Brisket to Pastrami

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Brisket to Pastrami

Post by nuynai » Fri May 04, 2012 15:28

The question I have is, if I buy a commercially produced corned beef brisket can I smoke it low and slow to make pastrami or is there a problem with bacteria forming. My thinking is, that it already has a cure in it and it would be safe. Thanks in advance.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri May 04, 2012 15:49

The only problem I see is that the corned beef brisket is already cooked. So it shouldn't be smoked too long or you will dry it out.
Col. Big Guy
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri May 04, 2012 16:04

Only thing is, the instructions on the package when I get it for St. Pat's Day have cooking instruction on them. All input welcome, as that's how we learn. Thanks, BG.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Fri May 04, 2012 23:21

Nuynai
I would slather that brisket with your favorite BBQ seasoning/rub, let it set in the fridge over night and drop it in the smoker at 225 degrees for a few hours until done. I bet it would be ideal sliced thin on a sandwich roll with your favorite BBQ sauce and cole slaw on the side. Wow I can almost smell it from here :mrgreen:
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Fri May 04, 2012 23:24

Nuynai,

At the risks of committing some form of Charcuterie Blasphemy:

I`ve done it, and it works just fine.

With so many corned briskets on the market already, and occasionally wanting a quick Pastrami fix, I have shortened the prep time by purchasing a commercially cured brisket. There are many spice combinations one can use, but the most common Pastrami seasonings are fresh-ground black pepper, coriander, garlic, red pepper flakes, and paprika.

I like to start with whole peppercorns, coriander seeds, and red pepper flakes. Place into spice grinder and pulse; medium to coarse grind. Add garlic powder and paprika and pulse to mix everything. Place into shaker bottle.

Remove the cured brisket from the package, rinse with fresh water and pat dry with some paper towels.

This is an internet recipe which I modified the use of smoked paprika with real smoke.

Rub 1-2 TBLS yellow mustard over entire brisket surface, sides included. Using the shaker bottle, apply heavy coating of seasoning to brisket. Press into mustard for a good hold.
Preheat smoker to 110° F. Place brisket into smoker and dry it for about one hour or so.

Gradually increase temperature to 200° F while applying your favorite smoke. I like Hickory! After about an hour, stop the smoke and wrap brisket in several layers of foil to seal in the juices.

At this point I place the foiled brisket into an oven proof container, and into a 240° F kitchen oven. After five hours, I remove it and cool to room temperature, leaving the foil wrapping in place. Once at room temperature I place into refrigerator overnight before slicing.

Just my two bits! Good Luck on whatever you do with it.

Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 05, 2012 00:41

The biggest complaint that I have with store bought corned brisket is shrinkage.I corned an angus brisket this spring and was pleased to find that it was just as big when i finished as when i started.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat May 05, 2012 00:43

Jim
Your suggestion sounds spot on bud! Nuynai go for it and let us know how it turns out!

Wally
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat May 05, 2012 01:07

I knew my bro's in smoke would come thru. Thanks.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat May 05, 2012 01:22

Nuynai
Check out Bigguys Moosestrami's recipe sometime, it's the best! One of these days I'm gonna try it with a thick London broil beef steak, just for kicks!

Wally
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Sat May 05, 2012 03:04

ssorllih wrote:The biggest complaint that I have with store bought corned brisket is shrinkage.I corned an angus brisket this spring and was pleased to find that it was just as big when i finished as when i started.
Ross, you are so right! Regrettably, that's the price for being in a hurry.

Jim