be more difficult times. Friend of mine have had some over stocked meats that he had to take care of it. He dropped off one pork butt, one picnic shoulder and one slab of pork belly. My freezer is full so I have decided to make "ala' Tushonka/Tuszonka". A little history. that canned meat let the Soviet army survive tough time during WWII. In early 1940-ish that kind of canned food was made by USA and then transported by the sea to Russia. here is original picture of it - https://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/topic/21 ... entry51895
Because mine recipe isn't like original so I call it "ala'"..
Meats - pork butt, pork shoulder (without bone and skin), pork belly without skin - 1:0.75:0.30
meats cubed like- 2"x2". 2"x3"
Sea salt - 9 g/kg
cure #1 -1g/kg
black pepper - 2 g/kg
garlic granulated -1 g/kg
onion minced dried - 3 g/kg
onion minced toasted - 1 g/kg
bay leaves ground - 0.5 g/kg
all spices - 0.5 g/kg
Meats cubed and mixed with spices. I let them stays overnight in closed container in cold place (garage at 42-45 F).
19 oz. tiny cans tightly packed. Head space filled with 2% salt solution. Cans sealed by All American (older) can sealer.
Sealed cans processed at 121*C (252F) for 95 min. in All American Pressure Canner.
After rapid cooling down these cans can stays " for years". Meat can be eaten cold, can be used like base for different dishes.
I think so that it is time for some of us remains that there are different ways to prepare food for tough times. Mc Donalds and pizza won't survive without refrigerators.
DSC_0151.JPG
DSC_0152.JPG
DSC_0156.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG
sobol

Post by sobol » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:06

Stefan is sea salt 9g/kg correct?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Apr 23, 2020 14:32

Yes - it is correct - 9 g/kg sea salt + 1 g/kg cure #1 - so I made with 10 g/kg peklosol.(not everybody in my circle of eaters like saltines).
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 16:57

Stefan, those looks impressive! I wanted to start canning long time ago but couldn't decide for sure... because was (and still) afraid that my wife kick me out of the house for so many hobbies I have :) sausage making, meats smoking, bread baking, etc.... I think it's time to start... and I have a couple of questions for you: 1. Does it make sense in your opinion to by AA Canner for about $300 instead of cheaper caner like Presto at around $160 -200?
Also, regarding to your Tushonka recipe - this is still our favorite meal but we can’t find anything close to that taste here, in US. I buying this caned Tushonka form different Russian stores, different brands but nothing was even close… In your canning process of making Tushonka you have mentioned this:” 19 oz. tiny cans tightly packed. Head space filled with 2% salt solution. Cans sealed by All American (older) can sealer. Question: is it possible to make it using mason jars? I am not sure I know what tine cans you are talking about… I understand they are metal jars but I am not sure I can find a sealer for those cans or it could be very expensive.. Thank you in advance!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Apr 28, 2020 22:25

bolepa wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 16:57
1. Does it make sense in your opinion to by AA Canner for about $300 instead of cheaper caner like Presto at around $160 -200?
hmm - i'm using AA canner. but just for try you do not need spend money. They are good for metal tin cans but not for glass Mason jars.
bolepa wrote:
Question: is it possible to make it using mason jars?
- yes. it is perfect solution to try. You will get taste and you will find if it is right taste for you. for that you will need - example -one dozen of wide mouth Ball jars, prepare meat, pack in jars leaving 1/2" head space. put packed jars in cooking pot, on bottom of pot put any kind of kitchen towel (jars cannot have direct contact with pot bottom), Fill pot with cold water to cover jars. Heat it up to point of boiling. Then hold on medium heat for around 60 min. Shut off heat but leave jars in pot on stove for next 18-24 hours. It will slowly cool down to room temperature. Next day repeat process with boiling for 45 min. Again leave it for next day. On next day repeat process with boiling for 30 min. When they cool down to around 120-130F remove them from water to further cool down. That process is called tendallization. Jars with meat can be stored in refrigerator up to 12 months. In Europe it is quite popular way to prepare food.
bolepa wrote:
I understand they are metal jars but I am not sure I can find a sealer for those cans or it could be very expensive.
check - "house of cans" or "canadian - Wells can company.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Wed Apr 29, 2020 15:36

Stefan, thanks a lot for the clarification! I appreciated that.