Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 19:25

3/8" I don't think you can fit a 22mm casing on 1/2" but you could try.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sat Nov 27, 2010 00:52

Siara wrote:Should be ok. Please remember to avoid long mixing of meat with ingredients. Do it very gently, just enough to combine all ingredients. Opposite to sausages, it is not desired here that the meat will become sticky.
Im glad you told me this. The website and the book too (I think) says to mix until sticky: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/kabanosy

When I cut the pork into 2" cubes and cure, should I cure for 2 or 3 days? I've seen 48 hours and 72 hours mentioned. Im using instacure#1.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Nov 28, 2010 02:51

I was reading on another forum, one guy says he mixes his spices with the cubed meat right before he grinds to help minimize mixing of the ground meat. You guys ever try this?

Also I need to get me somegloves to handle the meat. My hands are going numb from the cold! Any recommendations?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
TxBigRed
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TxBigRed » Sun Nov 28, 2010 03:41

atcNick wrote:I was reading on another forum, one guy says he mixes his spices with the cubed meat right before he grinds to help minimize mixing of the ground meat. You guys ever try this?

Also I need to get me somegloves to handle the meat. My hands are going numb from the cold! Any recommendations?
Hey Nick,

Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some of the heavy Nitril gloves. That's what I use, and no more frozen hands. They also work good when getting heavy meats off of the grill or smoker, like Butts or Briskets.

Dave
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 04:59

Nick, one of the best investments I ever made was a hand-cranked geared mixer from the Sausagemaker. It is stainless steel and cleanup is easy in a large sink with... WARM water... Ahhhhh! :grin: As I got older, I had to get it because I developed arthritis and mixing cold meat habitually brought on extremely imprudent spurts of maliciously rude and dreadfully repulsive, colorful language. :roll:
I never before realized what a time and labor saving device this thing really was - especially whenever mixing to develop the primary bind (myosin formation). I'm just sorry I didn't buy it when I was young. For anyone mixing more than 10 pounds regularly, it's almost a must.
Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:40

Chuckwagon wrote:Nick, one of the best investments I ever made was a hand-cranked geared mixer from the Sausagemaker. It is stainless steel and cleanup is easy in a large sink with... WARM water... Ahhhhh! :grin: As I got older, I had to get it because I developed arthritis and mixing cold meat habitually brought on extremely imprudent spurts of maliciously rude and dreadfully repulsive, colorful language. :roll:
I never before realized what a time and labor saving device this thing really was - especially whenever mixing to develop the primary bind (myosin formation). I'm just sorry I didn't buy it when I was young. For anyone mixing more than 10 pounds regularly, it's almost a must.
Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
Hmmm...Mrs Zac is looking for Christmas ideas! Do not yet have one of these.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/44100tsm-20 ... mixer.aspx
Last edited by Dave Zac on Sun Nov 28, 2010 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 09:58

That's a terrific idea for Christmas Dave. The guys on the English forum say they use a regular Kenwood electric mixer for theirs. Too easy to overmix the stuff in my opinion. And, you can only mix in small batches. With the hand crank large bin mixer, you can mix an entire batch of sausage and inspect it through the plexiglas to avoid overmixing. Also, there is a model that tilts to dump when the sausage has been mixed. The paddles in the thing are shaped and "set" for the maximum amount of mixing with the least amount of effort. The geared model is more expensive but well worth the cost in the long run. A few turns of the handle and the primary bind has become sticky. Hope Santa brings you one - it surely takes the work and cold hands out of mixing.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Dec 06, 2010 03:06

How long will kabanosy last in the fridge?

What's the best way to freeze them? I was thinking about putting them in vacuum bags and freezing them that way. Any advice?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 09:03

Who are you asking Nick? May I take a crack at this one?

How long will they last in the fridge?
About 20 minutes in my house! :lol:
Oh, quite a while... depending on your fridge. Is it frostless etc? Do you have a veggie bin with humidity control? I've had them in mine for a couple of weeks at a time. They become pretty dry after a while, but heck, they're still good eating. If you freeze them, by all means use your vacuum bags. Keeping air and moisture out of the bag is the secret to their survival in the freezer.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:27

Great thread!

My Grandfather taught me to make kabanosy in the traditional way, same as Siara describes.
Godspeed!

Bob
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:36

Baconologist,
You are lucky that you were taught by your grandfather, family recipes from the old country are my favourite and very hard to find.
Do publish the recipe on the forum PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Best Regards,
Jan.