[USA] Makin' Bacon

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 06:58

Hey Hey TxBigRed. That bacon looks amazing. Nice job. Wow it makes your mouth water just lookin' at it. Keep up the great work. What's next on the agenda?
I'm waiting patiently for Dave Zac's photos of not only pork bacon, but lamb belly bacon as well.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Nov 26, 2010 13:15

Looks great Dave.

Here are some of my latest.

Pork baconImage

Lamb baconImage

Not overly pleased with either immediately. Smoked last Saturday, tested Sunday. BUT, as with my limited experience, all cured and smoked products taste much better after a week. That will be tomorrow or Sunday.

The lamb is very thin ribbons (1/2") and pretty lean.

Dave Zac
TxBigRed
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TxBigRed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 15:21

Hello Dave,
Your bacon looks really good! How does the lamb taste compared to the pork bacon? I'll bet it tastes great!

DAve
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Nov 26, 2010 17:58

Very Nice Dave! I'm sure we arre all curious to know how the taste is after a week. Sure hope it improves. The recipe sounds yummy. :grin:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 20:25

Hey DaveZak,
Great photos of great meat as usual. Now, if you'll just give us directions how we can get to your house! :wink:
Everyone's curious about the taste of the lamb. Was it worth all the hassle?
Nice work pal.
Dave for President in 2012 ! :grin:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 21:21

The lamb bacon ended up tasting really good. Not a real strong "lamby" taste at all. Lots of work for smallish reward. Glad I did it though as it is indeed an unusual product. I like that. I would make it again if I were to get another lamb.

Dave zac
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Jan 13, 2011 17:41

TxBigRed wrote:Here's 2 bellies I did a little while ago. I used Morton's Sugar cure, I think the next ones I will just pump with brine/cure. I soaked them in water before smoking to remove some of the salt. I thought they turned out pretty good.

Dave

After the cure and into the smoker:

After smoking:

Ready to slice:

Some of it sliced..and a snack for the chef!!

WHERE DID YOU GET THESE NICE THICK PORK BELLIES FROM ???? I CAN ONLY GET ANOREXIG BELLIES HERE , NOT WORTH A DAMN ???????

REGARDS SIGGI
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Wed Jan 26, 2011 22:51

will nobody give me an answer here please ?? they look awsome , i wish i could buy bellies like that !!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:06

Toolman ol' chap,

I'll pick you up on my Harley and we can ride down to see where Big Texas Red gets those bellies. Heck pard, he's probably feedin' his own stock with some kind of special diet like ice cream and lasagna! :mrgreen:
Maybe he didn't see your post at the bottom of the picture. Allow me to send a PM and get an answer for you. :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:25

great thanks !!!
hey they may be fed with wheetbeer !!!! :lol: :lol:
TxBigRed
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TxBigRed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 04:19

Sorry about that Toolman. I've been on the road for over a month and have not had much free time to browse. Chuckwageon sent me a PM that you had ask where I got the bellies. There is a Korean Grocery store here in Houston called "Super H Mart" that carries them. I think they are a nation wide chain, as I saw one in Fairfax VA. a couple weeks ago. I met a guy at Allied Kenco that told me that they had the best bellies in the area. Good luck!

Dave
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Jan 27, 2011 16:15

unfortunatelly , none close to me !!! if i drive back to canada i can stop in NILES illinois , but that is a long time away , i just got back 3 weeks ago !!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Makin' Bacon

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01

[USA] Makin` Bacon
Bad Bob - My Pal The Bullshipper

Countless numbers of people have eaten in Bad Bob`s kitchen and have actually gone on to eventually digest food conventionally and lead near-normal lives! The man was a great friend although he had more layers than a late summer onion and a tongue that would effectively fertilize 40 acres before it stretched the truth across the Nevada state line! He once told me that he was selling one of his cows because he couldn't get any milk out of him. And Bob could slow down whenever he felt like it! When he shifted into low, it took his "five o`clock shadow" until 7:30 PM to grow out! Once, it took Bob forty-five minutes to write down three of his favorite sausage recipes. He said he took his time because he knew I was such a slow reader. When I told him I couldn't read his writing anyway, he tipped his hat back, scratched his head and said, "Well make a copy and read your own"!
The man wore a Colt .44 magnum upon his hip instead of a .45 and I swear its slugs were big around as baseballs. Bob was responsible for shippin' the bulls at the ranch, becoming a "bullshipping" expert. He always wore a black Stetson "Bullrider", a cowboy hat with a deeply curved rim, much too large for his head. The hat was tucked down to the bottom of his ears and with a full beard and coal black eyes, he resembled a swashbuckling movie idol of the twenties. Bob was a good-natured and genial fellar', and everyone liked being around him just to hear the stories he told with the expanded expertise only a true bullshipper could possess. His carefully chosen adjectives penetrated the hearts and minds of all listeners.

Bad Bob`s Bacon Balm
Salt-Cure Mixture For Bacon And Salt Pork

1/2 cup Cure #1
2-1/2 lbs. salt (not iodized)
Sweet Hungarian Paprika (for bacon)
honey

In many places, it is becoming difficult to purchase small amounts of "fresh" (uncured) bacon. Butchers may order entire bellies from his supplier, selling home hobbyists enough "fresh" bacon to feed the NFL and adequate salt pork to flavor a mountain of beans. I used to drive myself nuts trying to trim the skin from a belly before I learned how to cure it first, and then remove the skin the minute it comes out of the cooker-smoker while the fat just beneath the skin remained softened. Oh... the lessons we learn the hard way eh? Anyway, cut squares to fit your smoker and bacon hooks.
Ideally, for making salt pork, the skin is removed, the raw squares are cut in half lengthwise, the meaty bacon pieces are separated from the side pork, and all of it is rubbed with a salt-cure mixture. However, it is at this point I like to add a jar of honey to the mixture used on the bacon slabs (not the salt pork).
Separated inside their own food-grade plastic lugs, (or in large, zip-type plastic bags), the bacon and salt pork slabs are placed on beds of salt-cure with additional salt-cure sprinkled generously on top of each slab. Place the product into a cooler six days at 38°;F. (3°;C.). Remove the bacon and salt pork, drain away the moisture and repeat the salting process once again - another bed of salt with more on the top for another six days in the cooler.
Finally, remove the product and wash it thoroughly with cool (but not cold) water. Some folks like to soak the bacon half an hour to remove some of the salt at this point. Cut bacon pieces into convenient foot-long sections and hang them to dry four hours. Rub the meaty bacon pieces with plenty of paprika but omit the spice on the salt pork. Note that in the U.S.A., backfat is also used for salt pork and may be cured along with any bacon pieces.
To prep-cook the bacon, hang it in a preheated 135°;F. (57°;C.) smokehouse, apply hickory smoke, and continue cooking-smoking until the internal meat temperature reaches 128°;F. (53°;C.). Reduce the smokehouse temperature to 120°;F. (49°;C.) and continue cooking and smoking until the desired bloom is obtained. Refrigerate the bacon overnight before slicing. Note: As this product is not cooked beyond 138°;F. (59°;C.) during preparation, it must be considered a raw meat product until it is cooked for consumption.
To prep-cook the salt pork, hang it in a preheated smokehouse at only 75°;F. (24°;C.), apply hickory smoke twenty four hours. It should be fully bloomed at this point, exhibiting a brick-red color. Note: As this product is not cooked beyond 138°;F. (59°;C.) during preparation, it must be considered a raw meat product until it is cooked for consumption.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Aug 31, 2012 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 18, 2011 05:35

Thanks for posting this Dadddio!

It is on my Spring must-do list. :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

[color=darkblue] (Canada)[/color] Canning Bacon

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 18, 2011 08:58

Y'all may recall that I have a particular (fetish?) for canning meat. I find it convenient and very flavorful. it also clears the freezers for more sausage makin' material.

I found this procedure on a blog, several years ago (more than 5) and tried it, using commercial bacon, purchased in bulk. The resulting eleven, 1 quart jars were reduced to 6 within a week. I hid the remainder behind the crabapples, which are not our most favored preserves and promptly forgot about them. The better half discovered them yesterday.
Outstanding does not cover it at all. It was like a well aged whisky. We had Huevos Rancheros for brunch today with the bacon on the side.

Canning Bacon
Sterilize the jars and prepared the lids. Place one pound of thick cut bacon strips on a sheet of parchment paper, they can overlap just as they come out of the commercial package. If using your own product or cutting from a slab, layer them in a similar manner Cover with another sheet and fold the bacon in half. Roll the bacon tightly so that it will fit into a quart Mason jar. Add nothing! Wipe jars with tissue or towel to be sure of no rim contamination. Process in a pressure canner for 90 minutes with a weight suitable for your altitude, (Chuckwagon needs about 6 oz. on his mountain.)
The result will provide not only a delicious, (more healthy) handy treat but at least a half inch of wonderful, unburned bacon fat.
I have no idea if this is an FDA approved method for canning bacon or not. Use at your own discretion. I do believe that with the 90 minutes of pressure canning, it sure should be safe.

Home canning bacon is a wonderfully thrifty alternative to buying commercially canned bacon. A case of bacon (12 cans) currently runs about $122.00 or $11.00 a can. We estimate that we are able to can a jar of bacon (20 slices) for about $3.00! Quite a savings! Enjoy.