Boudain Sausage Problem

Double R

Boudain Sausage Problem

Post by Double R » Fri Jan 21, 2011 03:19

I've got a problem with my boudain sausage. The rice and meat is all cooked and cooled and stuffed in my casings. Next I try to steam them to an internal temp. of 152. They start to blow out. They were only at 140 internal. I'm thinking the the rice is exspanding when they heat up. I put a fresh one in a fry pan with a little butter and start to heat it up turning it. Both ends start opening upand the mixture starts coming out. I can see that the rice isn't swelling the casing is shrinking. By the time I get it to 150 degrees its shrunk to half its size. Any one else have this problem with Boudain?
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:14

Any one else have this problem with Boudain?

No can't say that I've that problem with them. With all the rice in them there's not much meat to bind them to the casings. I just tie mine off and bake them or fry,never did try to boil one.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Jan 21, 2011 22:22

Casings will shrink some and conform to the sausage, you see this after you cook the causage and are able to clip it at the twist without it opening up.

Making boudain I do have the occasional blowout, but not like you are talking about.

How did you prep the casings? Do you use vinegar in the water? That softens the casing a bit.

Are these casings the same brand you ahve used in the past?

Are you possibly over stuffing them?

On boudain the only thing that needs to be cooked (for MOST) is the casing itself. Instead of boiling or steaming the remainders that you have, try letting it "cook" in water that is around 180-200° until you reach the internal temp you desire.

When you put it into the pan to fry, the juices inside are going to expand and the steam has to go some where. You may also try poking a few fine holes into the casing prior to cooking.

Let us know how it turns out.

Charlie
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Fri Jan 21, 2011 23:23

Double R, where can I find recipe You used?
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Double R

Post by Double R » Sat Jan 22, 2011 00:47

Siara its called The Boudin Link. I didn't ty strings on the ends like trosky. I might have to try that. Mine were just linked. I hope its not the casings. I just bought a new hank and its the first time using. I'll restuff some of them and ty the ends with string. If that doesn't work its going to be boudin stuffed bell pepper or boudin balls. The filling is breaded deep fat fryed.
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56

where can I find recipe You used?
Siara; This is close to the one that I use with a few modifications.
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/boudin.html
Enjoy Trosky