Using a water bath for cooking

toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Wed Jan 04, 2012 16:54

i poach everything , better juiciness , at least for my tatse buds !!!!
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Thu Jan 05, 2012 00:41

I like the idea of using the water bath to finish the sausages. I have been looking at Nesco roasters online. They all seem to only go as low as 200 degrees. Is there one that anyone recommends that will go as low as 165-170 degrees?
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Jan 05, 2012 01:03

Blackriver wrote:I like the idea of using the water bath to finish the sausages. I have been looking at Nesco roasters online. They all seem to only go as low as 200 degrees. Is there one that anyone recommends that will go as low as 165-170 degrees?
I almost bought this one before I found the westinghouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTRS23-22 ... 619&sr=8-3

22 qt capacity "...adjust the temperatures between 150 and 450 degrees F"
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 05, 2012 01:46

I bet if you get into the technicals you can set the thermostat to any range you need.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 05, 2012 18:57

I have a German friend who poaches her sausage before grilling it, so as to prevent flare-ups. Seems to me that poaching would extract some of the flavor, trading moistness for taste. Would you guys with experience care to comment?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 05, 2012 19:12

Just taste the poaching water when you finish.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 05, 2012 19:16

ssorllih wrote:Just taste the poaching water when you finish.
She lives 1200 miles away, unfortunately.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 20:59

el Ducko wrote:I have a German friend who poaches her sausage before grilling it, so as to prevent flare-ups. Seems to me that poaching would extract some of the flavor, trading moistness for taste. Would you guys with experience care to comment?
Traditionally my Mom would Poach "Fresh Sausages (Kielbasa) prior to grilling or added it to sauerkraut or to the dish she was using the sausage for without any lose of flavor. I have continued to follow this tradition but I have tried it both ways (poached and un-poached) with equal success however flare ups can be an issue with any sausage that is grilled on to high of heat! What normally causes a flare up is the casing bursting and the fat dripping onto the ignition source (coals, flame etc.) You can address that a couple of different ways. I always have a spray bottle handy to put out the flare up or you can fashion a drip pan under the sausages to prevent the fat from dripping into the ignition source.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 02:46

See what you guys made me do, I got my rebate check back from Allstate (they like to give you some of your money back to make you feel good about them hosing you every six months, I got $70 this time.) So i purchased this from Amazon and it got here in record speed, Did not know they had a warehouse one city over from here.

Figured craigslist you never know if it was used for a crackpot instead of a crockpot.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 17:10

Nice
Thats on my wish list but you guys are lucky to get such a great deal. Hear in Canada if I had that sent to me this is what it would cost me :evil:
Order Summary
Items: $57.09
Shipping & Handling: $91.81 <--------whats up with that??
Total Before Tax: $148.90
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $11.86
Order Total: $160.76
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 17:22

Nice pickup, Keymaster! I see poaching in your near future!

Devo......Holy Schmoley!!!! :shock:
For $91.80 s&h, I'd expect them to deliver it, set it & cook your meal for you, and provide a post-meal massage.

I suppose those perks actually arent included in those outrageous charges...

- Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. &#8212; Hebrews 13:8
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 17:56

NorCal Kid wrote:Nice pickup, Keymaster! I see poaching in your near future!
I Emailed Auberins and asked them if I could use my Bradley plug and play PID for a sous vide pid if I got a different probe and this was his response:
Hello Aaron,

Yes, it will work for sous vide cooking. You need to make sure the current that the cooker draws less than 12A for WSD-1203CPH or 15A for WSD-1503CPH.

You need this probe,
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=113

Thanks,
Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com

I need to see how many amps the Turkey roaster draws to see if my pid will work, no big deel if it does not. I did get it to poach my sausages anyway and maybe even roast a turkey :mrgreen:
Wow Devo that Border is not your friend at times, My wifes Uncle lives in Canada, he's a good friend to me.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 18:06

Hey Devo,
That's Highway Robbery at its finest :mad: I had a similar experience with Amazon and those extra cost might note actually be from Amazon. They sell advertising space along with run their own distribution center. (my son actually worked for one about a year ago) Individual sellers on Amazon can charge whatever the want for shipping and handling etc. and Amazon won't interfere. (as long as they get there cut)

What happen to me I order a box of "sort quick" they come 12 to a box and the advertised cost was .25 cents each container. When I went to place my order the shipping charge was $9.40 per each container (that's $9.40 x 12 individual containers instead of $9.40 for one box of 12) I called Amazon and they stated that the shipping charges are up to the Individual sellers, the seller tried to tell me that the charges were in line and that they sent the container out individually (12 separate shipments) Note: a box of 12 come in a box 5in. x 5in. x 3in. high. I ended up get the same item from a different supplier on Amazon and ended up paying more for the individual pieces (.69 cents vs. .25 cents) but only paid one shipping charge of $8.75.

So be very careful and that great deal might not be so great after shipping and handling charges. Normally if it comes directly from Amazon it will say "This Order Fulfilled by Amazon someplace on the page"
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 07, 2012 18:35

Very often buying locally is a better deal. That way you just have your transportation cost. (car)
Ross- tightwad home cook
ajwillsnet
User
User

Post by ajwillsnet » Sat Jan 07, 2012 20:23

Here in Victoria BC, we have some thrift stores, something like Salvation Army. I picked up one of these turkey roasters for $ 20.00. I plug it into the same PID controller that I use for my smoke house. Just set the desired temp you want and let do its job.
Bert,