Milwaukee - MW102 - pH/Temperature Meter

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Milwaukee - MW102 - pH/Temperature Meter

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 30, 2015 15:58

I'm looking to purchased a reasonably priced pH meter shortly and have read several comments about a few on this site, Thermoworks, my-messgeraet, Lutron, Hanna etc. Some are just to pricey for my needs such as the Hanna. If found the Milwaukee MW102 on Amazon for $113.00.

BobK appears to have purchased this model awhile back. Any comment would be appreciated on this model or any other brand that works well in this price range or under. I'm looking for ease of use. I can't use pH strips. Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Dec 30, 2015 17:00

Tom
Whichever meter you decide on, make sure you also get the large bottles of calibration solution, 4.1 and 7.1, and also the storage solution for the electrode.

To be accurate they should be calibrated prior to each use.

Also the electrodes have a short warranty, but usually last around 2 years if well cared for :oops:
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 30, 2015 17:18

Thanks BobK but I've read all that. I'm looking for someone with experience with a particular meter and their experiences good or bad. Tom
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Dec 30, 2015 18:09

I just spoke with Brian at Milwaukee yesterday. He is very helpful. The MW102 compensates the PH taking temperature into consideration. He did tell me the fact that if the contents you are measuring is within 45-85 degrees, the temperature will only affect the PH by 1/100th of a point, which is why he suggested I could get away with the MW101. I chose to purchase the MW102 anyway. but when I discussed meat and soft cheeses, he highly recommended the MA920B/1 meat probe. Unfortunately, when you buy the MW102, it only comes with the standard probe, so you should purchase the MA920 ala carte. The extra bottles of solutions are the MA9007 (7PH), MA9004(4 PH) and the MA9015 storage solution. If you think you need the cleaning solution, use it with caution. It's as strong as battery acid MA9015. The probe that comes standard with the MW102 will work great for the swimming pool:) That MA920 probe is not cheap. I think that probe alone was close to 90.00
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Dec 30, 2015 18:37

If you really need to test a carcass or solid block of cheese get the meat probe if not, take it from their site: "pH is measured electrochemically using either glass or solid state (IS-FET) electrodes. However, electrochemically based methods are slow to use and do not offer good precision on unhomogenized meat."

you really don't need a meat probe to test a slurry. That's my 2 cents :shock:

But the probe is easier to clean :mrgreen:

http://www.milwaukeeinstruments.com/phinmeat/

P.S. the cleaner is acetone
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 30, 2015 19:44

Thanks LOUSANTELLO and Bobk it appears this unit really needs the optional probe to be effective. I can't justify spending several hundred dollars just to test pH. The trek goes on. Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Dec 30, 2015 20:34

:?: My point was you do not need the meat probe.

Don't have one probably never will.

I use the one that came with the unit

redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 31, 2015 17:47

I have this unit. http://www.digital-meters.com/chemical- ... ph-212-p75

My first probe lasted a year because I was probably not taking proper care of it. So I ordered a couple of extra ones. And a few months later I dropped one probe and now I am on my third one. This meter will read electrodes made by other manufacturers as lon they have a BNC connection.

The meter has become indispensible in my sausage and wine making.
Rich
User
User

Post by Rich » Fri Jan 01, 2016 06:28

Been making wing, and umm...spirits ? For many years...never had a PH meter...but, gonna get one soon ! BTW, Happy and bountiful year !

Cheers,

Rich
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 02, 2016 19:17

Bob the probe that came with your meter isn't the meat probe they recommend and I understand the reason for not needing that probe. Can you tell me what the probe that came with your unit was designed to test, pH?

I see Redzed uses a soil meter. How does this work in comparison to Bob's meter?

Kind of confusing but you guys are the experts. Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jan 02, 2016 20:01

Almost all of the electrodes are designed to test liquids. The electrode that came with the unit can be used on a variety of items from food and dairy to aquarium water and the Milwaukee site lists it for multiple purposes. They are a rather fragile glass bulb that is protected by a plastic shield, but still allows contact with what is being tested.
The temperature probe that comes with the unit allows for auto temp compensation when testing Ph

The cheese/ meat probes have a more robust (solid state) bulb/electrode that allows them to penetrate semi solids like cheese/ soil/ meat without damaging the bulb.

Either one will test the Ph of an emulsion.
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 05, 2016 03:48

Thanks Bob, Milwaukee it is thanks for the info. Another tool in my arsenal. Tom
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 05, 2016 05:05

Tom wrote:I see Redzed uses a soil meter. How does this work in comparison to Bob's meter?
Tom, my meter is not a soil tester. The Lutron 212 will read any electrode with a BNC connection. The electrode I use is designed for solid foods like meat and cheese. No need to make a slurry. I just wanted to point this out so that others will not run out and buy a soil meter. It will not work.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 10, 2016 19:17

I'm shopping around for a new electrode and ran across this website. Looks like some great deals on the Milwaukee meters you guys have been discussing.

http://www.eseasongear.com/phtesting.html
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu Mar 24, 2016 00:16

Bob K wrote:My point was you do not need the meat probe. Don't have one probably never will.
I use the one that came with the unit
BobK, I just got the MW102 with the standard probe. Would it be too much trouble for you to tell us procedurally how you use the standard probe. I have spent considerable time searching for this to no avail.
Thanks, Phil
Phil