Any interest in Rochester, NY white hots?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Any interest in Rochester, NY white hots?

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Jan 31, 2014 19:33

At another sausage making forum (White Hots) there was a discussion about reverse engineering Zweigle's White Hots Pop-Open wieners. It definitely got me interested, enough so that I ordered some from them and had it delivered to me overnight. After careful evaluation and trying to determine what they had in them I came up with my version. The Zweigle's are very mild flavored and my version came out the same. I used everything that Zweigle's lists in their ingredients list while guessing at the mysterious "spices" which all commercial companies seems to keep secret. The only stuff I didn't include was beef or veal. I am opposed to using veal because of the conditions the little critters are exposed to, plus it costs a fortune to buy. Plus I wanted to keep the sausage as white as possible, so no beef.

I had quite a few friends and relatives taste both the original Zweigle's and mine and they overwhelmingly voted mine better.

If there's enough interest, I will post my recipe but bear in mind you will have to use ingredients some will not want to use or have limited access to such as sodium lactate, egg white powder, lemon juice powder, and sausage phosphates.
Rudy
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 04:48

Hi Rudy,
I bet most of the members would like to know your recipe. You are known as a meticulous recipe developer to whoever I am in contact with.
CW will have to list in in the members recipe listing, no ifs or buts.
Cheers mate,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 01, 2014 04:55

I have often substituted turkey breast for veal with good results.
Ross- tightwad home cook
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sat Feb 01, 2014 16:44

OK, here it is. I had it saved in Word, so hope the copy/paste works:

Rudy's White Weiner (Weisswurst) Recipe

(All amounts listed are per 1 Kg meat)
Percentages
900g Pork butt, finely ground..................................90%
100g Pork back fat, finely ground...........................10%

(Below ingredients based on weight of above meat and fat)

2g Egg White, powder (I used Just Whites brand).......0.2%
100g Ice water..........................................................10%
40g Non-fat dry milk powder...................................4%
33g Sodium Lactate 60% solution............................3.3%
17g Salt.....................................................................1.7%
15g Corn syrup solids...............................................1.5%
10g Dextrose.............................................................1.0%
6g Onion powder....................................................0.6%
5g B&P Meat binder (sausage phosphates)............0.5%
3.9g White pepper.....................................................0.39%
2.1g MSG..................................................................0.21%
1g Marjoram...........................................................0.10%
1g Cardamom.........................................................0.10%
0.7g Ginger, ground..................................................0.07%
0.5g Mace..................................................................0.05%
0.5g Lemon powder (True Lemon brand is what I used)....0.05%

Notes: Sodium lactate is used because this recipe has no nitrites or nitrates. Na Lactate helps prevent microbial growth for up to 90 days in cooked sausage; you can omit Na lactate but keep in mind you will want to consume or freeze the cooked sausage within a couple days if omitted. MSG is optional of course. Feel free to substitute real egg whites and real lemon juice but adjust the water amount accordingly. I'll check my camera to see if I saved any pics of the last time I made these and also show mine next to the real Zweigle's.

1. Mix phosphates into ice water until completely dissolved.

2. Mix all dry spices into ground meat and ground fat and then add ice water and phosphate solution. Then add the sodium lactate solution and mix well.

3. Working in small batches, process in food processor until well emulsified. Keep temperature below 51 degrees F.

4. Stuff into 26 - 28 mm hog or sheep casings. I use sheep casings because they result in a tender bite. Zweigle's are packaged 6 to the pound, so try to make your links about 2.67 ounces each.

5. Process in 165 to 170 degrees F water until internal meat temperature of 152° is achieved.

6. Immediately chill in ice bath until IMT is below 100°F.
Rudy
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Feb 01, 2014 17:10

Wow Rudy I wan't to try those!

What is your source for the Sodium Lactate?

Some info on the stuff:

Sodium Lactate, a 60% concentration in water, and is the sodium salt of natural L(+)-Lactic Acid, produced through the fermentation of sugar, an alpha hydroxy acid that occurs everywhere in nature.

Sodium Lactate is one of the Natural Moisturizing Factor (NMF) constituent of skin, required in the maintenance of natural hydration. Sodium Lactate is a superior moisturizer, increasing the moisture content of skin by up to 84%. When compared to other commonly used moisturizers, it's water holding capacity is second only to Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), as referenced by the table below.

Sodium Lactate is an edible material that has been used for decades in the meat-packing industry because it effectively forces cells to hold water.

I would assume it works best on retaining moisture in meat that was not previosly frozen and the cells ruptured?

Thank you for posting
Bob

Oh yea and why is that region of NY famous for its spicy foods like Buffalo Wings. I would assume its the warm winters with little snow!!!!
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sun Feb 02, 2014 17:13

Bob K., here's where I got mine although smaller quantities are available on eBay: Na Lactate for sausage.

Also, if you Google sodium lactate use in sausage you will find several studies showing the antimicrobial effects it has on both fresh and comminuted meat and sausage, thus extending shelf life.

I used pork butts that had been frozen and did not have any problems. I would not want to use previously frozen GROUND pork however.

These are very mildly flavored. If you've ever had weisswurst, you'll know what I mean. They are even more subtle than bratwurst. While I've never had the original Zwiegle's white hots while living on the East coast many years ago, I understand they are generally served on a bun with a ground beef sauce, raw chopped onions and a spicy mustard. Without condiments, these wieners are too bland.
Rudy
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 02, 2014 17:36

Thank you again Rudy!

Weißwurst is something that I have not tried to make yet.

Serve with a big soft NY style Pretzel and mustard....and Bier.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sun Feb 02, 2014 21:55

I tried to edit my original post to input some pictures but I guess one can't after 60 mins of posting. So here's some pics of my endeavor:

Zwiegles's packaging, showing ingredients:

Image[/img]

Emulsified and ready for stuffing:

Stuffed into 26 mm lamb casings:

Image[/img]

After removing from hot water bath, fully cooked:

Image[/img]

Comparison of Zwiegle's on left with mine on right (Zwiegle uses hog casings and I used lamb):

Image[/img]

Cooked and sliced cut. Zwiegle's on bottom and mine on top:

Image[/img]
Rudy
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 06:13

Hi Rudy,
Great photo's, great sausages. I bet yours are made with a lot more attention to detail and are better tasting.
Thank you for posting it all on the forum,
Cheers,
Jan.