PHOTO GALLERY of Smoked Pork Products

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Feb 25, 2013 03:10

That CB looks perfect Kevin!

Have you also found that letting it nap a few days in the refrigerator improves the taste a lot?
Ron
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Feb 25, 2013 16:50

Bubba wrote:That CB looks perfect Kevin!

Have you also found that letting it nap a few days in the refrigerator improves the taste a lot?
Thanks, Bubba!
I've found with certain meat products, the additional rest time in the fridge really helps both the taste & the texture. Stronger smokey flavors seem to mellow a bit, and meats firm up. Summer sausages really benefit from this time as well as meat sticks.
With this CB, I didnt want to allow too much rest in the fridge time as extended time can tend to dry out (suck out the moisture) from hanging meat. This CB was already quite firm with a fairly dense smokey pellicle, so I sliced everything up & vac-sealed it to retain moisture. BUT after a day in the fridge, the flavor, as my sons used to say when they were younger, is "MORE better" than the first day. :mrgreen:

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 26, 2013 17:29

Thanks for posting those pics Kevin, I must have missed them originally. Seeing the poacher set-up with the top on and dual thermometers makes everything all clear to me now. I was struggling to reach and maintain water temp last week when doing a batch of smoked Polish so I aborted the water bath and just kept the batch in the smoker until 152° IT was reached. Now I know what the tiny hole in the turkey roaster top is for! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 18:46

Ray, so long as you can get an accurate DIAL thermometer, you should be in great shape. The long-stemmed Taylor dial thermometer I use through the poacher top tested out to be fairly accurate (boiling water test).

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Tue May 14, 2013 02:36

Received this smoker for xmas. Made jerky a couple of times and a cured leg of ham, ham hocks and bacon. All turned out great. Already planning to build a bigger smoker

Half way through my first ham

Finished ham

Bacon and ham hocks

Finished bacon

This is mum rearing the next lot of sausages and smallgoods. Sorry, couldn't help myself
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Sep 28, 2013 03:03

Enjoying a smoke-a-thon. Might have bit off more than I can chew though.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 03:48

Joe, you have been a very busy boy! :lol: It looks great.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Sep 28, 2013 05:33

I have been busy. Am a tired puppy too with a regained respect for the effect of ambient temp on a smoke house and that darn collagen stall.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 28, 2013 07:09

I forgot the time you want us to come over? :lol: