Help with casings

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Help with casings

Post by NorthFork » Wed Aug 29, 2012 22:34

Chuckwagon or anyone--

I need some advise on collagen casings. I have only used these casings from one source and had pretty much written them off as a worthless substitute for a good sausage wrap. Today I was in the middle of a large batch of snack sticks and realized I had run short of casings, the only ones available locally were pretty spendy but were in stock. I bought enough finish my run and was surprised at the difference between these and the casings that I had tried- far superior in all respects (these were Hi Mountain casings). So, can anyone advise me on where or what to order in collagen casings? My wife (Judy) says if that is the best you can do just pitch it!!

Thanks
Pat
NorthFork
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 22:54

I live in Canada and have butcher here in town that gets me me casings but even still I need to let him know what I need. I have ordered from sausageMaker.com but they will not ship across the border. It all tepends on what you got the first time around. Fresh is always good
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 02:53

You can get cases from Stuffers.com in BC
Col. Big Guy
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Aug 30, 2012 14:11

I have bought collagen casings retail from both Gander Mountain and Bass Pro. Both places sell the LEM brand. I have not used the smaller diameter collagen yet, but the standard size seems to work okay. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Aug 30, 2012 15:55

Don't know about the other brands mentioned but the one's I have from the Sausage Maker say to keep them refrigerated when not in use, otherwise they'll become brittle. They state that if they become brittle to soak them and that should refresh them.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 06:26

Hi Pat,
There are two types of collagen casings - smoked and clear. Collagen is thin and it won't hold up to hanging from a smoke stick. You can't link it, but smaller collagen casings don't have to be linked - you just stuff them and cut them off with scissors. I lay them out on a smoking screen and find it convenient and quick. I use it often. It doesn't blow out while stuffing and you don't even know it's there when you eat it. In my opinion, it's a great choice for kabanosy although we have another member who says it's too tough. I use both types of collagen casing often - each week as a matter of fact. Sheep casings are just too expensive anymore for me to use as often as I make kabanosy.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Fri Aug 31, 2012 16:54

Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

Chuckwagon, the "Sausage Maker" lists a 22mm casing for fresh sausage which sounds like it is a lighter/thinner casing than the ones they sell for smoking (which according to the description can be hung in the smoker). I am thinking I will try the lighter casings for "fresh" sausage and just do as you suggest and lay them on the smoker screens (which I usually do anyway with the snack sticks. As you say, the sheep casings are getting to where they kind of take the fun out using them!

Any opinion on the difference between the two types of casings that "The Sausage Maker" lists" ?

Thanks again
Pat
lanshan75

Post by lanshan75 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:16

Spamming post deleted by CW - 10.09.12 - Material promoting commercial sales will be deleted.
Last edited by lanshan75 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
minmin
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 05:54

I understand that collagen casings cannot be linked but how do you cut breakfast links without them blowing out when you cook them? I have previously used sheep cassings but the last batch I bought were A)super expensive B) too small to fit any of my stuffing tubes. (I have an Omcan 5lb vertical stuffer).

I have read peoples issues with sheep casings and I am have many of the same issues. It took me 2 hours to load 3ft of casing onto the tube tonight.

Any help would be great. I have about 20lbs of maple coriander sausage that needs stuffing ASAP.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 07:41

Hi workingpoor. You wrote:
I have read peoples issues with sheep casings and I am have many of the same issues. It took me 2 hours to load 3ft of casing onto the tube tonight.

Good to hear from you. Your questions are common ones and most people have found that sheep casings have priced themselves right out of their budgets. I started using collagen casings long ago for breakfast sausages and have found them to be just right for the job. You are correct - they won't link. Cut them with scissors. The trick is to make an entire "rope" of sausage, pin prick the entire length, let it "set up" just a little, then cut it in lengths using a sharp pair of scissors. By allowing the meat to set up (about 30 minutes), it shouldn't ooze out from the ends, providing you don't have too much water in the mixture to begin with. The primary bind should be rather heavy going into the casing.

You wrote:
Toss your plastic tubes and invest in some non-tapered stainless steel. They have smaller ones available at a fairly decent price now.

If you are going to use natural sheep casings, cut the very end off (square) with scissors, separate it, start just a drizzle of water and use the stream to help you separate the casing. Sometimes it helps to sprinkle just a bit of salt on your fingertips. Pull the casing up over the faucet nozzle and rinse the casing out well. Finally, be sure there is a "bubble" of water in the casing to lubricate the interior surface before it goes onto the stuffing horn. This should make the casing slip onto the steel tube easily.

Let us know how things work out workingpoor. You've got friends here. We all work together, so stay with us pal. I'm sure we'll hear from a few other folks about this issue.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:06

Hi Workingpoor,
I know the feeling you have with sheep casings. The best solution is to use some baking soda in the water the casings sit in before stuffing.The water is than slightly alkaline and this makes the casings more slippery, less knots to deal with and the casing slides off the stuffing tube real easy.
Works great on sheep and hog casings
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04

Hey Crusty,
That is one heck of a great tip! Thanks for sharing.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 13, 2012 13:29

Before I knew better I linked some collagen cased sausage. I made the continous strand and then pinched it every six inches and very gently tied a string around the pinch point. Without the pinch, wrapping the string and pulling the knot tight quickly I was just cutting the sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:18

This may help in your casing selection decision.
(...or not.)
Hog casings seem to work great, and aren't very expensive when compared with sheep casing, but when you gotta have small diameter, the question is "Sheep vs. collagen...?"
This guy, Mark Parisi, is really great. Check out his website at http://www.offthemark.com/cartoons/sausage/
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.