PHOTO GALLERY of Smoked Pork Products

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 14:57

Post your photos of Smoked Pork Products here (if your post does not contain a recipe).

[center]Started curing 8 days ago.
12lbs. of pork belly

All rubbed down

After 7 days of cure hanging in the refer over night

After two hours of maple smoke

Brought to 150* IT and back into the refer to firm up than onto the slicer
Image[/center]

Had some for lunch, very nice. Salt level and the maple flavor was just perfect. After lunch went to the slicer downstairs and got it all sliced up. Need to find a better way to package it so it looks more professional .

Now I'm trying my hand at some of that Bacon Jam that has been posted here. Hope it turns out good as everyone said it is. Sure smell good so far.

After simmering in a crock pot most of the afternoon

It was time to get it in to the food processor

All sealed up and off to the refer to cool down

I only did one pound of bacon, wish I did a lot more. It is so good
Last edited by Devo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 09:33, edited 2 times in total.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sat Dec 10, 2011 00:41

It all looks great! Good job.
Dick

Never quit learning!
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 00:50

Wow Devo that looks great! Breakfast at your place this weekend?? Nice job... :wink:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 10, 2011 02:49

Tells us your address> I will bring eggs and orange juice. :grin:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 04:24

ssorllih wrote:Tells us your address> I will bring eggs and orange juice. :grin:
If that orange juice includes Vodka than i'm in even if its for breakfast :razz: :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Just another bacon story

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 11, 2011 01:55

On the 1st of Decenber I cut a slab of meat and fat from the skin side of two pork butts. Removed the shoulder blades and cut the rest of the butts in half. So I have four rather thick pieces and two slabs. I calculated the salt and cure on weight allowing 2% salt and .25 % cure #1 That is 20 grams of salt and 2.5 grams of cure #1 per kilogram of meat. I added sugar and molassas at the rate of a tablespoonful per kilo. This I mixed and rubbed into each piece and used all that I had mixed. I placed all of the meat into a 2 mil plastic bag and the whole into the refrigerator. I rotated and massaged the bag and contents everyday. Today I pulled the slabs, rinsed them and set them to dry. Image
When they were dry enough to not leave my fingers sticky I started the smoke with no heat. Image
After three hours of cold hickory smoke I lit the small burner in the grill and raised the temperature to about 100 degrees, and then to abot 160. Image After two more hours the the internal temperature was 145 to 152 depending on where I probed. so I turned of the heat and left everything cool down. I used about a half slab of hickory 12 inches long and six inches wide and allowed the last piece to finish. The outside temperature tonight is in the low thirty's so the smoker is as good as the fridge.
This is one finished piece. Image
And this is the same piece cut across the center. I fried a piece for taste and Nancy said We will never again buy bacon.Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 02:10

Nice job and I agree on buying bacon again. Store bought has so much water in it and no flavor
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 11, 2011 02:31

Store bought boils before it fries and it will rot in the fridge in a week.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 08:07

Great job ol' pard! Now make some great homemade frankfurters, par-boil 'em, wrap them with your bacon and grill them in smoke. Heavenly! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 09:06

Nice job Devo, proves one thing - you ain't no beginner mate !
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 00:55

After seeing Ross and Devo's photo's of their bacon without skin my mind is made up to make it the same way from now on. It certainly must make the curing quicker and smoke absorbtion better
Great job well done.
I just wish that I can class myself in the same league. Gentlemen I am jealous!!!!!!!!! Honest!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 13, 2011 01:08

Jan, Don't Dispair! That is only my third attempt and what I used normally isn't cut as bacon . That's pork bellies. My cut was just a slab from the skin side of the butt. My first attempts at this business resulted in the saltiest stuff you could imagine. So I decided to go to the other extreme and use only as much salt and cure as I wanted in the finished product. I gave the meat lots of time to absorb the salt and cure. I figured the sugar would catch up at some point. And it does. I honestly don't know any more about this business than you know but if we don't kill ourselves maybe we can figure it out.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Dec 13, 2011 01:32

ssorllih wrote:My first attempts at this business resulted in the saltiest stuff you could imagine.
Ross, the ham I made (the topic "my Ham project") was also very salty. Yesterday I simmered the Ham in a large stock pot for some hours to reach a IMT of 160 F.
It did remove a large amount of the salty taste.

Yes it does alter the texture in that one now no longer has that "firm ham" or in your case the bacon, but it was very good and tender afterwards.

Then back to your cut of Bacon, everywhere I look to find Pork belly here, it is 80% (estimated) fat, hardly meat. If I had to try make bacon, I would use the same cut you used. It looks much better.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 13, 2011 01:42

Bubba, Early on when i first started I had about a dozen turkey wing sections. The two bone portion. I brined them and smoked them and they would have endured to the next ice age, they were so salty. Like you did, I simmered them and I may even have changed the water but I finally got the salt down to where they could be eaten and the cooking was a good thing.
For the rest of this month Wegmans has butts for 1.29 per pound so I am off tomorrow to get at least a couple more. I may know what some of my friends will get for christmas.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 23:49

Two months ago I cured 2 pork loins and injected 10% of meat weight.
Cured for 7 days, I tried a small piece and found it too salty.
As a trial I submerged both loins in water, one for 8 hours and the other about 18 hours.
The 18 hour job was perfect.
Hot smoked them as well but finished them off in the oven to get to 75C.
The end result turned out very nice.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane