HELP!!! Ammonia smell and taste in salami after curing!

johnnybgoode333

HELP!!! Ammonia smell and taste in salami after curing!

Post by johnnybgoode333 » Sat May 02, 2020 16:04

Hi everyone, this is my very first post on here. I hope everyone is keeping well during these crazy days.

My problem:

MY SALAMIS SMELL AND TASTE LIKE AMMONIA!!!

I decided to use Mold 600 (penicillium nalgiovense) on my soppressatas (salamis) after stuffing. I've always had an issue with bad green fuzzy mold in my cantina (cold cellar) so I figured this method would solve that issue, which it did.

I dunked the salamis in a mold 600 bath before hanging. After a couple of weeks they all had that thick white mold on them so I thought everything was fine. A little while later I started to notice a strong "ammonia like" smell in my cellar. I read some posts on here and the majority said that the smell should clear up which in fact it did for the most part (not completely).

BUT now it's time to peel off the casings and vacuum pack the salamis and I notice the smell and taste of ammonia on them!!! Did the taste transfer inside the meat itself or is it just on the outside? Will it dissipate after vacuum packing? Should I wipe them down with olive/corn oil before packing? I've already removed the casings on 2 of them and I left the others still hanging. I don't know what to do. I can't bring myself to serve them like this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

John
Bob K

Re: HELP!!! Ammonia smell and taste in salami after curing!

Post by Bob K » Tue May 05, 2020 12:31

Welcome to the Forum!
Unfortunately at this point you are pretty much stuck with the slightly bitter taste but the smell should dissipate. It is not toxic.
It was caused by over active proteolysis from the enzymes in the mold. to prevent the overgrowth of mold you can drop the temp in your drying area and increase air exchange. A light covering of mold is what you want, not a thick layer.
johnnybgoode333

Post by johnnybgoode333 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:22

Thanks for getting back to me Bob..
Yes I definitely had a thick white mold on them. Almost as if they were covered in whip cream. The salamis don't have that sweet cheesy smell either. I guess the mold over powered that. I'm going to bag them and hope for the best but I'm almost certain I have to throw them all in the garbage. All 90 of them!!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed May 06, 2020 12:48

Strong smell of ammonia, thick, fluffy mold covering on batons is sign of high humidity, lack of air circulation, high temperature of your cellar. As @bob K mentioned - p. nalgiovense had too good environmental to grow. Just peel casings, put in vac-pack for few weeks. Do not use any ideas about oil etc.
You didn't mention any important data - what is weight loss? or pH?