[USA] Pork rinds

BonAir

[USA] Pork rinds

Post by BonAir » Wed Dec 01, 2010 18:06

Hi.
There is an interesting topic on polish sausage maker's forum called "Pork rinds chips" with some Youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHEx4AH ... ature=fvwp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTmzdWr3yo

This topic is very interesting because we do not have any traditions in making pork rinds in Poland , at least in region I live.
Furthermore they are not commercially available at all and it looks like they are popular in USA (as you can see on second YT video).
So, do you have any experience in making homemade pork rinds ?

Regards
B.
Last edited by BonAir on Fri Feb 25, 2011 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Pozdrawiam
BonAir

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/viewtopic ... 7286#47286
Co by tu jeszcze sprasować... ? :D
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Wed Dec 01, 2010 19:03

Pork rinds are good and my favorite ones are the Hot and spicy ones. I Never tried to make them myself, can't buy the skin around here. What is the difference between "Skwarki" and pork rinds, I always thought they where the same :?:
Trosky
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 05:02

Trosky wrote:Pork rinds are good and my favorite ones are the Hot and spicy ones. I Never tried to make them myself, can't buy the skin around here. What is the difference between "Skwarki" and pork rinds, I always thought they where the same :?:
Trosky
I may be wrong. But I think skwarki is either bacon or backfat fried in small little pieces. My mom use to put them on top of pierogi with some sour cream. Oh man oh man....Im getting hungry now!!!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
BonAir

Post by BonAir » Thu Dec 02, 2010 09:42

atcNick is right.
So called "Smalec ze skwarkami" (lard with cracklins) is made from grinded backfat (bacon is rather "too good" for this purpose ;) )
Pozdrawiam
BonAir

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/viewtopic ... 7286#47286
Co by tu jeszcze sprasować... ? :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Mar 12, 2011 01:46

I have finally convinced my butcher to supply my back fat with skin attached. I insinuated that without the skin, i couldn't be sure which part of the hog it actually came from.
So wise associates, what do I do to convert this into puffy pork rinds. I'm guessing a really hot oven or deep frying at a high temp. I do prefer the oven route. Of course it will have to have a brief exposure to the hickory. Maybe a basic bacon brine for 12 hours, rinse, dry and smoke for an hour with dampers half open?
Lend me your thoughts, please!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Emmanu

Post by Emmanu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08

Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe.
Lots of appreciation for you dear. I hope you would keep informing us about new and good recipes in the future.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 27, 2011 02:42

I have no experience with pork rinds but I do know that you need water to get puffyness. Try deep frying fresh noodles before they have dried dried noodles and noodles that were cookedin water before subjected to frying.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Oct 09, 2011 18:40

Deep fry fresh skin pieces to get pork rinds.
Dick

Never quit learning!
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Oct 09, 2011 22:51

Sounds like why when we have cracklings from our lard you can take the skin pieces if not cooked till hard and puff them in the microwave. If you try this use lots of paper to soak up the grease. I found out the hard way.
nepas
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by nepas » Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:24

My mom put cracklins in her pinto beans when she cooked em.
NePaSmoker
KCBS Member
MAK Grill #48
Retired
http://bluesmokeandbbq.blogspot.com/
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 04, 2012 02:24

I have a picnic that I am planning to use a portion for bacon with the rind on for use in Boston or New England baked beans.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 06:45

The way I found that works is to cut the skins to the size that you want, place them on a baking tray in the oven at 50 deg C until they are dry.
I then transfer them to a wok on low heat without any lard or fat and allow the fat to render out , you need to give them a regular stir a bit like making popcorn. Keep stiring until they have all fizzed out , do not over heat them as they will become bitter. Once I have poured the fat off I add salt and spices and give it a good shake up to distribute evenly.

Enjoy. :smile:
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 17:25

I was watching a cooking show that was visiting Louisiana. The Cajuns rendered the skin to get the fat out. They then let the skins cool while heating the fat to a high temperature. When they put the cooled skins into the hot fat they puffed up .
Dick

Never quit learning!
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 22:50

One technique that is worth trying is to slowly braise the skin or even ears until tender before going into the drying phase. Once the skins are dry you can fry them up and they will be quite a bit more aerated and unctuous.

Another wild tip is to add tapioca maltodextrin to Franks Red Hot or your favorite hot sauce. When you mix the two ingredients in a blender at a ratio near 2:5, you will see a transformation of liquid to powder that you can then sprinkle on your pork rinds.